Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/05/2007, 03:19 PM
Rubberman

OT: How do you cook duck..

How do you cook duck tongue?

Man, those are really small. Must be hard to chew or do you just shallow them whole?

SteveU
Old 07/05/2007, 03:29 PM
Registered Member

Sorry, can I interest you in how to cook your goose?
Old 07/05/2007, 03:38 PM
Rubberman

No, I already know how to cook those. MMMMM

We made a special trip to 99 Ranch (I think Diamond Bar) last Sunday since we don't have one around here. I don't mean we decided to stop, that was the destination. They have some great foods we can't get locally and I saw those in the meat case. I'm not one to question others tastes in food and the question is sincere even though I didn't buy any. I think birds have cartilage in the tongue so the meat must be pretty slim pickens.

SteveU
Old 07/05/2007, 03:45 PM
Moving Along

Riff, the last time I checked, you need to tape your eyes back a bit more, then you'll figure out how to cook and eat more things out of the ordinary
Old 07/05/2007, 03:49 PM
Rubberman

Kenny... Just don't tell me what it is. Raff on the other hand has some serious eating disorders.

I'll tell you what though, i never knew there was fruit that was still good but smelled like it was real bad.

SteveU
Old 07/05/2007, 03:49 PM
Wet-fingered Reefer

lol...be adventurous!

http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=92685
Old 07/05/2007, 04:04 PM
Moving Along

Steve, that's not the only disorder Raff has. He actually thinks he doesn't need tape for his eyes
Old 07/05/2007, 04:13 PM
Rubberman

Hey, they let us in!

Doing Asian dinners from Stater Bros is just sooooo wrong.

SteveU
Old 07/05/2007, 04:14 PM
Registered Member

I've actually had it before. I think the type I've had was stewed. Anyways, it wasn't anything to report home about. Its mostly to suck and nibble on.
Old 07/05/2007, 04:38 PM
Moving Along

What's wrong with Budget Gourmet Chicken Chow Mein?
Old 07/05/2007, 05:12 PM
Rubberman

Quote:
Originally posted by pookstreet
What's wrong with Budget Gourmet Chicken Chow Mein?
Now you're talking.

And Friday we'll do Italian!

SteveU
Old 07/05/2007, 05:22 PM
Registered Member

Other than animal's tongue, chicken feet is truly a delicacy...popular in all Dim Sum places. You'll probably like those better......just don't think of it as "feet". As far as I remember, some Dim Sum places also serve bowls of a mixture of beef blood, stomach, etc. Hey, if you want to try anything exotic, it'll probably be best to try them "professionally" cooked.

To answer your original question, things like duck tongue & other organs are mostly prepared by stewing in a mixture of soy sauce & Chinese spices, and I don't mean Rosemary, basil, etc. Other than duck tongue, beef stomach, pig tongue, intestines, and pig ears can be cooked in the similar manner, and has more meat to satisfy the stomach...

Other organs like pig kidney & liver, chicken and pig bloods, goose intestines, are mostly prepared in stirfry, soups, or in hot pots.

In the case of duck tongue, they can be marinated then BBQ...a fun snack. Another delicacy, chicken butts, are most exclusively prepared in this manner. And, NO, I have not tried the butts...not planning to either.

Did I leave out any other organs? OK, now is the time for me to put those pig intestines into boiling water...takes forever to cook those...

Hey, it doesn't sound that bad (or gross), aren't beef tongue & snails (escargot) considered French gourmet?
Old 07/05/2007, 05:30 PM
Rubberman

Quote:
Originally posted by firerock
and has more meat to satisfy the stomach...
Out of everything else you wrote I think that statement is the one that stands out the most. Meat to some is the primary filler in meals and that's where this differs.

All the other body parts you listed we eat every time we eat a hot dog.

SteveU
Old 07/05/2007, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gtrestoration
Meat to some is the primary filler in meals and that's where this differs.

Can't be more true...however, today the reason people are still eating these are more than just merely wanting to stop hunger. These ingredients have evolved to become part of the menu, not because other ingredients are not available, but because of the diversity they offer. Each part of the animal body has different flavors and textures...just as different parts and grades of beef.

I don't want to give the impression that every Chinese eat these everyday in every meal...I am sure someone might, but most not. These are just "ingredients" that Chinese use, just as beef, chicken, tofu, vegetables, etc. are used in the dishes. It gives the dish different flavor and texture that's not found in other ingredients.
Old 07/05/2007, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gtrestoration

All the other body parts you listed we eat every time we eat a hot dog.

SteveU
Now that gives me a different perspective at the hot dog...

But then what do you think is used to make that sausage...it is pig intestines that holds the sausages together...not to mention the ingredients.

Oh, another delicacy, duck liver in French cuisine. Maybe the French, Italian and Chinese all share the same ancestry when it comes to food?

Last edited by firerock; 07/05/2007 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07/05/2007, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

These are typically what you eat when you get a bunch of old guys together and they sit around and eat, drink (alcohol) and talk BS for a few hours at a time (the same old stories they tell each time they do this). FUN TIMES!