Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > International Club Forums > Okinawa Saltwater Gang
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/21/2007, 05:14 PM
Premium Member

Bring A Tank Or Get One In Oki

Quick Question,
I was wondering if I should bring my 65g glass setup and stand with me or are there good deals on acrylic pre drilled tanks and stands available there? I will be moving to Oki the first week of Aug.

Brad
Old 05/21/2007, 10:05 PM
Premium Member

tanks are expensive unless you can find one used, compared to the states.

-Frank
Old 05/23/2007, 12:25 PM
Premium Member

Thanks Frank,
I think I will just take my chances when I get there and hopefully someone will be selling a setup. I will be looking for at least a everything. I am planning on stocking everything in my tank from diving locally. Looking forward to getting there!

Brad
Old 05/24/2007, 05:14 AM
Premium Member

if you have things like a skimmer, power heads and such, I would bring those....since you would most likely end up ordering it from there anyways.
Old 05/24/2007, 06:44 AM
Registered Member

As frank said, your best bet is to bring a tank with you. YOu can order an acrylic 180 for only $1500 just to give you an idea of prices here.
Old 05/24/2007, 12:24 PM
Premium Member

Maybe I shouldn't have sold my setup here. As far as lighting, is there anything offered locally or do you guys go through companies back here and get it shipped over?
Old 05/24/2007, 06:55 PM
Premium Member

everything hardware here is stupid expensive. you will order it stateside when you do get here, I almost guarantee it.

Give you an idea, a maxi-jet powerhead that costs $15 in the states is 6000yen or around $52 here in Okinawa.

Livestock is cheap, depending on where you go though. I had about 15 clams in my tank...would have cost me probably $1000 to buy them in the states, I paid 500yen (about $4.50) a peice for them here.
Old 05/24/2007, 07:03 PM
Softie Lover

Man i miss Okinawa, I spent 3 years there when i was younger (21 years ago). At the prices you guys are listing i would never be able to afford a tank over there, although the idea of collecting animals myself sounds like fun. BTW, where are you guys posted? I lived off base near Kadena, and yes i was an AF brat growing up.

Matt
Old 05/25/2007, 04:16 AM
Premium Member

I live right outside the infamous kadena gate 2, also known as BC street. Well, down the hill anyways. Bret also lives down in that region though a little closer to the pond. A few others live out near Torri station...the Army base. I cant speak for many others...

As for collecting our own stuff, not going to lie...ive brought a few things up. In general though, the livestock is very cheap. The clams I speak of, I bought. I was told "they are a little sour to eat "
Old 06/02/2007, 07:47 PM
Premium Member

I need to figure out how much weight I can bring over. I would love to buy a used 90 - 120g complete setup and bring it with me.
Old 06/03/2007, 12:12 AM
Premium Member

TMO should be able to help you out with that. Tanks themselves dont weigh much, so I wouldnt be worried about weight. I wouldnt worry about weight. Not to mention, I have NEVER heard of anyone paying out of pocket for moving.
Old 06/06/2007, 10:06 PM
Premium Member

I just went to TMO yesterday and my weight limit is 4250LBS so I think I can manage briging a tank with me. Do you end up paying any extra getting things shipped over there to the APO address?
Old 06/06/2007, 11:26 PM
Registered Member

shipped over how?? by TMO? as long as your within your wieght.. and dont forget, you dont count military books and work related equipment into your total weight.
Old 06/07/2007, 01:27 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by magrath
Thanks Frank,
I think I will just take my chances when I get there and hopefully someone will be selling a setup. I will be looking for at least a everything. I am planning on stocking everything in my tank from diving locally. Looking forward to getting there!

Brad
Brad, ...and on the above note. I feel that I MUST tell you that there are STRICK regs on taking anything out of the water in Okinawa. Dead or Alive....Is it done...of course, but if caught, the consequences CAN BE severe....especailly if the local community needs an anti-base story for the news that evening. there, forewarned. Live rock tht have been "torn-off" by typhoons (no matter how many years ago) can be explained. A 5 gal bucket of live corals in hand while coming out of the water with your tanks strapped to your back equal max departure of dive gear, frags, car used to transport them, oh, and a huge fine...
Just be careful...there are alot of guys here that can show you the ropes...and all willing to be of service.
Old 06/07/2007, 05:13 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the advice SC, I was not planning on pulling a lot out of the ocean just a piece every now and then and I was also planning on buying some frags from you guys as well.
Old 06/07/2007, 05:14 PM
Premium Member

What I ment by shipped over to an APO address was equipment and supplies shipped by mail order.
Old 06/08/2007, 05:38 AM
Registered Member

ahhh no, its the same as mailing something to california. Altho there are a lot of companies that will charge you a little bit extra, mostly because they only use FedEx or UPS and they now have to send someone to the post office to mail your box out. Then you come accross the ones that dont even want to do that.. bastards. There is an online site called ww.shipitapo.com (add another w) that I use when I find something that the company just wont ship to an APO address. you set up an account with shipitapo.com and they will give you an address to have stuff sent to, and they will forward it onto you. used them several times, very good and quick service.
Old 06/08/2007, 06:25 AM
Premium Member

yeah, I order my stuff from premium aquatics. I usually get the items within 7 days of ordering, cant be happier with ordering from them.

As for the ocean stuff....f-it. Its like speeding. you get caught, you get caught. Just dont be obvious about it. Thats my $.02
Old 06/10/2007, 11:29 PM
Registered Member

Magrath, when are you leaving? I might have my 120g cube for sale (everything you need except a light) come the end of the month. PM me if you're interested.
Old 06/11/2007, 10:39 PM
Premium Member

Thanks Sandiegan,
I PMed you.
Old 07/10/2007, 11:37 PM
Premium Member

Talking FINALLY FOUND A SETUP

Well I have finally found the setup I want. I am picking it up this weekend (without the livestock). I will be heading to Oki on 1 Aug and hopefylly my household goods (tank) will arrive shortly after. Looking forward to meeting you all. Here are some pics of it let me know what you think.

Brad

80 gallon complete marine aquarium center overflow with matching canopy and stand excellent condition running great would be good in any home or office. ~$3000.00 invested tank is beautiful. Will be sold complete with everything listed below included

INCLUDES:
Tank is only 2.5 years old and is glass 66” high x 52” wide x 19” deep

Equipment and lighting:
400 Watt 20000K Metal Halide Bulb x 2 with IceCap Ballasts
65 Watt power compacts x 4 with custom sea life ballasts
Currant USA heater/chiller with 8 watt UV sterilizer
Aqua C EV120 skimmer with Mag 5 pump
Mag 9 pump x 2
Phosbane Reactor with pump
Seio 820
Hydor Koralia 4 circulation pump/powerhead
Sea Swirls x 2
Silencer for overflow
Tunze Aquarium Dosing pump/system
Euro Fil sump 15 gallon
Power strips x 3 and lighting timers x 3 / Fan x 3
Filter socks x 3
Dual anti siphon bulkheads

Canopy and Base Oak
4” Fans 2 in base and 2 in canopy
Old 07/11/2007, 06:56 PM
Premium Member

Congrats BRAD!!!! That is am awesome rig...can't wait to see it once it's up and running!!!
Old 07/11/2007, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

I was station at Kadena from 1979 thru 1981. From my readings...things sure have changed there.

I was a licensed scuba diver there and loved it. I was too young though to really appreciate it. I was 18 years old when I got there.

I have read there there is a great pubic aquarium there. Has anybody gone to it?

Sorry to go all nostalgic on you.

29 gallon(January 06)
125 gallon(July 06)151bs LF 200 lbs of LS.
1 Scopas (Brown) Tang;1 True Perc;1 Blue Tang;1 Yellow Tang;1 Gobie, 2 Tunz 6045; 2 Koralia Pump4; 2 penductors on returns.
Check out the red house for my stuff.
Old 07/11/2007, 10:24 PM
Premium Member

I just got back from checking out the tank, it is a nice setup. Do you guys have any problems getting plumbing parts over there? I am going to have to cut some of the tubing and do some plumbing to move and resetup the tank.
Old 07/11/2007, 10:25 PM
Premium Member

I just got back from checking out the tank, it is a nice setup. Do you guys have any problems getting plumbing parts over there? I am going to have to cut some of the tubing and do some plumbing to move and resetup the tank.