Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/02/2007, 01:22 AM
Certified FL Aquaculture

How old are your clownfish pair?

I think I probably have one of the oldest pair of clownfish currently in captivity. They are a retired pair of Maroon Clowns from ORA and we figure they are about 30 years old and have been together at least 28. I received them from ORA early this year when they wanted a good home to retire them to and to my surprise they recently began spawning again. I've also got a pair of true percs that are close to 10 years old.

I'm now really interested in researching how long they'll live and how long others have been able to keep a pair or even a single clownfish. How long did they spawn for? I love to educate folks on proper husbandry of fish and would love lots of examples to share that prove that taking good care of our finned friends can mean many years of good health. Thanks for sharing. Marcye
Old 10/02/2007, 05:40 AM
Registered Member

My blk saddle back iv had for for 4 yrs but are wc caught so dont know the actual age. but telling fro the size of them i would say at least 10 yrs! But that a crap shot
Old 10/02/2007, 01:59 PM
Certified FL Aquaculture

Here's a recent pic of Paul and Paulette:

Old 10/02/2007, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

My LFS has a pair in a display tank and they are listed as 16 years old.
Old 10/02/2007, 07:27 PM
Slowly Stocking

I think there was someone on this board that had a pair of perc's or ocellaris for 20 some years.

Check the red house.
Old 10/02/2007, 07:48 PM
Certified FL Aquaculture

I've been asked a lot what the lifespan is on clownfish so it's great to hear that so many live long lives. My percs are about 10 years old now so it's great to know I have years yet to enjoy them.
Old 10/02/2007, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

I can't match 30 years, but I had a pair of wild caught ocellaris for over 16 years and they were still spawning. I lost them because I didn't read the fine print on a red slime algae cure.
I felt really bad for a long time.
Old 10/02/2007, 10:50 PM
Certified FL Aquaculture

sorry for your loss.
Old 10/02/2007, 11:08 PM
Premium Member

My LFS has a BTA that's been around since '84 and a pair of Occelaris that have been around since '85 I believe. The BTA is a monster, easily 24" wide, and supposedly has never been fed anything other than oyster eggs and cyclopeeze.
Old 10/02/2007, 11:24 PM
Certified FL Aquaculture

24" is enormous! Does it have the green mouth? Most I've seen get that big do.
Old 10/03/2007, 03:32 PM
Keeper of Tangs

Marcye your two are gorgeous< I love how big the girl is!
Old 10/03/2007, 08:45 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Me No Nemo
24" is enormous! Does it have the green mouth? Most I've seen get that big do.
It's tenticles are green, not sure about the mouth. I'll have to try to get in there and snap a picture, maybe this weekend.
Old 10/04/2007, 11:54 AM
Zoa Color Pirate

Rainforest cafe in orlando has some false percs that are pushing 10 years old & their water conditions are NO WHERE near "good".
Old 10/07/2007, 10:42 PM
Certified FL Aquaculture

A few new pics of these guys as I got a couple emails asking. Thanks to Christie and Kevin for their excellent camera skills:

Paulette

Paul

Paul and Paulette

Old 10/07/2007, 10:45 PM
Certified FL Aquaculture

Also, this is about a 4 year old sebae anemone that, when open is bigger than a dinner platter and is very healthy! Just to gauge how big these fish are...they look pretty tiny in this pic. It was donated by one of my customers to house Paul and Paulette as it had outgrown her tank. Believe it or not, this anemone came out of a 55 gallon tank and was housed for 5 years under PC's