Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/23/2007, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

Help with Octopus Skim

Hi everyone,

This is my first message here in RC and I love this forum!

I bought an Octopus DNW-150 here in Brazil a few days ago and I´m not so sure if he is doing his job well.
I took some shots of the skimmer and I´ll put here for you guys to say waht do you think about his regulation(don´t know the right word,sorry ).
My system is a 500litres with light stock because it just started about 3 months ago.

The problem is that the foam stay like in the photos but i don´t have a liquid skimmate,and if a try to put the water level higher,then the skimmer overflows.Any sugestions?

Thanks a Lot!
Erick
Old 05/23/2007, 09:46 PM
Big 12 Ballin'

Erick,

It looks like it's breaking in nicely. It took my octopus about 3 weeks to settle down and start pulling the good stuff. Please leave the water level low enough that it won't overflow and forget about it for another couple of weeks, then you can start to make more adjustments.

Have patience!

Welcome to RC!

You might be a reefneck!
Old 05/23/2007, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

Hi nebraskareef

I think my water level is too high do you have any picture of the correct water level in this skimmer?My water level is almost in the neck of the skimmer,do you think i should put it down?

Thank you for the welcome as you can see I took 2 years to write something here!But now I never will stop.
Old 05/23/2007, 10:05 PM
Big 12 Ballin'

Erick, I ran my water level right between the top of the union and the bottom of the cup. This is the water level when air is turned off.

Hope I didn't confuse you!

You might be a reefneck!
Old 05/23/2007, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

I think I understand!!LOL!!!

Tomorrow I´ll put a foto with the air turned off.

[]´s
Old 05/24/2007, 12:56 AM
Registered Member

I got to agree its most likely just breaking in. Give it a couple weeks to stabelise and you should be good to go. Welcome to RC !!!!
Old 05/24/2007, 01:33 AM
Premium Member

I have the same skimmer, I set my water level to the point where the foam just barely makes it to the top. Not sure exactly where that is, but it looks to be right at the neck of the collection cup.
Old 05/24/2007, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

Here is a foto of the water level:

What do you guys think about it?
[]´s