Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/19/2007, 10:28 PM
Premium Member

Question Buying a new car and I must be confused.

So I did the online research. Went to my Dodge dealer and told them what I wanted to buy and spend (did the test drive yadda yadda). Of course I was quoted thousands more than my research indicated. I pointed out my search results with replies like "huh?" and "what?" I ended up walking out without buying (knowing full well what these vehicles were going for). Am I just shopping at the wrong time of year? I was really dumbfounded that not only were they not willing to negotiate the price but acted like I should have known better. I left them my number and asked them to call me if they came up with anything. Errrr . . . Does everyone just walk in and pay whats asked these days?
Old 10/19/2007, 10:35 PM
Premium Member

yeah pretty much. I sold cars for a very short time 2 years ago. you should really shop around. Salesmen can be slick. They are being the slickest when you dont think they are trying to be slick at all. Look on kbb for new car values and pay attention to tv commercials pay attention to the price advertised and read fine print if you can. Any new car should have the msrp right on the window sticker, if it doesnt you should look for another dealer
Old 10/19/2007, 10:41 PM
Premium Member

i have a buddy i work with who bleeds dodge. he's been saying that with the 07's still on the lot there's dealer/maunfacturer savings to be had from dodge....i would keep checking dodge dealers
Old 10/19/2007, 10:52 PM
Premium Member

Well, judging from the behavior of my local dealer (which I bought my last truck from) the new Dodges are made of gold. I hate to do it (my trade in ya that 5.9l AWD in a Dakota kicks serious ***!) but I have to look at other options. My requirements are: must be all wheel drive, can't be wimpy, has 4 doors with at least some cargo area and gets close to 30 mpg hwy. What you say?
Old 10/19/2007, 11:02 PM
Premium Member

caliber maybe? my sister in law has one and once you get by the snowmobile transmission (belt) its not too bad. they do have an awd version and they can get out of their own way (although you won't blow too many doors off)
Old 10/19/2007, 11:27 PM
Premium Member

Jason thanks! I looked at the Caliber R/T AWD. They aren't willing to take less than 21K and the gas mileage really isn't that good on them. I know I'm being difficult. I guess there is just something cool about roasting the front AND rear tires at the same time (in bad weather) I just know I will miss with the econobox. I am thinking maybe Subaru WRX right now.
Old 10/20/2007, 06:29 AM
On "The List"

I don't know what part of the country you're in.
there is a dodge dealer in ID that I've done business with before, best prices in the country (at those times)
call, place order, fly in, they pick you up in Spokane, take you to the dealership, hand you the keys, drive home
the plane ticket & the cost to drive home has always been less than the cost savings
I have no affiliation with the dealer, but don't think I should post the name here, PM if you want it

HEY! I lost it first ~CRP

There is no "Brain" in "Brian." ~Beerguy
Old 10/20/2007, 09:38 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sherm71tank
Jason thanks! I looked at the Caliber R/T AWD. They aren't willing to take less than 21K and the gas mileage really isn't that good on them. I know I'm being difficult. I guess there is just something cool about roasting the front AND rear tires at the same time (in bad weather) I just know I will miss with the econobox. I am thinking maybe Subaru WRX right now.
a wrx WILL be my next car. we're in the city, but all the relatives are on the otehr side of the dreaded WNY snowbelt so i'm leaning that way for sure
Old 10/20/2007, 09:44 AM
clownfish fan

I love my WRX . i just picked it up this past summer.

I wont say too much about the Caliber exept its horrible looking they do make an SRT model thats ok.

when you say WRX do you mean 06-07 or older, or do you mean one of the new 08?
Old 10/20/2007, 09:48 AM
clownfish fan

Here Mine, The yellow was something that took getting used to but its grown on me, and once i get some Black rims and new headlights i think it will look good.
Old 10/20/2007, 10:20 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
I love my WRX . i just picked it up this past summer.

I wont say too much about the Caliber exept its horrible looking they do make an SRT model thats ok.

when you say WRX do you mean 06-07 or older, or do you mean one of the new 08?
Is it me or does the 08 look like a Mazda?
Old 10/20/2007, 01:29 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Is it me or does the 08 look like a Mazda?

looks kinda lik a camry from the front Camry too

the hatch looks like a mazda 3

the only 08 i like is the STI that hasnt been released yet its got some beefed up lines

06-07 WRX are great, there are plenty of used 04-05 wrx that can be had too.
Old 10/20/2007, 01:55 PM
in the bathtub

Quote:
Originally posted by BigSkyBart
I don't know what part of the country you're in.
there is a dodge dealer in ID that I've done business with before, best prices in the country (at those times)
call, place order, fly in, they pick you up in Spokane, take you to the dealership, hand you the keys, drive home
the plane ticket & the cost to drive home has always been less than the cost savings
I have no affiliation with the dealer, but don't think I should post the name here, PM if you want it
Coeur d'laine is lovely this time a year.

Ed: "I hate to tell you this Dr., but there aren't any fish in that river. In fact, there isn't any river."
Dr. Lao: "That's ok. Me no use bait."
Old 10/21/2007, 09:47 PM
Premium Member

Don't know what possessed me but I decided to stop by a Ford dealer today when running errands. I was offered four thousand more for my Dakota (than the Dodge dealership did and a 2K rebate on a 2007 AWD Fusion with 50 miles on it. It wasn't exactly what I was looking for but it's AWD, V-6, loaded with cool stuff and gets about triple the mileage my truck does. It also doesn't care what KIND of gas I use in it. They get good reviews and I hope to add one of my own to the list.
Old 10/21/2007, 09:51 PM
Premium Member

good call. for a newer vehicle they haven't had much i've seen along the lines of recalls

and i'm a ford guy anyways
Old 10/21/2007, 09:55 PM
Premium Member

great choice, I would love to get one of those, right after I get an f250 4x4 ext. cab longbed. In like 20 years
Old 10/21/2007, 09:58 PM
Premium Member

Hardest thing to get used to will be the higher revving engine. It doesn't seem to move until you get into 4+ on the tach. That's ok though. I played with the traction control (which I thought odd to have on an AWD vehicle) but it's really cool. Without it on you can have some fun in the turns!
Old 10/21/2007, 11:35 PM
clownfish fan

Good buy, i too have an 07 ford. Your car is based on a mazda 6 mine is too, ford does a lot with this mazda 6 here is my version of the same car

is it the 265hp v6? that engine is pretty in my lincoln does require flogging, but mine is heavy.

does yours have the 7 speed auto?

Last edited by GSMguy; 10/21/2007 at 11:46 PM.
Old 10/21/2007, 11:49 PM
Premium Member

It is a 6 speed automatic w/ v 6 nice looking ride!
Old 10/21/2007, 11:51 PM
Premium Member

Sorry, no chance for pics yet. I will try tomorrow.
Old 10/21/2007, 11:52 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
It is a 6 speed automatic w/ v 6 nice looking ride!
thanks
The 7 speed must be to get decent Gas mileage out of the suv...

post some pics of yours!

i like mine its like riding on air compared to the wrx. and has a huge sunroof. thx stereo is the best stock audio system i have heard.
Old 10/21/2007, 11:54 PM
Premium Member

Quick google looks like it's 221 hp stock.
Old 10/22/2007, 06:15 AM
Always a Buckeye

LOL @ doing research and still attempting to buy a Dodge.
Old 10/22/2007, 06:56 AM
Registered Member

YOu know, it's funny you should mention strange looks from dealers. I get one every time I haul out a dog kennel to see if it fits in the back. "I don't care how many HP it has, can I fit two kennels in the back?" Yep, I'm officially a dork.

In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog. - Edward Hoagland
Old 10/22/2007, 07:29 AM
Registered Member

To simplify your purchasing....simply take 13% off MSRP. THats pretty much a bare bones deal. Take another 3% if you really want to make them hurt. Thats the minimum $ the dealership wants per sale.