Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/16/2007, 06:11 PM
Registered Member

older niger triggers

has anyone had long term success keeping a niger trigger in a reef tank?
Old 09/16/2007, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

hehehe... nigers are a toss-up. Alot of people say they are reef safe, but i don't buy it. It depends mostly on the individual, but even then, if you go on vacation or forget to feed it, you can come back w/ no corals etc. He will definitely eat up inverts, i tried a fairly small one w/ a huge cleaner, he attacked it before the cleaner even hit the bottom of the tank... ouch
Old 09/16/2007, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

edit: sry my trigger is "medium" he was about 3-4 in. long, a very pretty one, pity i had to sell him to lfs (i got ripped off, $10 i sold him for)
Old 09/17/2007, 08:34 AM
Premium Member

A lot of people have had success with small ones in the short term (myself included). However mine must have irritated someone dangerous, because one day he had what appeared to be a stab wound in his side, and two days later he was gone. Anyway back on topic...he was a model citizen, but never grew past about 2". I haven't heard many people (I think I've heard one, actually) say that their 6+" niger is in a reef and not causing trouble. I'm sure it CAN happen, but I'm not sure how likely it is.

jds
Old 09/17/2007, 09:18 AM
Registered Member

yea thats what i am hearing. i may have to enjoy him in the short term and then switch to a safer trigger
Old 09/17/2007, 09:20 AM
Keeper of Tangs

50/50, its how much you want to take a chance on. If you really want a trigger in a reef get a sargassum,crosshatch or blue throat
Old 09/17/2007, 12:05 PM
Registered Member

I had one the size of a thumbnail that would attack snails twice his size. Other than that he caused no harm.
Old 09/17/2007, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

I haved mine for a lil while in my reef with no problems.
Old 09/17/2007, 11:03 PM
Registered Member

Kinda. I had one for the past six months in my reef. He never bothered any inverts, but was mean to the other fishes. I took him back last week because he would let any other fish eat it got so bad.