Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/15/2007, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

Talking My 1st fishy been waiting 2 months!!!! need id while im at it!

here he is the newest addition to my 1st reef tank! been waiting 2 months for this day! what goby is this? algae goby? also underneath his mouth on the LR i have a bunch of those white circles on my LR looks like something is hatching from them dunno what tho.

Last edited by rbtwo4; 08/15/2007 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08/15/2007, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

holy crap didnt know the pic was gonna come out that big! oops
Old 08/15/2007, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

thats not a lawnmower blenny its more like a sand sifting goby
Old 08/15/2007, 09:36 PM
Registered Member

not a lawnmower def a sandsifting goby
Old 08/15/2007, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

Yep not a lawnmower blenny here is mine
Old 08/15/2007, 09:49 PM
Registered Member

stupid guys in LFS dont know what theyre selling. oh well love my goby then hehehe he does have a certain attitude everytime he sees me come to the tank with my camera especially he decides to come and pose for me. pretty funny. i was trying to take a pic of one of my frags and who swooped in to crash the pic? mr. goby
Old 08/15/2007, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yoboyjdizz ur right i saw that one in the same tank! and i told the dum dum that i wanted a lawnmower blenny
Old 08/15/2007, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

oh shoot now that i have a pic of him up if u notice below his mouth on the rock those white circles are all over on my LR does anyone know what in the hell they are? looks like something might be hatching from them.
Old 08/15/2007, 09:54 PM
Frugal Reefer

Lesson learned. Always know what you are buying and how to care for it before you leave the store. You cannot count on relying on the LFS employees. Sometimes you get a expert, sometimes you get a high school student trying to earn a buck. It doesn't hurt to bring a good book or two for ID'ing purposes.

Hit the little red house above for the ARC website! You know you want to!
Old 08/15/2007, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Entropy
Lesson learned. Always know what you are buying and how to care for it before you leave the store. You cannot count on relying on the LFS employees. Sometimes you get a expert, sometimes you get a high school student trying to earn a buck. It doesn't hurt to bring a good book or two for ID'ing purposes.
ur absolutley right this is why im called a "newbie" one day im sure i will repeat the same words u just spoke to another newbie reefer. i wonder can i add a lawnmower blenny with that goby then?
Old 08/15/2007, 10:07 PM
Frugal Reefer

I would say you would be ok, but the lawn mowers can get pretty big and you will be using up a lot of your available fish load (how much you can keep) with two fish that have similar coloring. Lawn mowers have great personality but I think you have a lot of other available fish that might go better. The goby is a sand sifter so it will sit on the sand bed most of the time. A lawn mover is an algae eater so it will be all over the place. I do not think they will bother each other.

Hit the little red house above for the ARC website! You know you want to!
Old 08/15/2007, 10:07 PM
Registered Member

the lawnmower blenny should be fine in the tank also.

the dots look like small limpet snails. good cleaners
Old 08/15/2007, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

from melevs site
Keyhole Limpets move about the reef, substrate and even glass. Their body is protected by a cone-like shell that has a small hole at the apex or top. When extended, some display a delicate lace-like fringe or skirt. I have had a few of these over the years, and usually they are about .75" to 1.5" in size. Many babies about 1/8" appear in the sump, refugium and plumbing
Old 08/15/2007, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kau_cinta_ku
from melevs site
Keyhole Limpets move about the reef, substrate and even glass. Their body is protected by a cone-like shell that has a small hole at the apex or top. When extended, some display a delicate lace-like fringe or skirt. I have had a few of these over the years, and usually they are about .75" to 1.5" in size. Many babies about 1/8" appear in the sump, refugium and plumbing
i was just about to say that cus some of them look like theyve already hatched as some of the shell is blowing on the rock like something already came out and im assuming my filter is sucking them in. i have a lot of pods in my tank too they all hang out on the glass. one day i thought it was bubbles from far and as i got closer and looked i ran to melevs and found out they were indeed pods and are beneficial to the tank.
Old 08/15/2007, 10:15 PM
Registered Member

perhaps it would pay to do some research on the fish BEFORE you buy it rather than but it then find out that it may be either impossible to keep , grow too big for you tank or inhospitable to other tank mates. just my 2 cents.
Old 08/15/2007, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

i asked for a lawnmower COUGAR and didnt get one as i did do research i knew the fish was compatible and reef safe. thanks for your 2 cents either way i got a great fish
Old 08/15/2007, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

Tangaroa Goby is my guess. If you add a lawnmower blenny, you may see some aggression the first day. Both those fish have similar body shapes. When I added my LMB my diamond goby had problems cause he kept getting attacked. He learned quickly to stay in his burrow for a couple hours. The next day they had no problems.

I have just started seeing those same round discs in my tank. I thought they were some kind of chitron. Now I'm leaning towards keyhole limpet as well.
Old 08/16/2007, 12:19 AM
Yeahhhh BOYYYYYEEEEE!!!!

The round white discs are snail egg sacs. They will disappear after awhile.

Chris
Old 08/16/2007, 06:05 AM
Registered Member

Hi
rbtwo4, you have listed your water parameters as 'Nitrite 3.0
Nitrate 40', if this is the case with the nitrite your fish wont last long. Could you re-check them, nitrite should be 0 and nitrate ideally around 10 or less.

Barry
Old 08/16/2007, 06:52 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bmk
Hi
Nitrate 40', if this is the case with the nitrite your fish wont last long. Could you re-check them, nitrite should be 0 and nitrate ideally around 10 or less.

Barry
gotta change that barry. That is not true that's what it was when I 1st started my cycle when I started coming to the RC forum. Everything is at 0 except for trates. Can't get that down to 0 its around 5 now. Soooooooo disregard what those #'s say.
Old 08/16/2007, 07:20 AM
Registered Member

Hi rbtwo4
Ok, just wanted to make sure. If your nitrates are 5 then I would not worry as that is very low, you are not likely to get them to 0 anyway, mine are at 5 (they peak at 10 sometimes).

Nice fish by the way :-).

Barry
Old 08/16/2007, 07:39 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Barry. Yeah my nitrates peak at 10 too I don't think its possible to get it at 0.
Old 08/16/2007, 08:16 AM
"Old Yeller"

Quote:
Originally posted by bmk
Hi

Barry
I do not believe this to be true

actually if this is a fish only tank, nitrites and nitrates can get way off the scale without much trouble. I have seen a pretty good number of tanks with nitrates well into the 300's and the fish are fine. Coral is what has a problem with these levels. (and looks like you have invested a few bucks in corals)

Also, LMB are voracious algae eaters and if you purchase one it will starve unless it is eating prepared foods. You need to have a good supply of hair algae to support them if they are not eating the prepared foods.

Also mixing blenny's in a 30G tank is probably not going to go over very well... I would think this over for a bit, I think the negatives outweigh the positives here. If it was by itself in your tank, I think it could work but still sort of "iffy" (an awful lot of these fish starve in captivity)

Last edited by Randall_James; 08/16/2007 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08/16/2007, 09:06 AM
Registered Member

Yeah no blennys for me. The algae in my tank is very scarce so I have no need for a lawnmower. Goby is good enough for me. I think I have a very good cleanup crew cus I haven't had BIG problems after 2 months thank god. Water is all stable cus I do about a 30% water change religiously. Corals are all thriving too so I hope it continues this way.
Old 08/16/2007, 09:43 AM
Member of SEA-T

those little disk are a foram called Marginopora, AKA Money Foram. harmless.

the fish is a Istigobius spp. AKA Speckled Goby