Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/03/2007, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

Question On Angels and Anthias...

To make a long story short, I recently ended my run as a reefer. At least for now. I have been a reef keeper for just over 6 years and an incident that brought my tank up to 94ºF was the nail in the coffin for me. Fortunately a few of my very large SPS corals somehow managed to make it through the disaster and I was able to find a home for them in only a few hours of coming home to a very humid and smelly house. The tank has now been down since labor day weekend while I reconsidered my goals as far as the tank goes.

I have decided that I need something new to reinvigorate my interest in this salty hobby, and after so much time keeping corals, I've decided that I'm kind of done with that for a while. Maybe the temp disaster was a mixed blessing in that respect.

I'm interested in fish I've never bothered with as coral has always been my primary focus, but nothing super aggressive. I had a brief stint with a predator tank a few years ago that didn't pan out. I'm looking into an angel of the genicanthus species, probably the japanese swallowtail male as well as a small group of anthias.

Without turning this into a discussion of tank size, equipment, etc I'd like to hear some opinions on the compatibility of genicanthus angels with other fish, especially anthias.

It's time to try something new, focus on those that swim rather than that which grows, and get going again. With a genicanthus as my intended centerpiece, what are my best bets for tank mates?

Thanks.
Old 10/04/2007, 01:29 AM
Registered Member

I keep a male watanabei with anthias and fairies, they get along great. eat a lot though....lol.
Old 10/04/2007, 11:23 AM
Registered Member

that family of angels are pretty much reef safe as well. So I think you'll be fine.

I had the Exact same thing happen to me, never had anything but reefs, actually pretty much only had sps. But heat drove the nail in the coffin. I'm now with a 220 FOWLR. So far all I have is the fish from my former reef, but just added a juv. emporer yesterday

good luck
Old 10/04/2007, 11:30 AM
Keeper of Tangs

swallow tails are also great angels to.
Old 10/07/2007, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jay2525
I keep a male watanabei with anthias and fairies, they get along great. eat a lot though....lol.
Sounds great, and I'd actually be quite interested in a watanabei if it weren't for the price. I'm looking for something lower maintenance and lower risk. I just don't have the time for this hobby that I used to, but in the month that my tank's been down I've found that I really can't live without something swimming in my house.
Old 10/10/2007, 12:13 AM
Registered Member

Both genicanthus angels and anthias are pretty much reef safe. Just fyi.
Old 10/10/2007, 03:41 PM
Registered Member

I recently added a Scribbled angel to my 220 and what a fabulous fish it is. Great coloration, temperment and is super intelligent more so than any in the tank.