Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/20/2007, 04:50 PM
Registered Member

Who has clams under PC's?

Derasa, Giga, and Squamosa tridacnas: kept successfully under PCs (I know halides/T5s do better overall).
I was wondering who here has kept clams, any kind, under PC lighting and how they did, any success stories or horror stories or whatever and hey, post a pic if ya got one! Thanks!
Old 08/20/2007, 05:04 PM
Registered Member

i had a deresa and a crocea clam under PC for about a year, they did very well, just make sure they are high up on the rocks. mines was about 6" from the lights. good luck
Old 08/20/2007, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

i have a maxima i believe in my 10 gallon under 96 watt pc. the rockwork goes about half way up the tank and the clam is on the top of the highest rock to make sure he gets light and he opens up very nicely he is gold and brown. about 2 inches. ill try to get a pic but my camera sucks.
Old 08/21/2007, 05:46 AM
Registered Member

I have my crocea and maxima clams in my 46 bow with pc lighting for over 2 years now and have never had any issues
Old 08/23/2007, 07:45 AM
Registered Member

Where in your tank are these...Up near the lights or down in the sand bed?

Quote:
Originally posted by reeferboi6888
I have my crocea and maxima clams in my 46 bow with pc lighting for over 2 years now and have never had any issues
Old 08/23/2007, 10:31 AM
Registered Member

I have a crocea and a dereasa under 110W pc in a 20L. Have had them for 8 months now. The crocea is high on the rocks and the deresa is in the sand bed
Old 08/23/2007, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

I have a huge 6" crocea in my 50gallon under some PC's. I have a 3-4" teardrop clam, and was considering a maxima, but people are such downers. It would be cool if anyone could post there maximas under PC's.
Old 08/23/2007, 07:39 PM
Premium Member

clams

I have had clams under both PCs and MH, all kinds - including the crocea, maxima, and squamosa. I actually keep a lot of things in my tank that are not supposed to be there, or are not supposed to thrive. I find it a shame that many reefers come down on people for wanting to attempt to keep something that may or may not be under the best of, or "ideal" situations -- is anything short of the ocean actually "ideal"? I am not saying that one should blatently disregard prudent discussion or advise, but in my short career and experience, as long as you know the basics, do your homework, and ask around -- even with the best set up money can buy, you are not assured success -- just a better chance of obtaining it. My experience has taught me that with decent equipment -- that time invested, not money invested is a better function of whether or not you will be successful.

My suggestion would be that if you feel comfortable with attempting to place an animal in your care once you have done your questioning, and you can afford to do so, then do so. We have all seen stuff grow and thrive in less than optimal conditions, or conditions that were not "supposed" to produce results -- as well as just the opposite. I have grown my clams, and many sps btw, under PC lighting for at least a year before I decieded to upgrade to a MH set up. My largest clam, a 6+" maxima, was under my PCs for about 6 months before the switch. Now I will be the first to tell you that it is happier than it was under the PCs, but it still grew and was beautiful (check my gallery=). -- under the PC lighting, it sat on the substrate of my 65g - it now resides a little further up on some rocks. My 5" squamosa still sits on the bottom as does one of the other 4" croceas with my little crocea (1.5"), attached to a rock on the bottom third of the tank. The only clams that moved with the new set up were the maxima and the large crocea as they kind of switched places. I hope this helps you somewhat because at the end of the day, we all do this because we enjoy the environments we create and want to healthfully sustain the animals we place in our care -- reality is, you won't know until you try, but my experience has been sucessful with keeping clams under PCs.
Old 08/23/2007, 08:13 PM
Registered Member

my clams are on the sand bed