Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/21/2007, 06:13 PM
Registered Member

The ZeroEdge™ Aquarium

these look pretty cool, but I can't even imagine maintaining one:

http://www.zeroedgeaquarium.com/
Old 05/21/2007, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

Fish Planet has on of these things up...it's pretty cool looking but I can see kids already putting their hands in there...cool concept though
Old 05/21/2007, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

One of my LFS has one of these as a clam and 'rare' frags tank. SOOOOOO cool. How hard do you think the plumbing would be? The tank shouldnt be that hard...the worst part is building the stand where it has to drain into.

Did the ones you see have a black mesh around the outside overflow?
72w of fun :)
http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/MDethCKR/
Old 05/21/2007, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

I wonder how noisy the water sounds would be. Would that also mean you would have to clean both sides of the glass?!
Old 05/21/2007, 06:33 PM
My tank is too full

The evaporation on these tanks must be crazy.

To thine own self be true
Old 05/21/2007, 07:08 PM
Registered Member

My lfs has one w/ a solaris for lighting .......they are very cool. It is not loud at all.
Old 05/21/2007, 07:27 PM
Registered Member

Mermaid had one in operation at the WMC. Pretty cool!
Old 05/21/2007, 07:32 PM
Premium Member

I really like these and thought they were a good package. I particularly like the spray bar on the Fish Planet one.

Though, not good for jumping fish and now you have 8 sides of acrylic to clean.......I have trouble with the two I have currently and skip one every other time I clean.
Old 05/21/2007, 08:53 PM
Moved On

Just a thought, you could outfit a magnet scraper with two scraping sides and save yourself some trouble.

I would never buy one of these if I ever intended on keeping any fish besides seahorses/pipes. Anything can jump.
Old 05/21/2007, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

Very cool but not a practical reef tank IMO. There is no way you can get enough flow into one not to mention it would have to be fishless
Old 05/21/2007, 09:38 PM
Premium Member

like their sump designs. now if i could only figure out the flow pattern through the sump i might consider buying one.
Old 05/21/2007, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

i saw a while back in the san diego reef forum, someone had a DIY of these tanks. Looked pretty nice for a DIY.
Old 05/21/2007, 11:50 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KMP
like their sump designs. now if i could only figure out the flow pattern through the sump i might consider buying one.
Have you seen this?

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/5/sponsor#h2
Old 05/22/2007, 12:00 AM
Premium Member

yep - saw that dots. aside from the last sentence it's the same write up as on their website. i see the front is 5-6" water depth and the back will be higher, but i was curious as to how the water flows from front to back and the size of the skimmer and return pump areas.

i saw fish planet is a distributor. called them and the guy on the phone had no info/spec sheet to answer my questions. will have to call the company tomorrow.

thanks for the link though. any info is appreciated.
Old 05/22/2007, 12:15 AM
Registered Member

flow can be easily setup within the tank. a simple spray bar structure hidden beneath your aquascape can provide as much flow as you want, preferebbly have each hole directed to a wall to provide nice dispersion. a closed loop with a mag5 or 7 would be perfect for anything maybe even sps if done right.
Old 05/22/2007, 12:21 AM
Premium Member

maybe i didn't say that right, but what i mean is how does the water circulate within the sump itself.

it comes in the rear right or left corner, how/when does it go into the skimmer area? there may be a slot on the black wall but you cannot tell from the pictures. just wondering what the flow pattern is through the sump and more importantly the size of the skimmer area and return pump areas.
Old 05/22/2007, 12:22 AM
Premium Member

Ya now, your really starting to spark my curiosity and may have to go look since I am not far from there. Havn't been there for a while and may need to go have a look see for myself.
Old 05/22/2007, 12:26 AM
Premium Member

i have plans drawn up for socal creations to build me a sump; however, this zeroedge sump looks similar to what i did and has all the areas i want (i.e., skimmer, media area, fuge). at $289 though i could come out cheaper if i can figure out this sump design.

i dont' recall ever seeing one in fish planet. i saw on the zeroedge website that fish planet is a distributor though. wish they would have had some info when i called. i hate waiting when i get turned on by something :-)
Old 05/22/2007, 12:27 AM
Reef Cowboy

Wicked. But I got kids and they got hands... They are smart, (scary smart) but just my luck one of their friends would reach in and touch something venomous, or scratch the acrylic because they can't resist, or just plain poison the tank with whatever's on their grubby mitts. About 12 years until the last one is payin' rent or movin' out!
Old 05/22/2007, 10:01 AM
Reef Cowboy

Considering how different clams look from above, that would make one insane clam display. Anybody got a link to the
DIY?
Old 05/22/2007, 11:20 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by djscribz
flow can be easily setup within the tank. a simple spray bar structure hidden beneath your aquascape can provide as much flow as you want, preferebbly have each hole directed to a wall to provide nice dispersion. a closed loop with a mag5 or 7 would be perfect for anything maybe even sps if done right.
I would love to see one with some kick @$$ flow. All the ones I have seen have more dead spots then actual flow. It is a fine line to try and get a lot of flow and still have the water disperse over the sides evenly. I like the top down look and looked into getting one of these but the more I looked into it the less I wanted one............minds can easily be changed though
Old 05/22/2007, 12:06 PM
Premium Member

I've seen full blown reefs back east that had great water movement.
Old 05/22/2007, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by maddness
I would love to see one with some kick @$$ flow. All the ones I have seen have more dead spots then actual flow. It is a fine line to try and get a lot of flow and still have the water disperse over the sides evenly. I like the top down look and looked into getting one of these but the more I looked into it the less I wanted one............minds can easily be changed though
I too would like to see something like two Tunze's in there to see how it would react to the flow. It would probably be hard to look down after that with all the water ripples...
Old 05/22/2007, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

the purpose of the spray bars is that water will be evenly dispersed on all sides. without a flare nozzle the water wont be pressurized so it shouldnt cause any spots to have more flow than another spot.
Old 05/22/2007, 08:07 PM
Premium Member

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1021358

You guys remember Mike's right? Its about as close to being an Edgeless without being one. After seeing his I drew up some plans for a DIY one and thought about building it, but hadn't gotten back to it yet.

This gives you an idea of what an SPS/Clam tank would look like in one of those things.