Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/29/2007, 06:01 AM
This statement is false.

I want to start a nano

I have read up considerably on nano tanks - on RC as well - and one thing is certain: If there are lots of controversial opinions on keeping normal sized aquariums then there is chaos keeping nano aquariums.

Most people tend to agree a Jaubert or Berlin system for a reef tank is a very solid way to maintain a healthy reef.

But for nanos - I can for the life of me not get these questions answered (assume 10-20g tank):

1) Is it required (or highly beneficial) to have a skimmer assuming you do 20% water changes once every two weeks?
2) Canister/extra biological filters - are they needed? Or would 1lb/g LR be enough with a 1" aragonite substrate for biological filtration?
3) Chemical filtration - is it necessary to run GAC or is the water changes sufficient?
4) Mechanical filters - is it necessary?
5) Flow - how on earth do one get adequate flow and oxygenation in a nano without a sump or overflow chamber?
Old 06/29/2007, 06:59 AM
reef girl

1. I use no skimmer
2. I only use my overflow system that came with the tank, added filter floss in the back
3. for chemical filtration, Chemipure and Purigen and a Phospad
4. no Mechanical filter
5. Flow, I use a maxijet 1200 and a Minijet 606
My tank is a 24 gal, 2" sandbed and 30 lbs of LR
I know many people do it the same way as I do, but some do add many extra things.

This hobby isn't just for the boys..

Its all fun and games until someone gets salt water in their eyes!
Old 06/29/2007, 07:10 AM
Registered Member

I think my nano is easy compared to any of my larger tanks. #1. I run a modded out css220 on a 22gal finnex #2 Just live rock and a good skimmer is all you need #3 I run a phosban reactor for phos control #4 No #5 Most nanos have a built in overflow/sump with a return and I have a korila 1 and some other small powerhead
Old 06/29/2007, 07:10 AM
This statement is false.

Are both the maxi and mini jet in the tank itself? Or are they in the overflow section?
Old 06/29/2007, 08:09 AM
Registered Member

What type of Nano are you trying to start? Are you going to go with an all in one like the bio cube or nano cube or are you going to put one together your self?
Old 06/29/2007, 08:53 AM
This statement is false.

Well, my choices are limited down here in SA. The one all in one I looked at did not impress me - it had a bowed front (which makes photography difficult), and the canopy was really fitting tightly so no air exchange - though it did have a built in overflow.

The other tank I looked at was an AquaH20 Platinum combo tank - square, rounded corners, light that fitted on the tank but no overflow. It does come with a HOB filter...
Old 06/29/2007, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

Look at the finnex tanks relly nice the 22gal rimless is what I have and I love it the skimmer that comes with it isent all that great though.
Old 06/29/2007, 03:05 PM
This statement is false.

Do you guys use an automatic topoff unit or do you do freshwater topoff manually?
Old 06/29/2007, 11:51 PM
Registered Member

It is little known that a skimmer for a nano reef does more harm then good. The problem with all skimmers is they skim both beneficial minerals etc, as well as bad organics. In bigger tanks the benefits out weigh the negatives, So long story short if you are planing on a reef dominated tank, it is advised to skip the skimmer.

In my 12NC I have my chambers as follows:

First chamber- filter floss, small pouch of phosoban
Second chamber- Stealth 50w heater, chemipure, Purigen.
Third chamber- maxi-jet 900 (the stock one works fine, but I wanted a little extra)

I find with 10% water changes weekly I maintain a very health reef tank. My lighting is a viper 70w MH, but the stock lighting is ok for most softies. for people starting a NC i would really recommend a 12g JBJ Nano cube, its is very compact and fits well on desks ect... I cant find any complaints with mine and evaporation with the stock hood is basically nonexistent. Go with 15lbs of LR and a 2in sand bed and you should be set

here is a secret link to get a NC for a lot cheaper:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc..._Offer-_-03_06
Old 06/30/2007, 12:01 AM
Registered Member

id go with a 1/2 or 1inch sandbed in a small tank
Old 06/30/2007, 12:15 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Str8baller
[B]It is little known that a skimmer for a nano reef does more harm then good. The problem with all skimmers is they skim both beneficial minerals etc, as well as bad organics. In bigger tanks the benefits out weigh the negatives, So long story short if you are planing on a reef dominated tank, it is advised to skip the skimmer.
Please elaborate on how the benefits outweigh the negatives for large tanks but not for small tanks.
Old 06/30/2007, 03:16 AM
This statement is false.

Just one thing about the 12JBJ - how do you get proper aeration? I looked at one and it was completely closed - i.e. the canopy fitted tightly over the tank with no obvious places for air to be drawn in... That is why I did not buy it.

And ofcourse the bow front - makes photography a mission.
Old 06/30/2007, 03:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Str8baller
It is little known that a skimmer for a nano reef does more harm then good. The problem with all skimmers is they skim both beneficial minerals etc, as well as bad organics. In bigger tanks the benefits out weigh the negatives, So long story short if you are planing on a reef dominated tank, it is advised to skip the skimmer.

In my 12NC I have my chambers as follows:

First chamber- filter floss, small pouch of phosoban
Second chamber- Stealth 50w heater, chemipure, Purigen.
Third chamber- maxi-jet 900 (the stock one works fine, but I wanted a little extra)

I find with 10% water changes weekly I maintain a very health reef tank. My lighting is a viper 70w MH, but the stock lighting is ok for most softies. for people starting a NC i would really recommend a 12g JBJ Nano cube, its is very compact and fits well on desks ect... I cant find any complaints with mine and evaporation with the stock hood is basically nonexistent. Go with 15lbs of LR and a 2in sand bed and you should be set

here is a secret link to get a NC for a lot cheaper:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc..._Offer-_-03_06
What evidence do you have that a skimmer is a bad idea on a smaller tank?
Old 06/30/2007, 05:40 PM
Registered Member

Some good info in these articles:

http://www.nano-reef.com/articles/?article=3
Old 06/30/2007, 07:10 PM
reef girl

the maxijet 1200 is in the rear left chamber and the mini jet is hidden in my rockwork

This hobby isn't just for the boys..

Its all fun and games until someone gets salt water in their eyes!
Old 07/01/2007, 12:16 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Subliminal
Some good info in these articles:

http://www.nano-reef.com/articles/?article=3
I can't say that I agree with that article. For one, the "elements" that we test for are the same whether for small or large tanks. I am unaware of any elements that people with large tanks test for that people with small tanks do not. That has more to do with what type of corals you keep than the size of your tank. As far as consumer test kits are concerned, like Salifert, you are measuring only 1 - 4 mL of water, so it doesn't matter whether your tank is 5g or 500g. The test kit only measures a small sample. Likewise, the concentration of any element is based on a ratio of solute/solution. For example calcium should measure around 400ppm regardless of tank size. The reasoning in that article just seems flawed to me. But I do agree that it's easier to do water changes for nano tanks. That doesn't mean that it's BAD to skim though. Whether it's unnecessary or not is up to you.
Old 07/01/2007, 08:20 AM
This statement is false.

I am considering a 12g nano with the following:

6kg (13lbs) of Fuji LR
1" of live sand

Zoanthids, Mushrooms and yellow polyps to encrust the LR

2 sea horses, most prob. 2 Lined Seahorses depending on what is available locally
2 Razorfish (Coral Shrimpfish)

4 hermits
1 Fire Shrimp
2 Feather duster tubeworms

Does this sound fine?
Old 07/01/2007, 05:38 PM
This statement is false.

bump?
Old 07/01/2007, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

no seahorses, its to small, and they run too hot for seahorses thewy need cooler temps below 75 degrees