Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/24/2007, 12:32 PM
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...2#post10404012
Old 07/24/2007, 12:32 PM
Registered Member

Exclamation Lost my intake Pluming Part. Plz help

Hello everyone,
this thread has inspired me to get a Recerc 200 and I love it so far. I have a major problem though. I was at Lows getting pluming parts and I had and my son (4 years old) was “helping me” by putting parts he liked in and taking my parts out of the cart. Now I cannot find any of the pluming parts that go to the top “intake” part of my skimmer. It looked like the end of a union fitting with a slip then a slip barb fitting. I looked around to find another one but I can’t find one that fits. Is this piece an irregular size or something? I thing I read that some or all of the parts are metric..? Can someone tell me what size and where I can get one please? I live in Alaska about 60 miles from Anchorage so just driving around to all the hardware stores is not really an option for me. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help
Old 07/24/2007, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

Re: Lost my intake Pluming Part. Plz help

Quote:
Originally posted by ak_tech
Hello everyone,
this thread has inspired me to get a Recerc 200 and I love it so far. I have a major problem though. I was at Lows getting pluming parts and I had and my son (4 years old) was “helping me” by putting parts he liked in and taking my parts out of the cart. Now I cannot find any of the pluming parts that go to the top “intake” part of my skimmer. It looked like the end of a union fitting with a slip then a slip barb fitting. I looked around to find another one but I can’t find one that fits. Is this piece an irregular size or something? I thing I read that some or all of the parts are metric..? Can someone tell me what size and where I can get one please? I live in Alaska about 60 miles from Anchorage so just driving around to all the hardware stores is not really an option for me. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help
I would check with coralvue.com and talk with David to see if he can send you the parts. Also, check with aquacave.com. They had the bag of parts that includes all of the plumbing and the venturi in stock for the nw-200 not the dnw-200 last time I talked with them. But, they do stock them and it's just timing.

Coralvue tends to be tough to get parts from. You can PM me for my specific experiences with them.
Old 07/24/2007, 06:17 PM
Registered Member

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I will call those places and see what they can do.
Old 07/24/2007, 08:10 PM
Broke Reefer

So my euroreef broke in many pieces today.
So based on the reviews I was thinking of buying a octopus skimmer for my 180g acro tank.. Which skimmer does everyone recommend? Who has the best deal on them?
Thanks
Old 07/24/2007, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by teog
So my euroreef broke in many pieces today.
So based on the reviews I was thinking of buying a octopus skimmer for my 180g acro tank.. Which skimmer does everyone recommend? Who has the best deal on them?
Thanks
how can a euroreef break into many pieces?

anyway, get the recirc model, really great skimmers!!! i got mine plumbed directly to the overflow. HTH!
Old 07/24/2007, 09:31 PM
Broke Reefer

I had an older CS model for many years and it was always difficult to remove the collection cup to clean. Well about 3yrs ago I broke and repaired the body trying to remove it.

Well today I was trying to remove it again and the skimmer slipped from my arms and cracked in the same spot plus alot more. Its now beyond repair so time for a new skimmer
Old 07/24/2007, 09:34 PM
Broke Reefer

Sorry double post
Old 07/24/2007, 10:50 PM
Registered Member

what would you recommend for a 90 sps reef tank?
Old 07/25/2007, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Sorry double post
I would suggest at least the ddnw-250. It's just as tall as the 200 (30") but it's 10" wide instead of 8, and it's got 2 otp-3000's, and after mods you should be around 1700 LPH of air. Also, check into Orca and BubbleMaster skimmers to compare pricing and features/benefits for your situation.
Old 07/25/2007, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

what that comment for me on my 90 gal?? would love to get some input on what skimmer to get for it.
Old 07/25/2007, 08:39 PM
Reefer

I actually think the DDNW-250 is way too much skimmer for a 90... While SPS systems do need pristine conditions, they also do require some frre-floating particals as a food source.

Some studies have actually shown that a gently stirred sandbed can be greatly beneficial to an SPS system, because of the influx of suspended particals. Using a skimmer that's rated for 4x the tank volume would quickly strip the desired nutrients. On the otherhand, you should NEVER have a problem with any of the undesired stuff!

I've seriously considered adding the DDNW-250 to my extremely overstocked 125g LPS/SPS system, but after seeing what the FDNW-400 has done to my 400g frag system, I keep re-thinking if I should or not...

It's extremely important to understand that the Octopus Recirc skimmers are vastly under-rated, and are therefore far more powerful than you might imagine!

When adding #400+ pounds of sand to my 400g high-flow Aquaculture system, it was crystal clear within a matter of hours... Not days, but hours!

-Tim
Old 07/25/2007, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

awesome thanks alot. i may get the mid sized unit, recir of course. but i wanted to buy one skimmer not have to upgrade later. i was considering a ER but they sure stick it to ya price wise.
Old 07/26/2007, 01:24 PM
Premium Member

Octopus NW 150 Q?

Hey guys quick question that I can't seem to find the answer for... I've had my Octopus nw150 for over a year now, and have done a few cleanings here and there.. When I first bought the skimmer it produced alka-seltzer type bubbles which poped and produced alot of wet skimmate.. eventually it settled down and I could adjust from a dry foam to wet ... whater I wanted. After a year now, it now will only produce the alka-seltzer type bubbles again. I'm trying to figure out if its something to do with the skimmer or if my water parameters could be causing this? Does your SG affect it? Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 07/27/2007, 01:20 AM
Registered Member

hey guy got a question. im in the process of setting up my tech 120 and i was wondering if i should use the dnw-200 or go with the ddnw-250. do you think going with the 250 would be overkill? i plan on a sps dominate tank with a few fish.
Old 07/27/2007, 08:18 AM
Premium Member

If the fish load is low I'd think the 200 would be fine, I am using the original nw-200 on my 180g SPS tank and there's nothing suggesting it's under rated for the current load... So yeah a recirculating 200 should work well in my opinion for a 120g.
Old 07/27/2007, 09:30 PM
I LIVE IN A PINEAPPLE....

I use a dnw-200 on my 120 and have 15 fish and it keeps up just fine. I have modded the venturi and added the mesh mod.I think it would work fine stock also.
GEO 6x18 Calcium Reactor
GEO Kalk Reactor
Aquactinics 2x250 12k Reeflux w/ 216 watts Blue+ T5's
210 lbs. Gulf-Keys-Fiji LR
50 lbs. LS
Old 07/31/2007, 11:05 AM
Broke Reefer

What is the difference between Pacific coast octopus and octopus skimmers?
Old 07/31/2007, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

arggg! While i was working on my skimmer, The piece connecting to the output of the pump to the skimmer body broke! I saw the links up there and i'm gonna try them. Its just so frustrating. SO far the skimmer has been great though.
Old 08/01/2007, 08:29 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
What is the difference between Pacific coast octopus and octopus skimmers?
The sticker on the side of the skimmer. They are manufactured in the same facility, then shipped to different importers. If it has a Pacific Coast sticker, it is coming through the west coast, if it has an SWC sticker (which are commonly referred to as Octopus) they are coming out of Canada.
Old 08/01/2007, 11:19 AM
Premium Member

The SWC Octopus models have had some of the plumbing changed to make it bigger, to allow for more air/water flow.
Old 08/01/2007, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

Do you know which models have had changes done to them. I have a recirc 200 and some of the mods that people recommend don't seem to apply. What are the plumbing changes that you know of?

thanks
Old 08/01/2007, 01:00 PM
Premium Member

On the recirc 200 the air intake is moved closer to the pump, easier union fitting, larger inside diameter pipe from skimmer to body.
Old 08/06/2007, 06:12 PM
Broke Reefer

Anyone have a ddnw-150? Im thinking about getting this model for my 180g. I only have a 30in stand so the 200's are out.
Old 08/06/2007, 10:29 PM
Registered Member

Does anyone else have a recirc 200? I've done most of the mods but still seems like I have to keep the water level pretty high. The remains just above the transition or right around the union for the collection cup. Where do you keep your level?