Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/29/2007, 09:21 AM
Registered Member

ASM G3 or Euroreef RS135

Which skimmer should I get for my 90 gallon with 70 gallon sump. Running 100-125 gallons of total water volume.

SPS mainly now as I am weeding out the softies.
Old 05/29/2007, 09:49 AM
Premium Member

I have had the ASM g4+ and now the ER CS8-3. Both larger than what your considering. I had issues with both due only to my own shortcomings. With that said, based on build quality alone I would definately choose the ER skimmer. I'm not sure on cost comparison but believe they are fairly close.
Old 05/29/2007, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

The Euroreef is built much better than the ASM. The cost is a little more but well worth it. Although the ASM is rated double that of the Euroreef, keep in mind that they are pretty much the SAME size skimmer with the same pump. The new Euroreefs do have a different needlewheel impellar that performs slightly better than the one that comes in the ASM pump.
Old 05/29/2007, 11:43 AM
Registered Member

Euro reef
Old 05/29/2007, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

Thanks guys. I was leaning that way. I actually phrased it that way to get some good feedback. I have an ASM G3 now for over a year. It seems that I am always fiddling with it though. I figured out when I first got it that the venturi need to be cleaned every week or so. One of the main problems I have with it is that it will skim nice for a few days then nothing then if I feed formula 1 and 2 flake food the thing overflows. I have a chance to get a 2 month old RS135 that was run on a 180 with no problem. $225.00 or less.

By the way I have a 90 with 70 gallon sump 100 gallons-125 gallons of water. SPS and softies but weeding the softies out.
Old 05/29/2007, 02:34 PM
Always Learning

ER, without a doubt the better skimmer.

Patience is the best remedy for every trouble.
Titus Maccius Plautus (254 BC - 184 BC), Rudens
Old 05/29/2007, 07:59 PM
Registered Member

asm versus euroreef

my euroreef rc 80 worked better than my g-3.
that was pretty sad.
then I added a sedra 3500 as recirculating pump on the g-3, and mesh modded both pumps and drilled out the venturi air holes.this made a huge difference.
before the mods to the g-3 it was a waste of money.
the 5000 that they come with is way to small for the size of they're neck.
with the added air from the sedra 3500 and the mesh mods and venturi mods the amount of air in the skimmer body is incredible.
but to do this you have to buy a 3500 and drill holes in a brand new skimmer