Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/14/2007, 07:39 PM
Registered Member

High Salinity!

A friend of my son was moving so he gave me his corals on Saturday. He wasn't really into the hobby and used his tank as a decoration. He had a "professional" do the maintenance (and paid dearly for it).

I took buckets and carried the corals home in his tank water. When I got ready to acclimatize them to my tank I checked the salinity of his water. Would you believe it was 1.036?

He had a mixture of softies and LFS and a few tangs in a 75G with a sump. They all seemed be doing well but I never heard of corals surviving in that high a salinity. I am VERY slowly reducing the salinity to 1.026. I can't imagine the shock of adding them directly to my tank.
Old 05/14/2007, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

I had simlar readings when I started up a 58G due to a bad salinity meter, the float style ones. My corals seemed okay that high but I slowly dropped salinity over the next few days and got more polyp extension once I got closer to 1.026.
Old 05/14/2007, 10:40 PM
Registered Member

Me too Nuuze,
I had an old crappy salinity meter and all my corals were receding. I took my water to my LFS and he tested some in the refractometer and I was stunned when he told me the salinity was 1.038!!!!! I can't believe anything lived at all...
Needless to say, I did the same thing you are doing mwhite, I slowly, slowly, slowly dropped the salinity and once it got down to about 1.026 everything was much happier. I can only imagine those guys would not have been very happy had you dropped them into your tank directly!!