Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/13/2007, 02:34 AM
Registered Member

Bright Colored Florida Ricordia

At what price would you jump at Bright colored florida Ricodia?
Old 09/13/2007, 05:54 AM
living the obsession

Time to go to bed.....

I usually price shop a little on line at high and low end places then determine where I think this one fits in terms of unusual. If it's healthy, they have had it awhile (so it has rested) and I really like it I'll pay a little more. Sometimes it's just great to have something you really like...

Nice looking fish you're looking at also. Sounds like a nice boost for the tanks when you get home. Will it be difficult getting everything home safely?

The challenge is the fun.
Old 09/13/2007, 07:25 AM
My Life for Aiur!

I'll jump on R. florida when they are free. Maybe a dollar. Seriously, I'm willing to pay up to about $20 unless it is a really unique one like the Pink R. florida I have. I'm willing to pay up to $50 for R. yuma. Prefereably less for more common colors. But, I'll make exceptions for something like an all-hot-pink R. yuma.
Old 09/13/2007, 08:31 AM
Registered Member

Sorry to highjack the thread, but what are the main differences between florida and yuma, that make the yuma worth more? Or is that just your personal preference?
Old 09/13/2007, 08:50 AM
My Life for Aiur!

For the technical aspect of the difference in the species, look here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1176925 ***Note: The main identifier in telling the species apart is the vesicles/mouth. Ricordea can change vesicle shape drastically, and have an amazing range of color variants. Once you start to get used to it, you'll see some common characteristics of one that aren't often seen in others.

As far as the price range goes, it's a lot of supply and demand with a few other details. R. florida are collected in the Caribbean, so it's a short trip to any LFS. R. yuma are collected out of the Indo-Pacific regions and have to make that long flight to reach us. That's cost right there. In addition to that, the color variations of R. yuma outnumber those of R. florida, thus making them in more demand for something different. And lastly, the survival rate of R. yuma is drastically low in comparisson to R. florida. So, R. florida survive in people tanks, propogate, and keep the market full while R. yuma are in high demand and die often leaving many aquarists wanting more. With all that said, the price meets the need.
Old 09/13/2007, 10:06 AM
Registered Member

very cool, thanks!
Old 09/17/2007, 12:00 PM
Registered Member

HEY TRAVIS I GOT A YUMA ILL SELL YA FOR 50 BUCKS...HEHEHEmaybe dustin will show a fewpics for me, i miss my tanks so much...it will be back up soon..
Old 09/17/2007, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

Got any pics? I'd probably jump on it if its less than $20
Old 09/17/2007, 06:47 PM
living the obsession

HEY TRAVIS I GOT A YUMA ILL SELL YA FOR 50 BUCKS...HEHEHEmaybe dustin will show ........

$50

Old 09/19/2007, 02:08 AM
Registered Member

which Dustin are we talking about?! *LOL* I have a bunch of rics!!!!.... and just to update you, the main ric of Yuma that i thought I ruined re attached itself to another rock and the left over slime created another spawn!!!! I have rics EVERYWHERE!!! I am still pondering how to setup the frag tank! :-)
Old 09/19/2007, 02:30 AM
living the obsession

Dustin,

Dustin Combs is one of the people houseing some of Scotts critters while he re works his tanks.

I see in my crystal ball you will make many new friends in the very near future......

Old 09/19/2007, 02:38 AM
Registered Member

ahhh I C ... hehe DOH ... N E Ways, I will be giving away some frags as soon as they grow in the new frag tank I will be setting up in my babys room! :-)
Old 09/19/2007, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

DT- Lets see some pictures. Please put me in line on the baby rics.