Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/21/2007, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

Question black background for aquarium?

Can someone help me with adding a balck background? Ive heared of a spray type.I need help or ideas with adding and installing it. thanks in advance. If anyone can post pics that would be very helpful. thanks in advance.
Old 10/21/2007, 11:30 AM
Moved On

get some of the black vinyl from your local fish store. Smear it with vasoline, and use a credit card to smooth it out on the back of the tank. Will be no visable air bubbles, and no unsightly tape holding it on.
Old 10/21/2007, 11:31 AM
Registered Member

also just paint is fine.

I like blue not black JMO

Don't keep track of how much money you spend on your system. You will enjoy it much more that way :-)
Old 10/21/2007, 11:38 AM
Registered Member

Black Krylon Fusion spray paint is what I used
Old 10/21/2007, 11:40 AM
Registered Member

what kind of pain??? and as far as vasoline??? that sounds like a sticky mess does anyone have a pic using this? I want to get this done today so i have to choose what will work...as of now i dont think the paint will work because my aquarium is to close to the wall, i figured my live rock would fill everything it but i dont like the light bouncing off the wall....thx for the advise please keep them coming.
Old 10/21/2007, 11:43 AM
Registered Member

I chose the paint option. I went to Lowe's and got some black paint (cheaper from the quick sale area, where you can almost always find black paint) to paint the back of my 265g reef tank. Simply Lovely! I used only a foam brush / small foam roller to paint the 7foot long tank. I love it! Black is awesome, hides dirt and provides the tank w/ much depth. I also chose it because I am using 3 x 400watts XM 20k, so it will reflect a nice blue hue. Here's a photo of my tank

Last edited by NUBIANTANGLOVER; 10/21/2007 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10/21/2007, 11:54 AM
Registered Member

very nice tank especially the aquascapping thx for the info. did you also do the sides?
Old 10/21/2007, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

i got a 1/8in piece of clear plexi glass the exact size of the back of my glass (the inside of the braces) and spray painted one side of it with black krylon fusion spray paint. Then i used velcro to stick it to the back. Did it this way in case i wanted to change the color of the back or if i use the tank in the future as a room ddivider.
Old 10/21/2007, 06:54 PM
I think I love my tank

Good idea Burbs.
Longnose Hawkfish
Magnificent Rabbitfish
Diamond Goby
Blond Naso Tang
Bluechin Trigger

I got the poo on me.
Old 10/21/2007, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

I went to office max and used black poster board and taped it to the back, looking at it you would never know it's not paint.
Old 10/21/2007, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Todesengel
get some of the black vinyl from your local fish store. Smear it with vasoline, and use a credit card to smooth it out on the back of the tank. Will be no visable air bubbles, and no unsightly tape holding it on.
I've heard of this before, but totally forgot about it. I hear baby oil gel works well too.
Old 10/21/2007, 07:56 PM
Registered Member

I chose to paint my tank as many of the others have posted. I used the Krylon Fusion paint and brushed / rolled it on.
Old 10/21/2007, 09:07 PM
Registered Member

if you head over to your local car alarm/tint shop you can purchase the TINT FILM for cars...get something like 3% and you should be set...you have to have an idea of how to tint windows in order to do this but im sure you will figure it out...its a lot safer just spray water and peel away....thats what i did...two layers and you have a BLACK BACKGROUND

hope this helps ya

FELIX
Old 10/21/2007, 10:15 PM
Registered Member

thanks for all the info the best idea so far was using the velcro mainly because i already have the tank set up and i barely have enough room in the back..using the velro i can always change the color..today i purchased a background with black on one side and blue on the other..im going with black for now thanks for all who posted...id like yo see pics with a black and a blue background if possible...take care
Old 10/22/2007, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

local pet shop buy vinyl use dishwashing soap and water solution spray vinyl and apply to tank and rub smooth. It's easy and stays in place.
Old 10/22/2007, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

I wish I had painted mine B-4 I set it up. I was so busy getting the stand and everything else ready I didn't think of it. I guess I can't paint it now anyway.
Old 10/22/2007, 09:44 PM
Premium Member

Black Krylon Fusion looks the best IMO. spray about 3 or 4 light coats, let dry for a few days as it will chip easily until it cures for a few days.

For Extra Protection:
I had some background for the tank, and after I painted it, and it dried, I taped the background on to prevent chips to the paint from my equipment on the back.
Old 10/22/2007, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

NUBIANTANGLOVER that looks fantastic! Do you have a build page, I want to make sure to follow the progress!
Old 10/23/2007, 12:02 AM
Registered Member

Good old fashion krylon in black. I had the same issue tried the film from the store, and the cheap stuff to. The black paint has stayed on great and looks even better. Everyone I talked to at home depot said you cant get paint to stay on glass. BS.
Old 10/23/2007, 07:47 AM
Registered Member

I just used regular Krylon paint-on oil-based black paint....5 minutes and it was done....of course took 24 hours to fully dry. Not sure if water-based acrylic would be better or worse, but it looks good to me.
Old 10/23/2007, 09:09 AM
Registered Member

krylon fusion spray is awesome, it goes on so smooth. i used the whole can on my 65, as many coats as the can would allow, allowing each coat to dry before adding another. then polyurothane to prevent scratches. if its a in-wall set up or something that you will need to see in the tank from behind i would use window tint.
Old 10/23/2007, 09:09 AM
Registered Member

krylon fusion spray is awesome, it goes on so smooth. i used the whole can on my 65, as many coats as the can would allow, allowing each coat to dry before adding another. then polyurothane to prevent scratches. if its a in-wall set up or something that you will need to see in the tank from behind i would use window tint. krylon spray dries really fast also
Old 10/23/2007, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hugodboss
very nice tank especially the aquascapping thx for the info. did you also do the sides?
Thanks Hugodboss,

I didn't do the sides. This is because I wanted to be able to view the sides as well, since my tank is flushed against the wall. I just simply moved the tank from the wall (before it was filled with water, rock etc.) and painted the back of the tank. I let it dry for 24hours. I also made sure I had a lamp while I was painting the back of the tank so that I can see any areas where I did not paint completely or were not dark enough.
Old 10/23/2007, 03:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hugodboss
thanks for all the info the best idea so far was using the velcro mainly because i already have the tank set up and i barely have enough room in the back..using the velro i can always change the color..today i purchased a background with black on one side and blue on the other..im going with black for now thanks for all who posted...id like yo see pics with a black and a blue background if possible...take care
Hugodboss,

I'm sure it will work out, as many RC members have had awesome success w/ the background choice. I would have chosen that route too if I was not able to paint the back of my tank. Good Luck!
Old 10/23/2007, 03:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by m2434
NUBIANTANGLOVER that looks fantastic! Do you have a build page, I want to make sure to follow the progress!
M2434,
Thanks for the compliments. My build thread can be found at:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1185365

Enjoy!