Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/17/2007, 12:29 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Increasing salinity.

I think I'm buying a refractometre today... ...dumb swing-arm is confusing me...

My SG has been sitting at 1.021-01.022 for over 3 weeks...I've been topping off with left over SW...which should increase the salinity...

Sunday I got impatient and slowly added salt (dissolved first in water)...finally the swing-arm said 1.026 which was my goal.

Yesterday I was back down to 1.022! Same thing this morning. I don't know how I can keep adding salt and not have the SG increase!

I have a headache and my math skills have deserted me . How much salt per gallon do I need to add to increase the salintity .001?
Old 07/17/2007, 12:34 PM
Team RC Member

You're doing the right thing by adding sw for top off to raise it. when you fill the hydrometer (swing arm) do you notice any bubbles hanging on the swing arm portion? bubbles can raise this up giving a false reading. But I agree, that sounds a little wierd, you absolutley sure it was SW you were topping off with? I've made the mistake of grabbing the wrong bucket before myself.

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!
Old 07/17/2007, 12:35 PM
Set it up

It may be in your best interest to just wait until you get your refractrometer. The swing arms are not very accurate. You may be just chasing your tail. Your SG should not be going down. Salt does not leave the tank unless you see alot of salt creep some where.

If you need to use your swing arm make sure you rinse it out real good. Add the salt water and let it sit for a few minutes. Then flick the side with your finger to get the bubbles off the swing arm. That is about as accurate as you can get with one. If your trying to adjust for .oo1 your will not be able to check it accuratly unless you have a refractrometer. HTH
Old 07/17/2007, 12:54 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Yes...I think I need to get one today...I'd like to add my CUC, but won't unless I've got the salinity right...

I was planning on waiting until it was my birthday next month...so the kids could buy it for me...but maybe they can buy me a coral instead...
Old 07/17/2007, 01:02 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rue
Yes...I think I need to get one today...I'd like to add my CUC, but won't unless I've got the salinity right...

I was planning on waiting until it was my birthday next month...so the kids could buy it for me...but maybe they can buy me a coral instead...
I would get it first ----get all your water parameters right before adding anything.
With adding salt like you have I would be more worried about over salination then hyposalinity
Old 07/17/2007, 01:07 PM
Gene Pool Lifeguard

Are you manually topping off, or do you have an ATO? If your swing arm is accurate, you have a lot of salt creep or a leak somewhere. It would be transparent to you if you have an ATO, as the leaked water would be replaced with RO/DI water. If so, check for leaks. Beyond that though, I would wait until you got a refractometer and calibrated it. Good luck!

"A Closed Mouth Gathers No Foot" - Unknown

Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 07/17/2007, 09:39 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Thanks guys...no ATO...no saltcreep (that I've found at any rate)...

...but I just came home with a refractometre...so I'm off to do serious business!!!

Hey, what's another $80 if it gives me peace of mind?
Old 07/17/2007, 09:45 PM
RC Mod

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/rhf/index.php

That article might be useful. Not all refractometers calibrate properly with RO-DI or distilled water.
Old 07/17/2007, 10:01 PM
reef obsessed

Use the calibration method in the link above ^^^. It's just RO/DI and table salt. Don't calibrate with DI water, not an accurate method.
Old 07/17/2007, 11:21 PM
Professional Obfuscator

I had my reef expert calibrate it for me at the store...just so I wasn't second guessing my own competance at it...lol...

But I'll read through all the info. you guys supplied for when I have to do it myself...thanks so much!

First reading was 1.024...added a bit more salt...waited an hour for the water to circulate...and it was 1.0255...

Close enough!

Tomorrow! Clean up crew!!! Woo-hoo!

Er...AFTER traffic court...my 17 year old son is having a little bad luck...it started with this last October (his fault)...

...and now continues on with stuff that isn't his fault...
Old 07/17/2007, 11:34 PM
Registered Member

Just be careful. The closer to "natural" salinity, the closer you need to monitor evaporation.
Old 07/18/2007, 08:06 AM
Premium Member

Personally, I would never add salt directly to the tank or sump. I would top up the evaporation for the next two weeks with an .026 saline/ro water mixture and check each 24 hrs after. If that doesn't work use a .030 premix solution and do the same thing.
Old 07/18/2007, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

Strange.....you all taking about salt levels dropping! Can someone please explain why mine rise??? Tank is 1.0255 set the top off water in seperate bucket the same and come 2 days later it has risen!!!! That is checked with both a swing arm and a refractometer! Driving me bloody mad, and the corals imo.
Steve
Old 07/18/2007, 03:47 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Thanks guys! I did dissolve the salt in water before I added it...

Why over two weeks? That seems a bit long...no?
Old 07/18/2007, 03:50 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Hi Steve;

It makes more sense for the salt levels to rise...evaporation I figure...
Old 07/20/2007, 08:18 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Shino74
Strange.....you all taking about salt levels dropping! Can someone please explain why mine rise??? Tank is 1.0255 set the top off water in seperate bucket the same and come 2 days later it has risen!!!! That is checked with both a swing arm and a refractometer! Driving me bloody mad, and the corals imo.
Steve
the top off water should be r/0 water---no salinity
The water is evaporating from your tank--the salt is staying behind so when you add more salt water you are increasing the salinity level in your tank
Old 07/20/2007, 08:54 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Capn you have finally put me out of my misery!!!
R/O only it is then.
I guess you just use salt water mix when doing water change?

Steve
Old 07/20/2007, 09:14 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Shino74
Thanks Capn you have finally put me out of my misery!!!
R/O only it is then.
I guess you just use salt water mix when doing water change?

Steve
yep!
Old 07/20/2007, 11:54 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by XSiVE
yep!
salinity is probably the most stable factor in water chemistry but you should still really watch it.
---and like any other factor you want it to decrease or increase very slowly if off
--so monitor it routinely over the next 3 or 4 top offs

if you want to decrease it more then the top offs are allowing then do a water change.