Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/29/2007, 12:14 PM
Registered Member

ok some advice from the experienced... moving

Ok our new house will be finished in about 3 weeks, I just need to paint the rooms then we can move everything in. I am planning on moving most everything last week of Sept. My question is what is the best way to go about this. I am going to stick with the 65 gal tank for now, until next year when I can upgrade. I have a 55 gal that I do not have any fish in just Live rock at this time. Should I take that place it in a bucket with water, drain the tank move that into the basement. Then start taking the stuff from the 65 gal tank and putting it into bucket and move to the 55 gal for now until I set up the 65 gal?

Looking for advise on this, and ideas and help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bob
Old 08/29/2007, 12:33 PM
Premium Member

If you can get 2 tanks running basically simultaneously, the move isn't too bad. I'd drain the 55, then move it to the new house. Set it back up with some old water and some of that extra live rock and a skimmer. Then remove the livestock from the 65, bag it, move it, and acclimate it to the 55. Move and set the 65 back up at the new house at your leisure, then move and acclimate the livestock again to there permanent temporary home. (until you do the upgrade)

If you need a HOB skimmer, or some other filters/heaters/tanks etc. I have plenty of stuff could lend you. Let me know if you need any help.
Old 08/29/2007, 12:43 PM
Registered Member

how far are you moving Bob? i'd suggest that the easiest method may be to setup your livestock in the 55g and put the LR from the 65 into buckets or rubbermaid bins. Consider whether you'll keep the display sand, or wash/bleach it as it is going to be FULL of detritus. Then, tear down the 65 with rock in buckets and move the 65g over to the new house and set it up (shouldn't take too too long). Then bring over the LR from the buckets/bins to the new house and put them in the 65g. Go back to the old house, put the LR from the 55g into the buckets and try to catch the fish and put them in a bucket. Transfer the fish/corals back into the 65 and bring the 55 over to the new house. Go back and get all the LR and put it back in the 55 and you're done.

The whole process will take lots of time, probably the better part of a day even with help from friends/family. Lots of buckets, lots of water, and lots of towels will make life MUCH easier
Old 08/29/2007, 01:24 PM
Registered Member

When we moved from Maryland, we bagged the fish, and inverts, live rock was boxed, and I saved 10 gallons of water.
The tank went through a new cycle, and the fish lived in a 30 gallon rubbermaid in the bathroom for 3 weeks (with their old water).

When the movers picked up the 5 gallon buckets, they asked "What the F*&$ is in those buckets labeled aquarium water?"

I'm not sure that helps much, but, I always find the story amusing - and I tipped well.
Old 08/29/2007, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

moving from one part of OP to another part of OP. The 55 gal tank only have LR in it right now that I got from you Steve, the home made stuff. As the 55 gal is just a holder of the LR until I moved and got set back up again. The 55 gal will not be set back up as that will be a sump for the upgraded tank ( 150ish gal).
Old 08/29/2007, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

Rubbermaid totes work wonders when moving a tank.
Old 08/29/2007, 07:54 PM
Registered Member

The thing I came up short on in my move was water. I moved everything all at once and came up short on seasoned sw. I have two tanks and needed separate holding tanks for each tanks inhabitants more than doubling my need for sw. If you have time, I like the idea of transferring the corals to the smaller tank, setting the bigger tank at the new house with as little or much new water as your comfortable with, your live rock, the sandbed is an issue new/old? Then moving when you feel the setup is ready. I feel this might be the least intense moving option, as it could be spread out over time.
Old 09/03/2007, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

Ok should I keep the sand I have or get new? It is about a 1 1/2 years old. When you look under the tank the bottom of the sand looks like crap. I am sure it is going to smell really nice, if I reuse what is the best way to clean it?
Old 09/03/2007, 10:42 PM
Evil Conservative

I would go ahead and change out the sandbed. Its always good to refresh it. You might lose some of your critter poulation though. Is your sand teeming with life??

Response from Bean Animal
"Username or Bullseye?"

Click the Red House for my Website
Old 09/04/2007, 10:12 AM
Registered Member

Maybe keep a little old sand to seen the new?
Bob, I will be in town the weekend of the 29th. Let me know I you need a hand with anything.

I also have a 40 and 55 gal tank laying around, few hob filters, and a cheapo skimmer. A few Rubbermaid containers, and a garbage can if you need to borrow anything.