Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/19/2007, 05:26 PM
Moved On

Talking Ot: Attn All So Cal Diver / Snorkelers Please Help!

ok here is the deal...
i just moved to San Pedro... pretty much on the beach.... umm, well.. i gotta hike down a hill but yea... pretty much on the beach still.. i go fishing EVERYDAY and i have run into a issue...

i PERSONALLY do not consider myself skilled enough to attempt such a small task on my own so i am looking for someone that might be up to help... shoot, i will even pay for your time... for starters, i dont owns any of my own gear, just a wet suit i use for surfing / body boarding and a set of body boarding fins... here is what i wanna do...

there is a nice size rock that i fish off of and i only have a casting area of about 3'x4' that i need to make it in and that casting point is about 9-12' away.... im tired of geting caught up in the kelp and what ever else might be down there...

I WANNA DIVE / SNORKEL down and clear about a 20x20' area of kelp for fishing. but this is not something i wanna do with anyone that has no clue with what they are doing (like my roommates!)

please let me know if anyone might be up to the task... i will buy my own gear if i need too... sheesh... i have been looking for a reason to buy some gear anyways

in any case, i need a little help...
there should be no more then about 5-8 kelp stalks that need to be cut. feel free to comment or PM... thx guys!

below are a few pix of some of the catches from the past few days.
Old 09/19/2007, 05:29 PM
Moved On

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Old 09/19/2007, 05:44 PM
Moved On

kk going to Puals Bait for more Ghost shrimp.... then down to the water, be back when the sun goes down!
Old 09/19/2007, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

Ummm, dude it's not really cool to think you can rearrange the ocean flora to suit your fishing style.

That would be like me going to Lake Castaic with a chain saw and removing some trees so I don't get hung up ;(
Old 09/19/2007, 05:50 PM
Moved On

ohh... i guess the kelp wont grow back 1"+ a day right?
if im wrong then scratch the idea... either way im going fishing latah!
Old 09/19/2007, 05:57 PM
Mullet Hunter

Go ahead and clear the kelp if you want but try some catch and release on those Calicos.

Ludwig van Beethoven
Old 09/19/2007, 06:01 PM
Registered Member

one of the wierdest posts I have ever seen...

Just why do you want to cut down the forest where the fish live?

Not to mention the lobster that come out at night.

Also some years the kelp dies off naturally... so leave it alone..

Is that a cabezon or a ling? size limit on lings are 22 inches..

Try some kelp free rigs so you dont snag it if that is a problem, or learn to cast
Old 09/19/2007, 06:09 PM
Premium Supreme Member

Do you eat those fish?
Old 09/19/2007, 06:49 PM
Registered Member

I'm guessing if you move the kelp you move the fish with it.
Old 09/19/2007, 06:55 PM
Moved On

cancel the request...

good point raskal311... never thought of that... umm... yea i eat all the fish i ctch... except the white croaker... frank thats cabi. he will be cooked tonight...

anyone know a good kelp free rig for bottom fishing... im using a 2oz torpedo w/ a 2 1/2 ltr. fishing ghost shrimp hooks.

snslarison those calicos are DINNER bud C&R is for those that dont eat the fish. i make meals not trophies
Old 09/19/2007, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

can i sleep over your place for a day of fishing
Old 09/19/2007, 08:21 PM
Registered Member

Check the fish and game book, your only suppose to eat one fish every two weeks from our local waters. They are full of mercury and other chemicals. If you look at the link below, Whites piont and the 2 below it is the area your fishing. From your pics you have a White croaker, a barred surfperch and the cabezon is considered a sculpin. And if you catch any halibut from there put some salt on the fillet, I heard worms will come out of it.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/fishcon1.asp

Last edited by rxdi; 09/19/2007 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09/19/2007, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

I wouldn't eat ANYTHING caught off the Penninsula. The DDT levels in the area are still waaaay too high for comfort. A lot of that area is designated as a "no takie/no touchy" area as much for our health as for the health of the fish populations.

http://www.healthebay.org/enlargepho...althy_redzones

http://www.healthebay.org/enlargepho...tionguidelines

Chris
Old 09/19/2007, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phishx
snslarison those calicos are DINNER bud C&R is for those that dont eat the fish. i make meals not trophies
I think he was refering to the DF&G regulation that says you are not allowed to keep calico bass under 12".
Old 09/19/2007, 09:13 PM
Moved On

tonite... few small bass... nothing really worth keeping... 2 lepoard sharks one about 2' and the other almost 3' and a few butters.

about the calicos in the pic...
yea one of the bass was under 12" he was 10" to be exact. the other was 13.5 i think.

thx for the links everyone...
rxdi i dont eat the white croaker... those r nasty suckers... i didnt know that my cuzin bagd it up.

ezcompany ur welcome to stay over as soon as we get the painting all finished up... the living room is a mess right now. but i pretty much go every morning and every evening... talk about stress release.

most of the stuff i catch i throw back cause i dont feel like hiking it up the hill. Lobster season is coming up and the guys at the bait store were saying im in a very key point for plenty of large lobster.
Old 09/19/2007, 09:18 PM
Reef Joker

Catch and release spearfishin' is the way to go Brah!
Old 09/19/2007, 09:30 PM
Moved On

shoots... i wish.. i need a partner... i have never free lung cali waters only back home... im not too sure about these coasts... feel like taking a swim? let me know, i will buy some gear asap!
Old 09/19/2007, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

Must be dang nice ot live so close to a fishing spot like that.
Old 09/19/2007, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

Catch and release spearfishin? Will a fish live after getting speared?
Old 09/19/2007, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

hey phishx, I am usually around the 22nd st landing area. how far away are you from 22nd st landing? Maybe u can show me the area. The reason i ask is cuz i wait for my bro to return from work (fishing boat) and i need to kill some time, so can i go fishing with u one of these days?
Old 09/19/2007, 11:08 PM
Registered Member

due to my back injury, and after 6 surgeries, morphine pump implant, spinal stim impant. i have a 26ft searay cuddy cabin sitting in my drive way, that i am looking to selll if anyone's interested... so no mo 3x4 rocks to fish off...
Old 09/19/2007, 11:19 PM
The Fish Tank Mogul

hey i was just fishing off the PV area a few weeks ago. red zone huh....greaaat.
Old 09/19/2007, 11:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by raskal311
Catch and release spearfishin? Will a fish live after getting speared?
No, usually not. Better be sure what you're spearing and the size limit, I usually gauge by the length of the fish against my spear gun.
Old 09/20/2007, 03:22 PM
Moved On

hey trigger05...
take Gaffey all the way up the hill by the Korean Bell... passing 22nd - 23rd - 24th and so on...follow the same street DOWN the hill... go straight past the 2 stop signs and it will take u to a Park.. my drive way shares the same parking spaces with the park... that park boarders the ocean... i hike down that NO TRESPASSING hill and go fishin daily

hit me up bro, we can set up a date to go fishin... if you have ur own rigs i wouldn't fish anything less then 20-25 lbs test... my Daiwa rod was just snapped in 2 about 4 days ago, prolly a large Leopard Shark. but yea.... good fishing EVERY DAY down there... no skunk yet!
Old 09/20/2007, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

I don't think it's legal to do this - you can be severly fined...