Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/19/2007, 07:57 PM
Registered Member

Hermit crab is now inside my shell with zoanthids on it!

I got some zoos from a friend, and he gave them to me attached to an empty snail shell.

I checked this morning and my zoanthids were walking around! One of my blue legged hermits decided to go into the shell.

What should I, or can I, do about this?
Old 09/19/2007, 08:05 PM
Premium Member

Leave him be, nothing cooler than some zoos walking around :-)
Old 09/19/2007, 08:14 PM
Premium Member

Do you have a pic?
Old 09/19/2007, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

I had a hermit do the same thing about 3 months ago. It got tired of that shell and no one else has touched it since. It just sits on the sand growing zoa's
Old 09/19/2007, 09:20 PM
Premium Member

I have a small sea urchin that loves to fetch small rubble in the detrius and bring it up to me so I can remove it--great cleaning system. Its even found a rubber suction cub and the plastic guard from a power head , behind the reef and brought it up to the surface.
Old 09/19/2007, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

I had the same thing happen with a hermit of mine. I bought an empty shell with a beautiful little blue spotted red mushroom attached to it. I woke up one morning and it had vanished. I thought it had died, then later that day I saw it moving along the back of the tank!!!!!!
He dumped it after about a week or two, maybe it was too heavy for him to lug around!!!! It was kinda funny to watch though....