Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/28/2007, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

Lightbulb 29 gal build with pictures

I am recreating this thread because I can't edit the posts in my previous thread and the pictures are loading super slow.

Intro

I've been reading RC for a few years, and I finally decided to take the plunge. I've been gathering all my materials, and designing a plan.

I am building a 29 gal with a sump, and I plan to focus on SPS. Basically I will be maintaining this thread with updates whenever possible.

Please feel free to comment and offer suggestions.
Old 05/28/2007, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

Drilling the Overflow

I did not take pictures of my tank before I drilled it for an overflow, and I didn't take pictures of that process either. Basically I used a dremel bit and plenty of water to get a nice cut.

Here is the first picture of the overflow cut

You may notice that part of the corner is chipped, that was my fault when trying to remove some silicon using a razor blade. I will fix this before I silicone the overflow box on.

Old 05/28/2007, 01:12 PM
Registered Member

Drilling the Overflow Box

I ordered custom cut glass from a glass shop, they didn't have the right drill size for the bulkhead I'd be using, so I figured I'd use the dremel. Well when buying rock from a club member, he let me borrow his bit.

I then hooked it up to my drill press...

Used some plumber's putty, filled it up with water:

I set the drill press to a very low speed, and then I slowly lowered the bit.

Rinse and repeat

Testing and it all fit

Old 05/28/2007, 01:13 PM
Registered Member

Gluing the Overflow Box

I got all my pieces together and grabbed a scrap piece of pergo for a work surface (since it's flat and smooth)

Tape it all together

The silicone I used (except in clear)

\

And finally I glued it together

I am now waiting for it to dry, and then glue it on to the tank.
Old 05/28/2007, 04:13 PM
Registered Member

That's very cool, I've never seen it done quite like that before!

When you glued the overflow box together did you have to add any additional support? I'm not familiar with using silicone glue and glass so I don't know how strong the glue is.
Old 05/28/2007, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

It is looking good
Old 05/28/2007, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

Good looking build so far. Keep us updated with pics!
Old 05/28/2007, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

Gluing the Overflow box on the Tank

Okay, now that I've let the overflow box sit for a couple days, it is dry. This thing is very strong, I have no worries about it falling apart, even with the weight of pipe hanging from it. Next step is to glue it on, I do worry about the overflow box hanging on the tank, I will have to test its strength once it fully dries.

And of course some pictures of the process...

In the first post I showed a part that I cracked when attempting to remove some silicone...

So the first thing I did was fix this issue, I decided that I would post some pictures of this since I didn't post them of the original overflow cut out.

The tools used:

Removing more of the plastic edge to allow the overflow box to fit nicely:

All cut, came out very nicely:

And finally, after cleaning off the tank I placed the overflow box on top. Put a clamp on very gently, just enough to make sure it didn't move. Then I glued it, and now it's drying.

Old 05/28/2007, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

Are you using just the silicone to attach the oveflow to the tank?
Old 05/28/2007, 04:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ludnix
When you glued the overflow box together did you have to add any additional support? I'm not familiar with using silicone glue and glass so I don't know how strong the glue is.
All I did was use some masking tape to hold it together, then glued it using the silicone. It has dried and it is very strong.
Old 05/28/2007, 04:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WingnutSr
Are you using just the silicone to attach the oveflow to the tank?
As of right now: Yes. I will have to see how strong it is once it dries.
Old 05/28/2007, 06:01 PM
Registered Member

I would be interetsted to know how this turns out. Post some pics when its running.
Old 05/29/2007, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

Lighting

So I need help deciding my lighting, I was planning to go with 2 of these from HelloLights: http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=1349

Four 24'' bulbs should be enough for my tank? Remember I'd like to have SPS/clams, do you guys think this will be enough?
Old 05/29/2007, 11:39 AM
Bimmer Fanatic

nice overflow box. i might refer that to my brother that needs ideas for his new 29 that hes building.

*-Semper Fi-*

The Few,
The Proud,
The Marines!
Old 05/29/2007, 01:33 PM
Registered Member

nice job
Old 05/29/2007, 02:15 PM
Moved On

Nice job on the overflow box. looking good
Old 05/29/2007, 03:13 PM
Registered Member

I ended up going in a similar direction as you did for lighting. I started off with 24" coralife PC fixture, then added 2 HO T5s and eventually just got a Current USA 150 MH fixture and love it. It was like $250 from drsfostersmith.com, but if I hadn't bought the PC then the T5s i would have had enough in just that cost, turns out the fixture cost me almost double, plus I have the extra fixtures just laying around.
Maybe I should start a second tank...
Old 05/29/2007, 04:08 PM
Kiss my Wrasse

Quote:
Originally posted by dhogan
As of right now: Yes. I will have to see how strong it is once it dries.
I would not be too concerned considering most tanks are held together via silicone...the volume of whater in the overflow will be minimal, and I am sure your plumbing will not pull down on the box.
Old 05/29/2007, 10:33 PM
Registered Member

Nice job. I have the same tank running the same way. Be forwarned to make sure your cut edge doesn't have any chips (especially in the corners) Ideally you would have wanted to put a radius in those corners to help even out any stresses there. Some other people have done similar cuts to yours and had the tank back blow out after a month or two. (that's what stinks since it didn't happen right away.) make sure you do a water test and let it stand for awhile filled just to be safe . I set mine up in the garage for 4 weeks I was so scared and even flexed the tank walls a bit just to be safe. Not trying to scare you, but better safe than sorry.

As Husky_1 says, don't worry about the overflow hanging via silicone. Its not going to come off any time this century.

In regards to the lighting, I like the t5's because of their efficiency and low profile. I have 3 overdriven 24 inch bulbs over mine and its bright, however, I do miss MH and just last week bought the same unit morbius bought ($150) from a fellow member who had an extra. I'll try it for a while and see if I like it better. Tank is all sps no clams even though I did have a deresa for a while but it was growing too quickly so I traded it.

29's are really nice size systems. You'll like it a lot especially set up the way you're doing it. Nice pics of the progress BTW.
Old 05/29/2007, 11:46 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Husky_1
I would not be too concerned considering most tanks are held together via silicone...the volume of whater in the overflow will be minimal, and I am sure your plumbing will not pull down on the box.
I chekced today, I could probably pick up the entire tank by the overflow, it is on very strong - shouldn't be a problem.
Old 05/30/2007, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

I did the same thing to my 29gal. You can literally pick up the tank by the overflow box. All glass tanks are held together with silicon, glass and silicon bond at the molecular level.

Are you going to install some teeth or something to keep fish and things from going for a ride?
Old 05/30/2007, 04:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by impur

Are you going to install some teeth or something to keep fish and things from going for a ride?
I plan on using a black piece of acrylic and routing teeth in it.
Old 05/30/2007, 05:59 PM
Registered Member

Nice pics.
Old 05/31/2007, 07:50 AM
Registered Member

Looks good!

I have 220 watts worth of 24 inch PCs on my 29g. Don't forget that the tank itself is actually 30 inches wide, so you're going to have some space on both sides.

It's plenty bright, though!
Old 06/04/2007, 07:21 PM
Registered Member

Leak Test and Paint Prep

I've been really busy lately, so that's why I haven't updated in a while. Today I leak tested the overflow box, everything looks good.

No leaks from the overflow box, it is very strong, I don't expect to have any problems with it down the road. I'm very happy how it came out.

Then I taped up the tank to prepare to paint the back black.

Here is the paint I'll be using:

I wasn't able to paint it, because the weather wasn't vey good. I initially started outside, but then some clouds came so I decided to put it off until tomorrow. I made a good decision since it started raining.