Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Greater Iowa Reef Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/04/2007, 10:20 PM
metalheadreefnerd

Anyone tried these yet?

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch...y_Code=Maxijet

They look pretty smooth.

www.greateriowareefsociety.org
Old 09/04/2007, 10:28 PM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
marine depot is coming out with something like that too...

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 09/04/2007, 10:29 PM
Premium Member

Hey, great post. And I was just getting ready to order parts. At $20 maybe not.
Old 09/04/2007, 10:29 PM
metalheadreefnerd

I just don't want to pay another $35 for the magnets...since when ddi magnets get so expensive anyway? Is it a precious metal now?

Old 09/04/2007, 10:40 PM
Premium Member

Really, I am thinking of buying cheap magnet algae cleaners and using silicone. I have an old set at I am going to try. I think wal mart night even carry a set for $5, I would have to check that again though.
Old 09/04/2007, 10:46 PM
Reef Addict

that's awesome!! I bet the impeller doesn't push AS much though.

I wish they would sell just the impeller/magnet assembly.
Old 09/05/2007, 12:14 AM
Registered Member

what exactly is this? A reply to everyone moding there product or what?
Old 09/06/2007, 01:22 PM
Reef Addict

it's a MJ mod that is already made up....so basically you don't have to make any cuts or glue it... you just have to provide the MJ
Old 09/07/2007, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

If those are the same one's that where at IMAC there garbage. The housing is way too restrictive.

I would venture to say that mj1200 mod was under the 1000GPH mark. Which the mjmods mod stomps. As well my mods

Add to that I am quite a big fan of the Koralia's....
Old 09/07/2007, 06:39 PM
Registered Member

According to Hung @ SOM, the Koralia's aren't available anymore due to a lawsuit.

Dunno if that is true or not.

-JB

Old 09/07/2007, 06:55 PM
metalheadreefnerd

I have a HK4 i gotta send in, it give ya the shocker when ya plug it in.

ZZZZZZAAPP! Yeeeow!

Old 09/07/2007, 09:04 PM
Reef Addict

I heard tunze was suing them...but it's probably just a rumor. That's too bad if it's true though.
Old 09/07/2007, 09:44 PM
Premium Member

Covey

HAve you moded your Korelia yet?

I just got one to try out....its not bad....but the flow does not travel as far.

ein
Old 09/07/2007, 09:56 PM
Premium Member

After modding maxi's, fixing my screw ups, buying modded maxi's, fixing there issues, then having them still not work right i decided it was easier and cheaper for me to just hit ebay and buy some tunzes
Old 09/07/2007, 10:06 PM
Premium Member

Here is DFS response about the Tunze-Koralia issue.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1193637
Old 09/07/2007, 10:29 PM
Premium Member

Just a bunch of hype, I can understand why people don't like paying a higher price for a tunze. BUT if you think about the two year warranty and the customer service that comes with the pump it's amazing....I've owned a crap load of different powerheads ranging in prices, to sit back and think about how many of them I chucked in the trash because they broke or threw current into the tank, with no warranty your out the money, with a warranty you at least have a chance of getting a new pump or replacement parts. I just don't have the time or effort to tinker with mods that "might" work. A good example is the mesh mod for the octopus skimmer.....how many people are buying new pumps for there skimmer because the pumps are burning up due to the mod. Buy what you can afford and make the rest work, it's how the hobby goes.
Old 09/07/2007, 11:17 PM
Gold Member

Amen Jason! You can get similar results with pumps other than Tunze. I know for almost all of us, cost is usually the most important factor when buying anything because this hobby is so expensive.

I've been through my fair share of pumps and now I just buy Tunze from the start. It costs a little bit more but the chances of me replacing it due to disappointing performance or failure is pretty slim.

I'm not trying to push anyone to buy any particular brand. Just buy whatever makes you happy but try to buy it once.
Old 09/08/2007, 10:39 AM
Reef Addict

I honestly think Maxi Jets are the best pumps out there. The Mod has a LOT of issues, but the pump itself will run for almost ever.

My Maxijets have been going strong since the beginning..that's like 4 years straight. Not bad for $15.
Old 09/09/2007, 08:26 AM
Registered Member

The best thing the maxi mod has going for it is the replacement parts are all available locally. The warranty of the Tunze doesn't do you a lot of good if you are waiting 3 weeks for parts to show up while your acro RTN from the lack of flow. No matter how bad the break down I can be to lowes and back and have the mods running again in a hour.

Also after being in the hobby for a few years I have come to the conclusion that nothing is "maintenance free" and nothing is bullet proof. And Tunze DO break check there forum, everything in a marine environment breaks down.

I haven't moded the Koralia yet and don't plan to now. It turns out that they run quite well on wavemakers. They click but always start and what I've found makes them even more useful to me.

Basically the mjmods have a very diffuse pattern and very even. Good for some things. Good at not tearing up coral and general water movement. The Koralias on the other hand seem to have that "double conical" shaped flow pattern. It is more erratic.

When you point two mjmod together you get very even flow with a consistent separating line. When you run two Koralias against each other get more random vortexes and other odd ball wave action.

So right now I am running with my aces in places. Letting the pump do what they do best. I've got the mjmods facing down, keeping the det up and rolling the tank over. Then I have the two Koralias pointed at each other making good random water movement for the acro.
Old 09/12/2007, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

I just got mine tonight , i got 3 maxi-mods from Glaspie69 last week, and this performs as good if not a little better than they do. Do you think that 7600 g.p.h. is enough for a 125 gallon? They are definately worth the 20.00 bucks!!!!!
Old 09/13/2007, 10:12 AM
Registered Member

Hello
I got one from PA and put it on a 400 mj works pretty good but not as much as a modded 1200!! The prop is set up like a Koralia and runs good on a wave maker. I used the mount that came with the MJ (had to mod to work) seems to hold. I would say the 400 is pushung at least 700gph? moves water in my 120. Also have a modded 1200HO and seems to change the flow nicely!
just my 2c
Dave