Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How Ghetto Is My Light Fixture?
Take it back to Detroit! 3 20.00%
Just take it off if you are expecting company. 7 46.67%
It's not that bad. 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09/23/2007, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

Cierra's 3G Pico, PICTURES!

First off, a big ol' HIDIHO to everyone who doesn't know me yet! I have been putting together a 3g pico. You can view my construction blog here (lots of pictures!):

Cierra's 3G Pico Setup, Construction Phase!

Just to get everyone on the same page, I bought a clam reciently and everyone was saying "You need more light blah blah blah, nitrates, too fast..." Everything in my tank was "living" at the start, live rock, live sand, live filtering, even live water. I did have 18 watts (6w/g) on my 3g pico, but as of today I have 48watts (16w/g)! Wait until you see the pics of this! So GHETTO! And no, my corals are not cooking, the temperature has actually dropped from 82F to 80F (the 18watt light got really hot!).

I know that the pictures alone won't show you the major difference in appearance, so let me just say, my corals have AMAZING color now. OK, enough with my yappin' (blah blah), please leave comments, tell me whether my aquarium looks ghetto or not?

BEFORE...

AFTER...

Ghetto?

Looks pretty...

This is about as close as I can get with my digi-cam.

Thanks for lookin'!

Cierra
Old 09/23/2007, 06:48 PM
------------

Hello!

Well I think that your tank doesn't look ghetto on the inside. The huge hood over top of the tank definately adds the ghetto touch. But hey, there's nothing wrong with that as long as you don't mind.

The clam looks awesome. I don't know much about them but I really hope that it does well under this lighting.

Can you take the lights out of that (biocube?) hood and make it less ghetto?
Old 09/23/2007, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

LOL! Thanks for the reply! This is the lid to a 12g nano cube. I looked into taking it apart but there are so many fans and such, taking it apart would just give it a "home brewed" touch. I did unscrew the flap lid which gave a perfect space for my filter on the side.

Thanks again!

Cierra

Old 09/23/2007, 08:58 PM
my member is registered.

if the temps are stable and you don't mind the "ghetto" look then I say keep it!.
Old 09/24/2007, 03:03 AM
Registered Member

eh.. i've seen worse
Old 09/24/2007, 05:19 AM
Enjoying Life

Not that bad....at all actually. Just as long as you don't mind it, there shouldn't be a problem right?...
Old 09/24/2007, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

What kind of clam is that? I think 48w of light is still too little for a clam, maybe a derasa but not a maxima or crocea, but that JMO
Old 09/24/2007, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

The light I have now is from my b/f's 12g nano cube. He bought a 70watt which made his tank look alot brighter. Now that the light 48watt is on my 3g pico, it looks brighter than the 70watt on his 12g nano.

As for the clam, I have no idea what kind it is, I have pictures posted if anyone knows.
Old 09/24/2007, 05:34 PM
Premium Member

looks like a T. Maxima.
Old 09/24/2007, 06:06 PM
Frag-a-holic

In that shallow of a tank, it should be fine with that lighting. People need the MH and T5 because most of them have deeper tanks. I think PC is fine up to around 8-10 inches. I have kept clams at the bottom of an 18" tank with PC lighting and they were happy for over a year until I took the tank down. I had a lot of PC over the tank though. If you could find somebody to build you a nice little canopy and retro the lights and fans in it, it would look a lot better though. Other than that, the tank looks nice though.

Save a reef, trade a frag!
Old 09/24/2007, 06:57 PM
Registered Member

Canopy lighting would look nice but I would have to move my filter to the back. The flow and everything in my tank is perfect, I would hate to mess things up just to make it look a bit nicer. Definately in time I will get a nicer looking light but I don't want to spend all the money and then get tired of my tank. We will see if I am still into the salt hobby a year from now.

Thanks for the responses! Keep an eye out for future posts from me!

Cierra
Old 09/24/2007, 07:49 PM
Premium Member

ditto on what GrandeGixxer said. Some people think you HAVE to run 400 watt MHs to keep a clam, no matter what other factors are. Those people are simply insane. Too many people have kept clams with other lighting over long periods of time. Your previous lighting might have been sufficient. The only way to make an educated guess is with a PAR meter. And even then, you need to determine PUR, which is different light to light in the same wattage. As others said, how the light housing looks aesthetically is for you to determine. My concern with keeping a clam in that tank would be Calcium usage. 2 gallons of water doesn't hold much Alk/Ca, so the levels will swing a lot. The nitrates are good for a clam.
Old 09/24/2007, 09:51 PM
Registered Member

Thanks, that was helpful! I do supply both types of calcium in small quantities every 3 days or so.

On another note, my clam has been "using the little ladies room" alot. I am just going to assume that to be a good sign that he is getting plenty to eat. I also see new shell growing!
Old 10/05/2007, 06:38 PM
Registered Member

Update!

Ok, I know you have all been worried about my pico and have been dying for an update...LOL! ::cough:: Since my tank is doing so well, I have taken on my boyfirend's neglected polyps which weren't doing so well, for all the zoanthids, they have increased in color and size!

I have labeled the pictures so you know what species I have so far.

1) Safecrackers
2) Greenbay Packers
3) Orange/Purple Ricordia
4) Blue Ricordia
5) Fire & Ice/ Lemon Lime
6) Radioactive Dragon Eyes
7) Palm Palm Xenia
8) Bleached Greenbay Packers (?)
9) Neon Yellow Ricordia x2
10) Neon Green Star Polyps
11) T. Maxima Clam

Enjoy!