Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/12/2007, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

Good greif...

We are supposed to be one of the little boards that RC does not need to worry about. We are supposed to be a quiet little club board talking about each others tanks and trading some frags. If we get crazy, we can sell some old hardware and maybe do a group buy or Group DIY build.

Lets see if we can go a couple days without the Mods having to talk about us on their super secret board in the back room. It scare me when we see 4 or 5 people posting here that have over 12000 posts each. do we want that kind of attention????

Sigh...Time to post like adults.

Who has a tank they want to talk about?

I Brake for FRAGS!
Tampa Bay Reef Club
Old 09/12/2007, 09:00 PM
Patient Reefer

On the other side of that, I'm glad that some of the moderators explained their positions so clearly. RC is the result of the American Free Enterprise System. It's a great product, and they have every right to protect it.
Old 09/12/2007, 09:04 PM
On The M0VE

Well, I cant seem to find out whats the issue with my system. I had 3 SPS corals crap out on me for no reason. My softies are doing great and I have great zoa growth. I just dont understand it. My temp is hitting a high 86. Thats the only problem I can think of. Does anyone else have a high temp in their tank and have great sucess??

Last edited by Don Lino; 09/12/2007 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09/12/2007, 09:05 PM
Premium Member

Yep, agreed.... I like to stay kinda silent and reclusive, an occassional post here and there. Just sucks to see some of the counter-productive activity taking place. There are alot of great people who have done great things in this community. This forum has been inspring to me in the hobby, and although I have only met a few of you guys out there, each and every person I have met has been really cool people.........
Old 09/12/2007, 09:07 PM
Patient Reefer

Joey, what do you mean by "crap out". What exactly is happening to your SPS? Do you have pics we could check out?
Old 09/12/2007, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

86 and sps just do not get along too well....just ask reefs all around the world :-(

I Brake for FRAGS!
Tampa Bay Reef Club
Old 09/12/2007, 09:15 PM
Patient Reefer

Do you have any fans blowing on the tank and sump???
Old 09/12/2007, 09:16 PM
On The M0VE

They turned white on me, I guess theyre ded. This is my first time keeping SPS so its kinda frustrating...
Old 09/12/2007, 09:17 PM
Frag it!

86 is a bit much... If nothing else, get some fans on that sucker!

a 10" fan blowing directly onto water does wonders.
Old 09/12/2007, 09:17 PM
On The M0VE

I have a 10" fan on the top and a 7" fan on my sump. Keep in mind the system is in the garage, so its just blowing hot air around.
Old 09/12/2007, 09:19 PM
Patient Reefer

Can you build a small fish room and use a small window A/C unit?
Old 09/12/2007, 09:22 PM
On The M0VE

Yea, but it wont be too small. Mt attic ladders are right next to the system, so I will have to make the room com out alot more so if I ever need to I can still get into the attic. This will kill alot of room in my garage.
Old 09/12/2007, 09:25 PM
Frag it!

ahh ok, yeah outside... well, like others have said in the past, time to save for a chiller!

Of course, in a month or two a chiller wont be needed.
Old 09/12/2007, 09:27 PM
Premium Member

Joey,
I have been a bit busy, but would love to stop over, and look things over, if that helps. At 86, maybe a bit unstable to keep sps. Alot of useful threads out there on the sps forum regarding temp. I have some frags, so when things in check, let me know and I can be the guinnea pig.....lol....
Old 09/12/2007, 09:28 PM
Patient Reefer

An attic ladder is easy to move. You can drywall the hole in the ceiling while you're drywalling the walls.

Last edited by mflamb; 09/12/2007 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09/12/2007, 09:28 PM
On The M0VE

Honest opinion, should I just quit SPS corals till I get a chiller?? Its hard for me to do because I just started getting into them and love these bad boys. May make it easier if some others put their input in, Thanks
Old 09/12/2007, 09:30 PM
Patient Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Lino
Honest opinion, should I just quit SPS corals till I get a chiller?? Its hard for me to do because I just started getting into them and love these bad boys. May make it easier if some others put their input in, Thanks
Until you have some form of temperature control. Do jump back into SPS in November when it's cooler, because this is Florida...the heat will return.
Old 09/12/2007, 09:37 PM
On The M0VE

Breaking my heart... But the truth usually hurts. Okay guys... Other than that my fish, RBTA, ZOAS, Frogspawn, Micros and yumas are doing awesome.
Old 09/12/2007, 09:39 PM
Anti "So called Expert"

86 is high but may not be the problem. What are your other parameters and how long has the tank been that high and was it a gradual temp. increase or overnight? Where did the corals come from?
Old 09/12/2007, 09:42 PM
Membership Director/TBRC

Joy,

My tank is very stable at 80-82 with only a 5000btu wall unit. My power bill somehow went down!!!! My guess is that all the heat of the tank is going outside and now we do not have to cool the whole house. Its a nice feeling putting the ac up to 80 before we go out. Could not do that before, we had to keep it at 76.

I would highly recommend a fish 'closet'. Mine is only 6' by 40" but I love it. Plus it forces me to watch my weight, can not get any bigger, will not have any room. LoL.
Old 09/12/2007, 09:55 PM
Registered Member

I've got a problem with my long tentacle xenia.. Earlier today it was fine.. Then I went to pick up my check.. When I got back my husband said the electricity was out because the electric company was doing something in the area.. I don't know how warm it got in the house because we sat outside until it came back on.. I don't think it was off for very long.. But now my xenia looks like it's wilted and some of the 'arms' have come off and fallen on the sand.. Should I try to attach those arms in hopes that they'll come back to life? Will the rest of it survive? Everything else in the tank is fine..
Old 09/12/2007, 09:57 PM
On The M0VE

trigger, the tank has been at that temp for awhile now, couple of months... Corals came from Nolans and other reefers.

Plc, BINGO... I may be able to do a little room if I loose a couple of inches on my handles...
Old 09/12/2007, 10:00 PM
Premium Member

I did something strange a few years ago to some overheating telephone equipment. We bought a portable A/C, think window a/c on wheels with a dryer hose to vent the heat. I stuck this under the phone and built a foam box around it. Home Depot sells packs of 3'x6'ish sheets cheap. It would be temporary but cost a lot less than framing a new wall. It kept this little closet nook under 70 degrees.
Old 09/12/2007, 10:05 PM
Frag it!

Don Lino, what do you use for temp controller?
Old 09/12/2007, 10:15 PM
On The M0VE

Umm... Fans??

Blucoast, are u saying to do that for my garage?? Or place it close to my system??