Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/20/2007, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

clown tangs

just curious since they are really attractive, and relatively cheap. has anyone had any experience with them, are they really aggressive? need a lot of swimming room like the majority of tangs?

"Once you've taken a few punches and realize you're not made of glass, you don't feel alive unless you're pushing yourself as far as you can go." -Green Street Hooligans
Old 09/20/2007, 02:49 PM
Registered Member

they have very poor survival rates and are REALLY aggressive.
Old 09/20/2007, 03:41 PM
Keeper of Sharks

Yeah, they are at the same level of aggressiveness as the Sohal, if not more. I, personally, wouldn't put them in anything less than a 300g. But then again, thats just me.

"Risk something, take back whats yours. Say something that you know they might attack you for." - Linkin Park - Hands Held High
Old 09/21/2007, 09:57 AM
Registered Member

They really don't need space as much as they need STRONG current, which is usually not the case with FOWLR's. I believe they come from a really turbulent, rocky shoreline.
Old 09/21/2007, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

I've never had experience with the poor survival rate. They seem quite easy to me. I do have strong flow though. They always took to NLS 1mm pellets easily and shredded nori moving to a clip full. Even to shredded shrimp! They are just mean and swarm fish. I would say they are more of a species only kind of fish. Other fish hate them.
Old 09/21/2007, 12:23 PM
FOWLR

they are serious power swimmers.

I have seen a 12" clown tang in a 200g and it was almost down right cruel. He could go from one end of the tank to the other in 1.5sec.

Very active and very agressive. I would agree that the sohal tang is not as agressive as the clown tang.
Old 09/24/2007, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

mine wasn't so tough because he was housed with a larger purple.