Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Northeast Florida Marine Aquarium Society (NFMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/10/2007, 05:37 PM
Registered Member

My 20gal project

Well thanks to Travis l I got the idea to do my first 10gal cheap tank with all of his designs, http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...&pagenumber=10 and this one http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1194983 well pretty much anyway. I'm starting out with my stand and hood first. I know most people start out with there tank but i'm not cause im a little better with wood, and I'm a little scared to cut glass . Here's a few pics of what I've done so far
this is the base when i first started

this is the top part that connects to the hood

this one is the fram almost done

I am making it to fit in a blank corner of my bed room well let me know if anyone have in imput on it
Old 09/10/2007, 06:08 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Very interesting. I'm going to follow this thread when I can for sure. Are you going to have enough elbow room to get in to the tank?
Old 09/10/2007, 06:38 PM
Registered Member

just enough to get a few small rocks in, i am thinking about redoing the whole top part, still tossing up ideas before i put the skin on.
Old 09/10/2007, 07:02 PM
Registered Member

You could make the part above the aquarium hinged.... so then where the lights are mounted you would have full access above the tank (although you might need a step ladder)

i am gonna follow this thread since its just beginning

good luck in your build and hopefully you can teach me some things about diy since i buy most of my stuff
Old 09/10/2007, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kawicivic
You could make the part above the aquarium hinged.... so then where the lights are mounted you would have full access above the tank (although you might need a step ladder)

good luck in your build and hopefully you can teach me some things about diy since i buy most of my stuff
I agree hinge the top even if it is only 3" or 4" it will make a huge difference with maintance and ect..... BTW I love the corner design.
Tagging along.......
Old 09/14/2007, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kawicivic

yeah I agreed to so I did , and it came out very good

today I did the skin and installed the shelves
I made the cut out for the hood and doors but haven't installed them yet wating on the molding and the hinges
still have to sand, stain, and seal, oh yeah, and I found a few flaws in my design put I'll adress them as I go on

and the pics

Old 09/15/2007, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

Awesome that hinge will make maintenance easy for you speaking from experience as you can see in my thread I redone my canopy to accommodate it. One more thing make sure to counter sink the hinges otherwise you will have light coming out the top.

Last edited by cdentii1; 09/15/2007 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09/22/2007, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

nothing really new to post as far as the build goes i installed the doors still have to put on the corner molding and do the finnishing just can't come up with a good color thinking of honey or red wood

Old 09/23/2007, 08:39 AM
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper

Nice looking set up, I like the corner idea.

One question though.....Why is Mr. Krabs Crying??
Old 09/23/2007, 02:56 PM
Premium Member

You should link up at North Florida marine site at NFMAS.org
Old 09/25/2007, 03:25 AM
Premium Member

So how is the build going? It is looking good so far. I like the corner idea. Are you putting a sump in the bottom. Looking fwd to following along with your progress. Bill
Old 10/03/2007, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

Great Idea with the corner.
Old 10/09/2007, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

Any updates or pics?
Old 10/09/2007, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

oh yeah i got an up date for you!!!!!!!
today right around the time you asked, while i was out, and my wife busy, my 1 year old took a full cup of whole milk and poured it into my 55gal tank. so imagine my supprise as my wife stops me at the front door before i walk into the house and tells me about it ( to get me ready before i walked in the door). SO i spent the rest of the day doing a 100% water change and putting all inhabtance into a 20gal tank. luckly i had it set up for about 2 or 3 weeks really basicly just to have the water start to go through its cycle i'll try tonight to post some pics of my over growded 20gal tank. i'm thinking of wating about a week or so and do another 10% water change wate another week after that before i put everthing back in........ man 2 crashes in 3 mounths everyone needs to pray for me!!!!!
dez
Old 10/27/2007, 07:46 AM
Registered Member

everything up and running again? hope it all worked out for you!!
Old 10/27/2007, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

Sorry to hear that Dez. Did everything make it?
Eddie
Old 10/31/2007, 06:36 AM
Registered Member

sorry about the updates well everything made it... my bta isn't looking well though hopefully it will come around .its all still in the 20gal for now do to a large move comming soon, its so hard to be in this hobby and be in the millitary at the same time so i think im just going to give up the millitary part hahahaha no really my time is up soon so i'm going to keep everything in the 20 untill i move, i think its way to over crowded but my wife doesn't want to give up anything she likes the fact that we've had a couple of the fish for over 3 years so the all going to stay