Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/23/2007, 08:59 AM
Premium Member

Black Cap Basslets

Hi all. I am thinking of trying my hand at spawning black cap basslets. I have a moderate (10 or so species) amount of experience with spawning freshwater. None in salt. I have read the article by Bill Addison at C-Quest about their experience. It seems like the major difficulties are distinguishing males from females and then hoping that they don't kill one another rather than spawn. Here are my thoughts--

I have a 90 gallon display tank hooked to a 50 gallon tank that I use as a "sump". Right now the 50 gallon contains nothing but cheto. I plan to add a fair amount of live rock designed to maximize the number of caves/crevices available. Assuming I can obtain a fish I believe to be female (I understand they are a little shorter and plumper than males) I will put her through quarantine and then let her acclimate to the 50 gallon before I add the presumed male. I am hoping that between the larger tank, more hiding places and the cheto it would diffuse the aggression and allow the possibility of a spawn. (C-Quest used 15 gallon tanks with a single brick as the cave). If the interactions look really bad I can always put one fish into the display and leave the other in the sump.

Wish me luck. Any thoughts on my plan or suggestions from experience are very welcome. This plan is several months off, but I will post an update when I have one.

Thanks!

--Ending with Apologies to All in Advance
Old 04/28/2007, 12:36 AM
Registered Member

The problem is getting good fish to start with. This is a deep water fish often collected poorly. Average retail is about $50 in my area so you really don't want to buy a lot of them. Best bet would be to pay a premium for a known pair of acclimated fish, try Inland Aquatics.
Old 04/28/2007, 08:07 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I have been keeping my eye on Drs. Foster and Smith to see if they would get in a known pair. I will add Inland Aquatics to my scouting.

Old 04/28/2007, 01:38 PM
Registered Member

Oh they will have them, just make sure your'e sitting down when you read the price.
Old 04/29/2007, 10:30 AM
Premium Member

Yes, DFS can be pretty pricey and I think they charge an awful lot for shipping. That said, I have never had a quality problem with them and the few things that died during their 14 day guarantee period were promptly credited with no hassle. I really appreciate that they make so many aquacultured corals (and fish) available so as to reduce live collection from the reef. And, given that I live in Wisconsin and they are a Wisconsin based business, it seems all the better to throw my money at them in (large) buckets. ;-)

Old 05/15/2007, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

Talk to Ken at Sealifeinc he almost always has them in. Never that expensive either. He is out of them at the moment but give him a tell and he will probably set you up.