Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/28/2007, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

thought on 29bc refuge

I was thinking about turning the back of my 29 bc in to by placing two baffles in the back, also for lighting I thought of putting some sort of pc 50/50 light in the back... What is some of your thoughts on doing this?
Old 09/28/2007, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

What's in the tank?
Old 09/28/2007, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

I PUT A FUGE IN THE BACK OF MY 29G BC. i scraped the black off the back and also put lr on the bottom and then put some calupera in there. For a light i actually went to home depot and got a t-5 36w light and it works great.i have to pull out some about once a week because it grows so fast.
Old 09/28/2007, 04:57 PM
Registered Member

NM...you have it your signature.

I have a AP24 and there is a fuge in the back. Lots or LR and then chaetos on top of the live rock and a mini PC light in the back. (from DFS- it's the 18W Corelife i think). Stuff grows like crazy and has to be trimmed down once every 2 weeks. Helps the tank a lot!!
Old 09/29/2007, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

Did you hang the light inside the stock canopy? im trying to keep the nice looking stock finish...
Old 09/29/2007, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

No, the light is on the backside of the tank. If you have it on top then the light will spill into the tank. You don't want that.
If you would turn that light off at night with the chaetos inside you would probably get PH swings - so the small light on the back is always on. I don't think ours has been turned off for 3 months or so.
You could also try a reverse cycle with that light.
Old 09/29/2007, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

I've got a skimmer in chamber 2 so I decided to throw some rubble and cheato in chamber 1 by the heater. So far so good without an extra light. I'm really trying to grow pods moreso than nutrient export so your mileage may vary.
Old 09/29/2007, 06:11 PM
Registered Member

True. Depends on what you want to use the chaetos for...
Old 09/29/2007, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

what I would like to have is pod growth to seed the rest of my tank, keep everything that is in my tank happier... Is there any way that is known, to make a divider between the main display and back portion of the tank. Allowing for a revere light cycle and not have the light "spill" over to the main tank?
Old 09/30/2007, 03:26 AM
Registered Member

i scraped the paint off the back of my bc where the 2nd section is in the back. i then have my light running down the back of the aquarium shining through where i scraped off the paint. works like a charm and i have had my light on continously for about 3 months.