Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/16/2007, 07:04 PM
Premium Member

Anyone who has used GE Silicone look here!

I am in the process of putting together a new sump. I went to Lowes tonight I got GE Silicone I Window and Door Clear, the package that does not say "Bioseal" and doesn't say "Not for aquarium use".

Did I get the right stuff that is safe or should I just not risk it and return these and spend the extra for the stuff that is made for aquariums?
Old 07/16/2007, 07:10 PM
Registered Member

As long as it is 100% Silicon, I think it is fine.
Old 07/16/2007, 07:13 PM
Registered Member

I have used GE silicone I on three separate tanks, some years old. It has always worked like a charm! The GE silicone II (with a gold seal I believe) is what you have to watch out for! Make sure you bought painter's tape for those professional streamlined edges! You'll also want a vase of water and a roll of paper towels handy. Tape the parameter of the glass edges first...all the way around. Then apply your silicone; I prefer top to bottom, then the base. Dip your finger in the water, (some like to add a small amount of dish soap to the water, though I do not find this necessary). Now smooth the silicone over the tape using your wet finger. Wait about 7-8 minutes and rip the tape away. Be sure to keep waiting until this time the next day before filling the tank, and Viola! A picture worthy job to be proud of.
Our Father, who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy Name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, In the ocean as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily surf. And forgive us our stolen waves, As we forgive those who pull out in front of us. And lead us not into white water, But deliver us from the tube. For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever and ever. Amen.
Old 07/16/2007, 07:49 PM
Reef Addict

I've also heard to use acetone on the glass to get it perfectly clean.
Old 07/16/2007, 08:10 PM
Reefer

thats the right stuff
Old 07/16/2007, 08:47 PM
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally posted by hypertech
As long as it is 100% Silicon, I think it is fine.
Wrong. A lot of them say 100% silicone which looks fine, but if you read the info on the back, most include moldicides and antifungals. Not good!

GE Silicone I Window and Door is the only kind that works now.

Silicone II added Bioseal which is BAD. "Kitchen and Bath" versions of both I and II are BAD.
Old 07/16/2007, 09:24 PM
Premium Member

The Home Depot I went to had the GE Silicon I for Windows & Doors in White that was clearly marked "Bioseal" and said not to use on aquariums! It was only that clear Silicone I at Lowes that didn't say "Bioseal".
Old 07/16/2007, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

I bought the same stuff today. To make it easy on others reading this thread. You use GE Silicone 1 Clear.
Old 07/17/2007, 08:00 AM
compulsive fragomaniac

GE Silicone 1 clear

got it. I always go through that same song and dance too when I buy silicone every few years or so.
Old 07/17/2007, 08:39 AM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by Frick-n-Frags
GE Silicone 1 clear

got it. I always go through that same song and dance too when I buy silicone every few years or so.
GE Silicone 1 Clear for WINDOWS AND DOORS.