Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Vendor Experiences
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/18/2007, 07:40 PM
Premium Member

Don't use Fedex!

Remember when Fedex was the shipper to use if you really wanted something to get where you sent it? I guess those days have passed us by. Keep in mind that I never hold a screwup against a company...they happen to everyone. Its how you fix it that counts double in my book.

I ordered $200 worth of frags from someone who was taking down their system. They shipped the box Fedex Priority Overnight, and tracking said they were delivered at around 10am. So, I went home...nothing there. I called, and they tried to persuade me that they really were on my porch, just hidden, but of course that wasn't true. It became clear that they had delivered the package to the wrong address. OK....it was no signature required because I couldn't stay home from work all morning, so I guess I paid for that decision. Still..their customer service people got on the phone and then called the driver....oh, drat, the driver's on break. Then a bit later, they were going to have the driver come back and find it to redeliver. Three hours later I get a call: "Did you find it?" ***? "Oh, the driver went home. We have another driver, but he's not close. What a mess!" Yeah, indeed! "I guess you'll have to file a claim and have the shipper send it out again." Yeah right, THEY'RE GONE. I then proceeded to try to call and get someone in authority to get the driver in gear to find my stuff but all I got was "We can't ask the driver to come back once they go home" and after that "We'll call you back." I'm sure that's the last I hear from them, unless they show up with a box of dead corals tomorrow.

Anyway, there's my rant on the subject. Like I said, I'm not surprised they screwed up something, it can happen to anyone. The fact that they clearly just didn't care...that was a surprise.

Thanks for reading...

jds
Old 09/18/2007, 09:46 PM
Premium Member

At least they do better than the airlines. Last month I sent a box back to my office via FedEx before going to the airport to fly home. The next day I was in line waiting to be told it would be four more days before they could get me on a plane home when the packange arrived at my office.
Old 09/18/2007, 11:05 PM
Premium Member

Did the airplane at least take you to the right airport?
Old 09/19/2007, 07:45 AM
Premium Member

Sadly they are still 100x better than UPS.
Old 09/19/2007, 09:55 AM
Registered Member

bureau13, that is a real bummer. What is the update? Did they find the package and did you get your frags?

Seems like some of you guys have had bad experience with UPS or Fedex. Thankfully I haven't had that kind of experience. I try and get mine delivered by 10:30 am and make sure I am hope to make sure.
Old 09/19/2007, 09:57 AM
Registered Member

With WAY too many livestock orders under my belt over the years, I count my blessings that I can have stuff delivered here at work. The only time I've ever had problems with Fedex is with home delivery.
Old 09/19/2007, 10:04 AM
Premium Member

The last I heard from them was last night, when the said they would call me back in 15 minutes. Naturally, that did not happen. I guess now I'm just going to make an insurance claim, which I fullly expect them to try to wiggle out of.

jds

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10797974#post10797974 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mikekman
bureau13, that is a real bummer. What is the update? Did they find the package and did you get your frags?

Seems like some of you guys have had bad experience with UPS or Fedex. Thankfully I haven't had that kind of experience. I try and get mine delivered by 10:30 am and make sure I am hope to make sure.
Old 09/19/2007, 04:00 PM
Premium Member

Bureau13 said, "Did the airplane at least take you to the right airport?"

I actually had to become quite obnoxious to get this airline to allow me to fly on a competitor who could put me on a plane that day. It was interesting to take off on my plane on time while the original airline had the exact same problems with their flights again.
Old 09/19/2007, 04:36 PM
Registered Member

FEd Ex may not be perfect, but when you compare them with DHL, they are a SHINING STAR!!!
Old 09/19/2007, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

I agree with dischirm, have had good luck with fedex, dhl on the other hand....... not so good. Usps has screwed me quite a few times as well
Old 09/19/2007, 09:52 PM
Premium Member

I got some bulbs from Reefgeek via UPS. There were literally bootprints on the sticker that said 'Fragile --- Glass' on the side of the box. Even the UPS guy who came out for the claim (all 5 bulbs were broken) shook his head at that one.
Old 09/20/2007, 06:35 AM
Garbologist

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10800568#post10800568 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dischirm
FEd Ex may not be perfect, but when you compare them with DHL, they are a SHINING STAR!!!
They area shining star compared to anyone else.

The Tribal Wisdom of the Dakota Indians, passed on from generation to generation, says that:

"When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount."
Old 09/20/2007, 11:52 AM
Geek

Yeah usually with UPS you shouldn't put "fragile" on them simply because I hear they will go right for it to smash it up

When something like this happens I always take a little cruise around my neighborhood if there's a chance the package was lost closeby and am not afraid to snoop at any boxes on my neighbors doorsteps
Old 09/21/2007, 08:33 AM
Premium Member

I did the neighborhood drive-around, but no luck, unfortunately.

As I mentioned in the original post, I didn't post this because they lost my package. Mistakes happen to everyone (although I will say that with the prevalence of GPS navigation tools there is really no excuse for hitting the wrong house) but what really steamed me and what prompted the rant was the way they just blew me off. For everyone who wants to trash UPS, at least where I live my UPS guy would never have acted like this.

jds
Old 09/21/2007, 11:48 AM
Premium Member

I have had bad luck shipping with everyone but in my honest opinion FedEx is the worst of the bunch unless it is shipped from WI.

I live in an area were we can get USPS overnight and they have actually been the best.
Old 09/21/2007, 12:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10813428#post10813428 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Chads29
I have had bad luck shipping with everyone but in my honest opinion FedEx is the worst of the bunch unless it is shipped from WI.

I live in an area were we can get USPS overnight and they have actually been the best.
Fedex doesn't have as extensive a distribition network is some parts as Fedex does. We have the same experience with Fedex as Chads29 in my part of Pa. The nearest Fedex depot is an hour and a half away, and they never have the same driver. UPS is about 30 minutes away, and they usually have the same driver on the route, so they even know addresses by P.O. box #'s on the shipping address. But I would still never trust livestock to UPS. Fedex to a business address, weekday delivery is the most reliable in my experience.
Old 09/21/2007, 12:13 PM
Registered Member

Boy, am I tired!

That should read "Fedex doesn't have as extensive a distribution network in some parts, as UPS does".
Old 09/21/2007, 01:15 PM
Reef Tank Addict

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10797329#post10797329 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MJAnderson
Sadly they are still 100x better than UPS.
I agree.

I try not to use UPS by all means.

They are horrible !!

I've had good luck with fed-ex the 2 times I had to file a claim...

UPS on the other hand... (BLAH)
Old 09/21/2007, 01:57 PM
Registered Member

guys, the risk is the same for all shipping companies...there really isn't a better one than another. i've tried fedex, usps, ups, dhl, international ems, its all the same. human beings are delivering the packages to our doors, and with humans, come human errors. nothing we can do.

though fedex recently LITERALLY dropped my friends lumenarc from their truck while driving, hows that for losing a package lol
Old 09/21/2007, 03:46 PM
Premium Member

my experience with FedEx for the most part is well below par I had a package stuck in Chicago and I offered to drive down to Chicago and pick it up on my own dime and they wouldn't find the package for me at the airport to make this happen. They do not put the customer first and I do everything I can to have my packages shipped with other carriers.

The suppliers who offer customers the choice in carriers will be the one that gets the majority of my business as I do 95% or more of my coral and drygoods shopping online.
Old 09/21/2007, 04:11 PM
SpEd Man

Here UPS is hundreds of times better than Fed-Ex. Sorry to hear about your frags.
Old 09/21/2007, 06:43 PM
Moved On

I've had the same problem with both UPS and USPS. Sorry about your situation, it doesn't feel good.
Old 09/23/2007, 05:52 PM
Premium Member

No, it doesn't! I just wish they would at least pretend to care. I'm in the midst of the claim situation now, so we'll see what happens. I am not optimistic, but we'll see...

jds
Old 09/24/2007, 10:05 AM
Registered Member

silly people :D

what i dont understand is why noone uses usps. theyve been around the longest. the cheapest insurance. deliver in all weather. daily schedule in which you can almost ALWAYS expect your mail around the same time. why doesnt anyone overnight with usps. theyre the best shippers for me, IMO.

sorry if someone has mentioned this already. didnt read the entire thread
Old 09/24/2007, 02:40 PM
Premium Member

ok I have a new complaint to add for you. Lets say they Did Deliver it to the wrong place
Why wouldn't the person who got the wrong delivery take the time to call fedex, or look up the number of the individual on the package. I have received peoples stuff in the past, and I took it over to them. Just a nice thing to do.