Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/12/2007, 02:45 PM
Premium Member

OT: Military

I've always had this burning desire to serve in the Military, and lately its gotten to the point where it's all I think about. And I'm 25 now, and I wish I would have gone after high school. But for me, it's kind of now or never! My girl and I split up after 3 years about two months ago, so I'm single, no kids, ect. However, I do have ALOT of liabilities. And I have a good job that pays well. So I'm really giving up alot. But this is something that I feel like I need to do for myself, cause if I don't I'll regret it forever. I feel like I should be doing my part, and serving my Country.

I've been talking to recruiters, and I think with my given situation, the Army Reserves will work best for me. So I'm going to take the ASVAB on Saturday, then I want to hold off taking the physical for a month or so. I have alot of stuff to get rid of before going.

Anyone else on here go through the same thing? Any advice or comments on it. I really want to do this, but there's just alot invovled.
Old 07/12/2007, 02:53 PM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
DONT DO IT... you just broke up with your girl so your mind is not right... take some time and find yourself...

this is not the best time to join the military...

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 07/12/2007, 02:59 PM
Fantasy Coral

Major props to you for even considering serving your country. I joined the army straight out of high school, but that was in a different time. Unless we repair our foreign relations, we are going to be involved in conflicts for quite a while. If you do join, be prepare to be in a foreign country, fighting for someone else's freedom. I'm not trying to be political, just being realistic.........

Good luck either way you go..........
Old 07/12/2007, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bebo77
DONT DO IT... you just broke up with your girl so your mind is not right... take some time and find yourself...

this is not the best time to join the military...
but that is the only way he can serve the contry lol.

I am in Naval Reserve about four years. Even though I don't fully serve the country but at least you can act something.

For your situation, you can go for reserve time to see how you like it and you still keep your good job and reef tank. IMO.

Good luck.
Old 07/12/2007, 03:03 PM
Fantasy Coral

A good portion of the Army Reserve is in Iraq right now................I don't want to see his reef tank after a 14 month deployment......
Old 07/12/2007, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveOhh
A good portion of the Army Reserve is in Iraq right now................I don't want to see his reef tank after a 14 month deployment......
hahah, join with Navy Reserve to accelerate your career hahhahah
Old 07/12/2007, 03:05 PM
Registered Member

I actually joined straight out of HS back in 97' and just recently got out of the service this January.

There were definitely times where all I've had were regrets, but it's clear now that I just needed to mature.

Not to give you the wrong impression, but the military is not filled with all patriots. Different people with different goals and reasons for joining. With that said, you'll run across many you'll find inspiring, and even more that'll give you a very negative outlook on what you've committed yourself to.

Check out the military forums to get an honest opinion of the field you're about to enter. Nothing against recruiters, but they have a tendancy to tell you what you want to hear.

The military has evolved so much just during the last decade. It's more thought of as a career move now, with training schools converting into college credits, college credits giving you an edge in promotions, etc.

Pay scales are the highest they've ever been. I remember years ago when service members were feeding their families with food stamps. Now you see them in bmw's and Mercedes.

(hard earned pay no doubt. But just to get my point across)

I was a submariner btw. I have buddies in all the branches, so I can share their opinions, but I'm sorry I can't give you the inside track.

I'll tell you one thing though. Join now if you want to play in the sand. It's almost guranteed.
Old 07/12/2007, 03:06 PM
Registered Member

Take some time to think about it. Talk w/ family/friends and do what you want to do. I'd assume your family will discourage you b/c they dont want you to get hurt but the decision is ultimately up to you. While theres lots of dangers, theres also lots of benefits.
Old 07/12/2007, 03:06 PM

yeah if you join, join the coast gaurd or navy.. atleast they keep their feet off land..

Old 07/12/2007, 03:09 PM
Certified Booty Hunter

[violation]

Last edited by Anemone; 07/12/2007 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07/12/2007, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bebo77
yeah if you join, join the coast gaurd or navy.. atleast they keep their feet off land..
being out at sea for a year is no walk in the park. You'd think you're going crazy working 18hr days, 6 down 12 up, looking at the same crazy people day in, day out.....
Old 07/12/2007, 03:12 PM
Registered Member

I think i'd go crazy being stranded on a boat being so cramped even for 1 week.
Old 07/12/2007, 03:13 PM

lol.. true.. but its safer...

Old 07/12/2007, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

I guess torpedos and depth charges Are slower than bullets...and mines don't really move....

I'd rather be able to see daylight...
Old 07/12/2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by aznlmpulse
I guess torpedos and depth charges Are slower than bullets...and mines don't really move....

I'd rather be able to see daylight...
when was the last time a US navy ship was hit?... besides being in port?

Old 07/12/2007, 03:30 PM
Registered Member

But weren't you with your gf at the last CFC sale?

Nevertheless, Don't make any life altering decisions on a confused state of mind. Do things because you wanted to not because you have to.
Old 07/12/2007, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

I hear ya. It's been a while, but that's like asking...when the last mobile army base was bombed.

It doesn't happen often because of the political ramnifications of it, but we sure do cross over into "free-for-all" territory quite often....if you know what I mean. I'm sure you'll hear about it in a few years when it all becomes common knowledge, but we've had a couple of really close calls here and there.
Old 07/12/2007, 03:56 PM
Registered Member

I was in the Army for 8 years and i was a grunt. All i saw was the field. NO FUN!! join the Navy instead IMO, youll see more and travel.. Besides, who wants to get stuck with a bunch of guys in the field!! Been there done that! i too wanted to serve this great country but you dont have to die for it, be smart and get a good M.O.S. dont take what they give you, choos what will benefit for you in the end. HUA!!!
Old 07/12/2007, 04:03 PM
I yam what I yam

Sorry Gabe, but the Navy aint as easy as you might think.

Oh and by the way, the Navy is constantly sending Sailors into Iraq to supliment the Army and Marine forces there. Plus we have some of our ship based weapons systems on the ground there as well.

Also, where do you think the Marines get their Medics from? Yep, good old Hospital Corspman from the Navy. ;D

If your really interested in joining the Military, take a good look at what each branch has to offer and can they get you into the carrer field that you want to be in. As stated, recuiters will tell you what you want to hear and answer only the questions you ask. Problem is, you don't know what are the right questions to ask.

The military has changed a lot since I first joined back in 1980. It's a lot more techinical and on the cutting edge. The stuff I work with now for the Navy is way more advanced than the stuff I had to work on while I was serving in the Navy. Most of that stuff was designed back in the 50's. Granted I'm now in the position where I test teh new stuff before the Sailors get it, but it's miles ahead of what we used to have and they get it sooner.

The reserves isn't bad. I have a neighbor who's gone thru just about all of the reserve forces to see which one he really liked. You don'y really loose any rank when you switch services. Take some time to stop by and talk to some of those who are serving now. As stated, you will get both the good and the bad. Some are there because they like it, others are there becaues they need a job or didn't want to go to jail.

Overall, I enjoyed my 21 years in. Got to see and do a lot of tings the majority of people will never see or do. And I got paid to see and do it.

glockcoma, you don't have to support the war, but at least support our troops. And if you really knew what was going on over there, not what you hear in the news, you might have a different out look on the situation.

Have you THANKED a Veteran lately for the freedoms you take for granted each day?
Old 07/12/2007, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by aznlmpulse
I hear ya. It's been a while, but that's like asking...when the last mobile army base was bombed.

It doesn't happen often because of the political ramnifications of it, but we sure do cross over into "free-for-all" territory quite often....if you know what I mean. I'm sure you'll hear about it in a few years when it all becomes common knowledge, but we've had a couple of really close calls here and there.
no doubt... i once wanted to be a top gun pilot.. thanks to tom cruise.. that is still my favorite movie.. and i have to admit... fighter pilots are living my dream....

Old 07/12/2007, 04:10 PM
Premium Member

Re: OT: Military

Quote:
Originally posted by Cagraffwriter
I've always had this burning desire to serve in the Military, and lately its gotten to the point where it's all I think about. And I'm 25 now, and I wish I would have gone after high school. But for me, it's kind of now or never! My girl and I split up after 3 years about two months ago, so I'm single, no kids, ect. However, I do have ALOT of liabilities. And I have a good job that pays well. So I'm really giving up alot. But this is something that I feel like I need to do for myself, cause if I don't I'll regret it forever. I feel like I should be doing my part, and serving my Country.

I've been talking to recruiters, and I think with my given situation, the Army Reserves will work best for me. So I'm going to take the ASVAB on Saturday, then I want to hold off taking the physical for a month or so. I have alot of stuff to get rid of before going.

Anyone else on here go through the same thing? Any advice or comments on it. I really want to do this, but there's just alot invovled.
Very good chance for you to deployed if you join the Army reserve....

I respect those who serve in the Navy sub.... Them guys don't get to see the sun too often

I have been serving in the Marine Corps since 1997 active duty. I have a few MOS (Military Occupation Specialty) under my belt. My only advice to you is pick your MOS wisely. There are hundred of jobs in the military. Don't do it cuz it cool ...... I start my military career as an Basic infantryman, two year later i join the STA platoon (Scout sniper). I went to Iraq in Jan 2003 as a point man. Not 1 sec in my military career i feel regrets.

Come-on guys, when you make any statement about military or war. Please think of those soldier, sailor, Marines and joint forces who has lost their life or wounded in combat. Don't make it sound like they lost their life for nothing....
Old 07/12/2007, 04:16 PM
Algae Grower

I considered joining out of high school, which was before 9-11. I had a buddy who joined the Ranger battalion and he was always sending me pictures and telling stories of fun stuff he was doing. I even went down, took the test, scored high and had recruiters breathing down my neck for a few weeks afterwards. I think it was how desperate they seemed and the thought of sacrificing 4 years+ of my life to the gov't. Looking back, I am glad I said no, even though I think of it constantly.

I have had friends and family come back from Iraq over the last few years with horror stories. One friend went in as a mechanic and for one reason or another had to do foot patrols in Baghdad. One of his best friends was shop in the head by a sniper right in front of him. A cousin of mine was in some sort of troop transport (forgot the exact name) which was hit by an RPG (or IED?) and lost his two best friends and suffered some injuries as well.

I understand that this happens in combat, and that is not what bothers me the most. What bothers me is what people say when they come back. How they struggle to find purpose in this particular "war" and if what they are doing is hurting more than helping. Its difficult to watch them try to re-assimilate, I can't imagine how hard it is to actually experience that.

And not to get political, but when there is so much evidence of a government that has not exactly been honest or trustworthy, do you really want to put your life in the hands of the people that are running the show right now? I'm not saying that there are ulterior motives for this war (oil, etc...), but even if there is a slight chance that is true, do you really want to be a part of something that is a big lie? Furthermore, do you want to be treated as just another number?

I think we've all heard about the strain on the military, I don't think any branch is safe from combat. Aren't most of the reserves over seas now? Its not a 1 weekend a month, two week a year gig anymore. Now its a "get shot at, **** duck for cover, man I miss my desk job" gig.

For the record, I have nothing but respect for people in the military. Its the people in charge that I question.
Old 07/12/2007, 04:20 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blown63chevy
Sorry Gabe, but the Navy aint as easy as you might think.

Oh and by the way, the Navy is constantly sending Sailors into Iraq to supliment the Army and Marine forces there. Plus we have some of our ship based weapons systems on the ground there as well.

Also, where do you think the Marines get their Medics from? Yep, good old Hospital Corspman from the Navy. ;D

If your really interested in joining the Military, take a good look at what each branch has to offer and can they get you into the carrer field that you want to be in. As stated, recuiters will tell you what you want to hear and answer only the questions you ask. Problem is, you don't know what are the right questions to ask.

The military has changed a lot since I first joined back in 1980. It's a lot more techinical and on the cutting edge. The stuff I work with now for the Navy is way more advanced than the stuff I had to work on while I was serving in the Navy. Most of that stuff was designed back in the 50's. Granted I'm now in the position where I test teh new stuff before the Sailors get it, but it's miles ahead of what we used to have and they get it sooner.

The reserves isn't bad. I have a neighbor who's gone thru just about all of the reserve forces to see which one he really liked. You don'y really loose any rank when you switch services. Take some time to stop by and talk to some of those who are serving now. As stated, you will get both the good and the bad. Some are there because they like it, others are there becaues they need a job or didn't want to go to jail.

Overall, I enjoyed my 21 years in. Got to see and do a lot of tings the majority of people will never see or do. And I got paid to see and do it.

glockcoma, you don't have to support the war, but at least support our troops. And if you really knew what was going on over there, not what you hear in the news, you might have a different out look on the situation.
Hey Chief, I have to correct you on this..... If you switching from Army, Navy or Air force to the Marine Corps, You will loose rank and required to go to boot camp all other again. Another thing, we are the Hitman for the Navy...
Old 07/12/2007, 04:26 PM
Rubberman

Quote:
Originally posted by blown63chevy
you don't have to support the war, but at least support our troops. And if you really knew what was going on over there, not what you hear in the news, you might have a different out look on the situation.

The atrocities committed in the area leave me with very mixed feelings overall but the support of all those involved never wanes.

I can't honestly say I know better.

SteveU
Old 07/12/2007, 04:33 PM
Premium Member

I think It's time for me to chime back in!

First and foremost, One huge factor for me wanting to join, is to help those who have already and will be serving there country. What better way to support the troops then to be with them side by side. Obviously that is not my only reason, but it does motivate me.

I am looking at several different MOS's, none being directly associated with Combat. I do understand that when deployed to a war zone, it's almost in-evitable. One Unit I'm looking at is a Civil Affairs Unit. It's kind of like giving back to the people. Helping them, building relationships so we can become alias. I feel it would be greatly rewarding!

As far as different branches, well I'm limited. I did speak to the Marine Corps., however, I wouldn't be able to join (large amount of tattoos on arms, legs, neck,back,ect.ect.) New law passed April 1,2007.

I do understand that this is a MAJOR decision, which is why I posted on here. I'm trying to get as much feedback from as many people as possible.

I do know that recruiters are having a hard time with everything that's going on. And I know that the Military really does need people. I feel like I should do my part, put in my time.

Steveohh, F-18, Aznlmpulse, Wwodyz, Blown63Chevy, REEFER714, I admire you guys and hold the upmost respect for you all. Thank you for the service you all have done, and you all inspire me.