Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/15/2007, 06:22 PM
Registered Member

Do these fish match up?

I have a flame hawkfish and I want to add a pygmy hawkfish. Will they be ok together?

If not is there any other fish you could recommend for a 20 gallon tank?
Old 08/15/2007, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

Lots of gobies, basslets, clownfish, damsels (if you are looking at an aggressive tank), a few wrasse, and hawkfish are definite 20 gallon possibilities.

I suggest not mixing a pygmy with a flame hawkfish. Most hawks where I come from cost about $50+. I just bought my longnose hawk for $70.00, but he was in a tank with cleaner shrimp, so that's why.

You are probably looking at about a 3 fish limit if you are looking for a reef tank, even 2 if you want to keep a low bio load.

Look around in your LFS, and ask about a fish that you like, do your research, and if it is okay, put it into QT.

Oh I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once
Old 08/15/2007, 11:00 PM
Registered Member

In my 20g I have a flame hawk along with a black perc. I tried adding a shrimp goby that was larger than the hawk (hawk is 2") and the hawk didn't like it (in retrospect I should've never chanced it in a 20.) I wouldn't add anything that hangs out in the lower water column with a hawk in a small tank unless it's real tough, like a pseudo.
Old 08/16/2007, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

Try a royal gramma. They are great nano-reef fish, and won't bother the hawk, and the hawk won't bother it.

Hawks are pretty lazy, as I have found out from experience, so a faster fish would work too.

Oh I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once