Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/22/2007, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

xenia explosion!

hi. i have a bit of a problem with my xenia. it's growing out of control! i knew that it can grow like a weed but i didn't expect it to grow as fast as it is. can i cut it off rock with the rock still in the tank or will it release toxins? i'd like to try to glue it or epoxy it to the glass to keep it off the rocks. here's a couple pics...

here it is 2 months ago when i got it

here it is as of yesterday

it started on that small coraline covered rock and has grown and moved. i must get it off those zoas and really get it off the LR all together. how should i go about doing this? THANK YOU!!
Old 10/22/2007, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

Good luck. Mine went from 1 stock to about 8 now in less than 2 months. The only way to maybe remove it is to cut the rock apart? What about moving the zoos?
0.0.1 Bearded Dragon

The Reptile File
Old 10/23/2007, 06:00 AM
Registered Member

actually thats not very much xenia
Old 10/23/2007, 07:23 AM
Registered Member

Put that rock next to the glass u want the xenia on. If it can go up, it will do so on its own. And thats not much Xenia at all. When 90% of the serfices in yuor tank will be covered with the staff, it rely will be, but till than just enjoy it. And when u do reache the point of realy having too much (a long way from where u r now), just tair some of it off and enjoy nutrient export (no problem doing that under water).
Old 10/23/2007, 10:27 AM
Registered Member

i know that's not much xenia that's why im taking action now. i don't want 90% of the surface of my tank covered in it which is why i am moving it to my glass. sorry if i implied that i thought i had a huge amnt of it. :P anywho my main questions are if i can cut it off the rock while still in the tank (which was answered on another forum that i can indeed) and how i can attach the part that i cut off the LR (the big part that moved off the rubble rock) to the glass. i might just toss that part and shove the rubble piece against the glass if no one can help me...
Old 10/24/2007, 04:09 PM
Registered Member

that xenia looks really nice. its too bad its a horrible shipper otherwise i might try to get some from ya!

i have about 12 or so groups growing in my tank right now and they are doing pretty well, id like to get a few types though... xenia is my favorite.
Old 10/29/2007, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

I had a stalk of xenia and the stuff was taking over my tank about two years later. All the forums I've read either had it not grow or grow out of control. It got to the point where I couldn't get it our of the tank fast enough and finally admited defeat. All the rocks on the top half of the tank were covered with the stuff until we moved from our house to the appartment. I took the move as an oppertunity to finally get rid of the stuff. Several hours later with a stiff brush I think i may be on the winning side of things. I only see two stalks trying to come back at the moment but it's only been two days since rebuild so well see.
As for shipping........ I've have five stalks on the side glass and just for s&g's i figured i'd see what would happen if the stuff was out of the water for a few hours. Three hours later and not in a drop of water just the slime during the move. Today I see it is starting to pulse. My recommendation is keep after it so it is only a few stalks or get rid of it unless you really like xenia.
Old 10/30/2007, 02:55 PM
Registered Member

The silver xenia's seem to grow very very fast, I just fragged a stock from 24g and threw it in my 12g a couple weeks ago and it has already split into 3 new stocks. You could try moving it onto the back side of your tank so it will cover it like a blanket which always looks pretty cool.
Old 10/30/2007, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

Mine was growing a lot when i first got it, but lately it hasn't been growing at all.
It used to be doing really good a couple months ago, then it started to not look as good. iv'e heard that it does that so i hope it starts doing better again.
Old 11/02/2007, 07:59 PM
Registered Member

I found that removing xenia is easy. Don't cut it ...the base will only grow and spread. Gently grab the base and pull it from the rock. It will come off and the chances of it growing back are minimal.
Old 11/04/2007, 09:08 AM
Sps Junkie

Xenia can be a total nightmare if not watched closely. It will spread all over your tank if you allow it to do so. I have pom pom all over my sps dominant tank and I hate every stalk. When I started reefing I loved the stuff but wish I would have been warned and wasn't. I am now trying to kill the stuff. Its pure evil!!!!
Old 11/05/2007, 11:29 PM
Registered Member

Has anyone had any luck getting credit from their lfs for xenia's?
Old 11/06/2007, 09:32 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Here in NY yes. LFS buy our Pom-Pom xenias.

Pablo
[violation]

Last edited by geo; 11/18/2007 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11/06/2007, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

Does anyone know how long Xenia cxan last out of water?

I am about to move a 20 gal that has xenia on the back glass near the top. I'll have to drain the tank at least half way down to move it and will not be able to fill it for an hour or so.
Old 11/06/2007, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by audio101
All the time. Helped pay for setting up a new tank--lighting, pump, rock, etc..

Now, if I could just come up with a sure fire way to ship it. Then I'd be in bid-ness.

"I'm all for it!" Coach John McCay, Buccaneers