Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/18/2007, 09:58 PM
On "The List"

double/multiple exposures with DSLR?

newbie to DSLR, but fairly old hand at SLR.
I have in the past done a few cool things with multiple exposures on 35mm film, can such a thing be done with these new fangled gadgets?

I have a canon XT (350?)

didn't see an answer in the manual, maybe I missed it

thanks!

Bart

HEY! I lost it first ~CRP

There is no "Brain" in "Brian." ~Beerguy
Old 07/18/2007, 10:40 PM
Premium Member

Not in the camera... photoshop or other image editing software can do mimic those effects.
Old 07/19/2007, 05:16 AM
Registered Member

in photoshop it is quite simple using layers and just playing with the opacity of the layers.
Old 07/19/2007, 05:48 AM
Registered Member

Yep, in photoshop would be your best bet. It even gives way more flexibility for your DE since you can control the positioning of the layers and change the transparency too.

If you are not familiar with layers in PS, no worries. Just open both photos in PS, go to one of the photos (the one on the bottom) and do select all (Ctrl + A) -> copy -> go to the 2nd image -> paste.
Old 07/19/2007, 08:07 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

As far as I know none of the Canon cameras have the option for multiple exposures, Nikon I believe on at least one of their higher end DSLRs has the option on camera but I've never read much on it .

Like has been already posted - most people use some type of photo-editing program to just combine the images. If you know how to work with layers in PS it usually isn't too difficult depending on what you're trying to do.

Although, I would like to see the option for doing on camera - I've seen some very cool things done in 35mm with multiple exposures!

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 07/20/2007, 12:02 AM
Registered Member

Whats the overall outcome of the photo? Is it a kind of HDR photo? If so, just shoot in RAW and combine a couple different exposure in photoshop or the freeware photostitch.
Old 07/21/2007, 09:05 AM
On "The List"

thanks for the answers!
one more reason to get off my wallet & buy photoshop....

I don't have a specific outcome in mind, just wanted to explore my options

HEY! I lost it first ~CRP

There is no "Brain" in "Brian." ~Beerguy