Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/17/2007, 09:47 PM
Premium Member

Does anyone not run there halides every day?

Hi guys,

I have read where some people will try to mimic a thunderstorm and not run there halides for 1 day a month. They say their corals perk up really well the next day. Does anyone do this?

I appreciate your thoughts
Old 06/17/2007, 10:23 PM
Premium Member

Never have tried this, makes sense to do it at random during month 1 or even 2 days.
Old 06/17/2007, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

Interesting, I have a "Cloudy day" function on my ACLS that I haven't tried yet that dims down my halides to mimic overcast. Looks like I can set it to do it every 5, 10 or 15 days. Tagging along also to see who else does this...
Old 06/17/2007, 10:50 PM
espyesitis sufferer

I've been going 6 days a week now for the last 3 months. The only difference I've noticed is that there is less tint in the water, and I don't have to clean the glass as often. Otherwise, the coral and clams look the same.

Three months isn't very long, though. Ask me again in a year
Old 06/18/2007, 12:31 PM
Registered Member

when it gets super hot in the afternoon i will cut the mh photo period in half that day or just not run them. even though i have a chiller adn canopy fans i figure it will help maintain the longevity of the bulbs not running them in such extreme heat. measured my canopy temp one really warm day with lights on full blast and it got to about 97-99 degrees. dont think my equpt will fail, but dont wanna shorten its life if i can help it. i do this totally randomly. corals dont seem to be efffected either way in my observation.
Old 06/19/2007, 01:43 AM
Registered Member

i live in ca and i turn them off at least once a month because of the heat. i haven't noticed a difference
Old 06/19/2007, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

Mine dont come on on Thursdays. Actinics will still come on though.
Old 06/19/2007, 11:43 AM
Propagator Extraordinaire

Thread of the Month for April: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1078532
Old 06/19/2007, 01:05 PM
Moved On

Works great if you want to save a little on the electric bill, but any evidence behind the matter. But please, fill me in if you have.

If a coral is unable to absorb and grow photosynthetically that day, why would they be any happier? They are already getting twelve hours of darkness in the night. I cannot see how cutting out the light during the storm was something positive that mother nature intended to happen. Just like the power of a hurricane destorying reefs...

Last edited by millepora; 06/19/2007 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06/19/2007, 03:42 PM
Blue

I have three 400's over my tank that I turn off for an hour a day, each one 1/2 hour apart. The whole process takes 2 hours and there is really no time where the tank is totally dark. The mini lumenarcs really spread the light.

I haven't noticed any difference in color or growth but I have noticed that it's a great way to keep my temp stable.
Right when the tank starts to heat up, the lights start shutting down but the fans keep going. I get about a 2 degree swing from 80 - 82 for the whole day so not bad using 400's and no chiller.
Old 06/20/2007, 01:51 PM
Propagator Extraordinaire

Quote:
I cannot see how cutting out the light during the storm was something positive that mother nature intended to happen. Just like the power of a hurricane destorying reefs...
Well, since I'm going to assume this has been happening for quite a while, I highly doubt that corals are adapted to full 100% sunlight every single day for X hours. There are seasonal variations just like there always has been and there always will be, so thinking that cloudy or stormy days are something "bad" seems a little silly to me. Hurricanes offer a rebuilding period for reefs, just like natural forest fires provide a needed period for trees and plants to regrow and regenerate. You need to get out of the human mindset that things like these are always bad. They've been happening for a long time and organisms are adapted to deal with the scenarios.

Quote:
If a coral is unable to absorb and grow photosynthetically that day, why would they be any happier?
Ever seen what happens to an animal that grows faster than it's naturally supposed to? Brittle bones, improper joint development, and numerous health problems normally coupled with physical deformities can arise. Faster is not always better.
Old 06/20/2007, 09:13 PM
ghetto retro

I run a shorter photoperiod on saturdays and dont run the mh on sunday at all. I started doing this because i leave on weekends to visit my gf out of town, but since have read a few threads like this one. Only difference i have noticed is that my water is a bit clearer mondays when i come back, my corals look the same as always when the lights come on.