Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/02/2007, 06:51 PM
Registered Member

im hooked, but i need more flow. pls help

howdy all,
i have a 60g tank. its 36x20x20. 35g sump and a 30g refugium. constant running 36w uv sterilizer. phosbon reactor. and a octopus 200 nw skimmer. tank is lite by a tek lite 6 lamp t-5. currently im using a mag 12 to feed the refuge and return to tank. i have 2 x koralia 2's. and thats it for flow. i really wasnt planning on doing a sps dominated tank. a buddy of mine gave me a couple frags. 1 acro, teal with blue tips. superman monti. and another encrusting monti that is green with purple polyps. dont remember what he called it. and im friggin hooked. ordering in my aqua controller. co2 unit and calcium reactor. now i need to up the flow. i really like the ease of koralia's. so if you were to up the flow with koralia's what would you do? another set of 3's and use the 2's in the front corners? or would you go to 4's? please let me know.
-Jason
Old 08/02/2007, 07:08 PM
clownfish fan

2x koralia 4
Old 08/02/2007, 07:29 PM
ummmmmm yeah

I would loook at 3 of three's. You will get better random flow that way.
Old 08/02/2007, 07:31 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by TIMMYE
I would loook at 3 of three's. You will get better random flow that way.
5 koralias in a tank will be allot of pumps....

i would add 3 tunze 6025 and do the mods to make them 1200 gph
Old 08/02/2007, 09:07 PM
Registered Member

heres a question. if a acro grows infront of the koralia 4 within say a couple of inches. wouldnt that be way to much? on average how far should the corals be from the flow?
Old 08/03/2007, 07:00 AM
Registered Member

do you mean if the coral grows on its own infront of a powerhead, or is placed in fron tof a powerhead. i think is a coral grows on its own and happens to grow into the front of a powerhead then it should be cool cause it wouldnt grow in that direction is it was stressed by the powerhead. but it think it would be problematic if it is placed in front of a powerhead and is expected to grow, might be a lil much for it.
Old 08/03/2007, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

I have a 40 breeder which is also 36" long. I tried a Koralia 3 in it at one time and it seemed like too much flow directly in front of the powerhead. I now have two K 2's and two Seio 620's (which are about equivalent to K 2's). Along with my return this gives me about a 72x turnover rate which seems to move the whole tank volume pretty well without blasting any one spot. If the corals in my tank start to grow into larger colonies, I may have to find a way to swap in some K 3's or add yet more K 2's. With your slightly larger tank I would probably try to find a way to add two K 3's such that they aren't too close to any corals, maybe in opposite corners or pointing towards a tank wall.
Old 08/03/2007, 10:09 AM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
or 2 mj mods

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 08/03/2007, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

2x MJ1200 or 2x Tunze nano 6045 (much better, but cost 4x more)
Old 08/03/2007, 11:41 AM
ummmmmm yeah

I would look at three of 3's and get rid of the 2 # 2's that you have. I guess I should have staed that before.