Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/08/2007, 03:39 PM
Registered Member

Branching torch totaly bleeching!

It started a couple of weeks ago. The coral tentacles became squigly and very thin. Then it slowly started losing color. Right now all heads (about 30) are totaly white. Everything else in the tank is doing fine. I have had this coral for 4 years. Dissapointing to say the least.

It used to open up and dwarf everything in the tank. Right now it does open up somewhat but more like little white bushes.

Can anyone tell me whats wrong?

ALL parameters are optimal. I have checked and rechecked (salinity was a little low a few weeks ago tho).
Old 06/08/2007, 03:41 PM
Registered Member

what about your lighting? if you've had it for four years and all of a sudden it just flittered out - - and your parameters are good, everything else is normal & the tank is stable ... it could just be it's time ----- or something else in the tank that is in close proximity? or lighting.

did you change your tank's flow recently? do you target feed?
Old 06/08/2007, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

I replace the lighting every year.

I dont target feed (I am sort of light on the feedings since i have a DSB).

What is the result of unfed corals?
Old 06/08/2007, 05:19 PM
Premium Member

The only time I ever see corals bleach is because of lack of light or too much light. tell us your perams, maybe something in the tank is giving off some toxins.