Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/28/2007, 05:02 PM
Registered Member

Sexy clowns.

In a pair of Percula Clowns. Will one change sex if necessary to female? If so can the opposite happen if they are both female?

Are there very good chances of a pair of Clowns to mate...eventually?

Eric.
Old 08/28/2007, 05:06 PM
Registered Member

In the higherarchy of sexes in the clownfish species, it is true that one will eventually become dominant and change to female, but it is not possible to go the reverse direction. They are usually asexual when born eventually becoming male and then female as necessary.
Old 08/28/2007, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

Yes. I read about it... Amazing creatures. I was wondering if the reverse is posisible. Is getting two females of the species from a LFS very unlikely...as they are mostly males?

I am thinking of adding a pair in my 29 gal as my only fish in the near future but I am worried about breeding. I hope they dont breed like freshwater livebearers once they get into mating mode.

Eric.
Old 08/28/2007, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

I dont know how livebearers breed, but clownfish will lay eggs every 20 some odd days. I wouldn t worry about it to much though considering some consider it free fish and coral food when they hatch.
Old 08/28/2007, 05:29 PM
Registered Member

What would be a nice Anemone to host my future children... *cough *cough* I mean... the Percula clowns.

Eric.
Old 08/28/2007, 06:51 PM
Premium Member

A rose bubbletip
Old 08/29/2007, 07:47 AM
Registered Member

thanks... A Rose Bubbble tip will look right for my tank.
Eric.
Old 08/29/2007, 07:49 AM
Registered Member

BTW, I have 2X65W PC's. Will this be enough light to keep a Rose Bubble tip happy?

Eric.
Old 08/29/2007, 08:02 AM
Registered Member

A rose bubble tip is not a natural host for percula (or ocellaris) clowns so you'll be taking a chance that they may not take up residence in it at all.

The PCs *might* be enough light since they are only over 30"? (or is it 24") of tank in a 29.

Also, for the sex of the clowns, when kept in a community of lets say.. 10 fish at the LFS, most all of them will be sexually immature depending on size. The clowns can go from immature to female, or immature to male, then to female, but never female to male.