Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/30/2007, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

calculator question

I just used the reef chemistry calculator to see how much i needed to dose with my new knet products. To get to the levels i want it says i need 551mL of the part A and 87.4mL of the part B. If part A&B have to be dosed together and equally, how much should i start with?

It also says i need 1022.1mL of the tech M magnessium how mcuh of that should i dose to start?

Current readings-
CA 360ppm
ALK 9.0dKH
MG 1120
Old 06/30/2007, 07:11 PM
Registered Member

It says to dose them equally because they are considering that you want to raise one without raising the other too much or too little. They are made to raise alkalinity but not too much with respect to calcium... and vise versa.

If you happen to be low in calcium in the first place with respect to alkalinity, then this doesn't really apply.

Not sure what your starting levels of each are, but let me make an example.

If I start with Instant ocean, for instance, my starting calcium is going to be around 340 ppm with an alkalinity of 10 dKH.

Obviously, I do not need to add as much alkalinity as I do the calcium. I would add the calcium additive (Calcium chloride) to bump the calcium up and leave the alkalinity as is.

I am not positive about Kent 2 part. But most 2 parts are just like the DIY 2 parts. They are just premeasured so that if added in equal parts you will not raise one of the specs too high with regard to the other. This is a really good way to maintain proper levels, but not very good if you need to raise one and not the other.

Anyway, If I were in your shoes, I would add what my tank needed rather than to stick to the labels directions to add in equal amounts.
Old 06/30/2007, 07:13 PM
Registered Member

Oh, the Magnesium should be added first, since you sound like you need the magnesium levels to allow you to reach the calcium levels you want.