Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/13/2007, 03:52 PM
Premium Member

Two harlequin shrimp of same sex in same tank?

I'm sure the answer will be no, but I've only had mated pairs so I'm not sure.

Can you keep two males or two females in the same tank? I'm talking about a small tank, not a 125 where they'd never see each other. Please don't comment on tank size either. I've kept them in small tanks with no problems. I'm wondering if two males or two females will fight and kill each other. I ordered a pair on wednesday to find out they died before being shipped. Or fedex screwed up and didn't pick up the package. Either way I'm in the market for two, and don't want to wait another six months for a pair if I don't have to. Thanks.

Last edited by hobbzz; 07/13/2007 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07/13/2007, 11:01 PM
Premium Member

Anyone?
Old 07/14/2007, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

Yes, the same sex will fight
Old 07/14/2007, 04:51 PM
Premium Member

That's what I thought. That sucks. I never see pairs for sale more than a few times a year, and it's usually only after they've sold. Some kid at my lfs said "I think you'll be fine".
Old 07/17/2007, 01:50 AM
Registered Member

Yea, I see a few paired up as well in the SF area. Although, I have seen more than a few lately. You can always buy them separately. The female is bigger, but if you purchase them when they're little, you can't tell. So look for the abdomen. It should be wider. here's a link with some info: http://www.sihawaii.com/sydkraul/harly.html
Old 07/17/2007, 09:52 AM
Premium Member

Thanks but the lfs's in town never have any. I know how to sex them according to the plates, but whenever I see them online they're never sexed. It always just says "harlequin shrimp". Which sucks because there are 3-4 websites selling singles right now. I guess I could talk to an lfs in town and see if they could get a male and a female that haven't been paired up already.

Is there any chance they would fight if they weren't already paired up and were thrown in the same small tank together at the same time?
Old 07/17/2007, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

Ahh, ic. Yea, with online, you never know.

As for putting 2 that weren't paired up to begin with, it won't be a problem. My current pair was introduced separately. Male first, then I found a female like a few months later. Almost instantly, they were together. And full of eggs every since, but don't have the time or spare tank to rear the babies.
Old 07/17/2007, 04:24 PM
Premium Member

Is that normal or did you just get lucky with them pairing?
Old 07/18/2007, 01:53 AM
Registered Member

I think that's normal, but I could be wrong