Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/14/2007, 06:02 PM
Registered Member

Negative effects of pappone. Need your insight please

Guys ever since I have been using pappone my corals have been growing like weeds. I love this stuff. My mentor and I made a batch as directed and we have different results. I have noticed a thin film of algae on my rocks and cyeno on my sand bed. Since I have been using the pappone I have from time to time a coral that will start RTN'ing or it will start to flake. My water parameters are par because I keep my maintenance up on my tank. I want to contine using it but I am afraid eventually it will affect one of my prized corals. Has anyone had similar results? Not bad mouthing pappone but I know what issues came about after using it that I never had before.
Old 04/14/2007, 08:14 PM
Registered Member

Come on guys...There's a pappone thread below me and no one has experienced anything slightly negative?
Old 04/14/2007, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

I know sugar is really good at growing cyno when overdosed. Might want to back that off that part of pappone.

Would you consider your tank too clean?
Old 04/14/2007, 09:09 PM
Coral Killer

I've had the exact same results as you
Litermeter III,PCX-70 pushing 2 Eductors,Geo 624 Ca Reactor,125 sump, Dart Return
Old 04/14/2007, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by REEF-DADDY
I've had the exact same results as you
I do good husbanddry on my tank so I know it's the pappone. I am suppose to make another batch next week and I am wondering if I should make it without the sugar. I am going to do a water change tomorrow. Really don't want to quit using it but I also don't want to lose any corals either. What has your results been like Reef Daddy?
Old 04/14/2007, 09:27 PM
Flowalicious

The sugar isnt causing the cyano. The extra food is.

Covey, I dose a TON of sugar, and see no cyano. Where are you getting your info?
Old 04/14/2007, 09:31 PM
Moved out

Recently I have been doing a little sugar (read several threads on it) to excellerate bacterial growth to consume my nitrates. I've noticed a couple of my corals sliming from the very tips and looking like they are "burnt" on the tips. Just a couple of them. My cyano is gone though. I think I'm not going to put any more sugar in the tank for a while. I havent tried the pappone yet though, just added a LITTLE bit of sugar. Doesn't take much.

Chris
Old 04/14/2007, 09:44 PM
Coral Killer

Had a few RTN's, Cyano, lightening. I normally feed 4 cubes per day plus nori, I cut back to 2 when I was doing the pappone. So I don't think its extra nutrients in my case. I am going to make another batch with half the sugar and se what happens.
Litermeter III,PCX-70 pushing 2 Eductors,Geo 624 Ca Reactor,125 sump, Dart Return
Old 04/14/2007, 10:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Had a few RTN's, Cyano, lightening. I normally feed 4 cubes per day plus nori, I cut back to 2 when I was doing the pappone. So I don't think its extra nutrients in my case. I am going to make another batch with half the sugar and se what happens.
Same exact results. Just tested my water for Amonia and Alk/Kh and Magnesium: Amonia 0, Alk/kh 14.7/5.26, Calcicum 465, Mag 1300;
Old 04/15/2007, 01:09 AM
Registered Member

I've been dosing pappone. I have seen nothing but positive results from my SPS's but I have also seen additional algal growth in the tank. I'm now trying to lower my dosage and keep an eye on things.

While my numbers are spot on I didn't expect things to start off 100% when I jumed in increasing the amount of food I'm introducing into my tank. Like all things in this hobby, it'll take some time before a meaningful conclusion is reached.
Old 04/15/2007, 02:11 AM
Pappone Nerd

mmotown are you using the BC method? Because those are pretty elevated levels and 14.7kH can cause problems in some tanks.

Also what is your exact dosing regimen with the pappone (ie what time do you add, how much, do you use AA's, what else do you do, etc.). And did you follow the recipe exactly or did you substitute anything (ie frozen items, didn't let the mixture stay cool while mixing, etc)

Also are these tests the day after feeding, do you have nitrate tests, and what kind of kits are you using? Also what is your salinity?
Old 04/15/2007, 05:41 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Because those are pretty elevated levels and 14.7kH can cause problems in some tanks.
DarkXerox, the KH is 5,26 (Alk/kh 14.7/5.26,) and it is truly low. The process of calcification with those values is slowed down and the system does not succeed “to digest” the high brought organic cargo from the pappon. I would carry the level of the KH to decidedly higher values (10-11), would interrupt the somministrazioni and I would wait for of having a clean tank before other dosages.
Old 04/15/2007, 08:07 AM
Registered Member

I had problems when with it from the start, but it was becuase I was also dosing Zeovit and becuase of the suger that is in the feedings cuases 6 large Sps to RTN. I am now battaling bacteria in the tank and just getting a handle on it. I have stoped both Zeovit and the magic bullet that the italians gave us. I will say be carfull with this method as it will take some time before you will get it down to a science. If you look at the begging of the thread second picture down on the left of that monti cap you can see the brown jelly bacteria grownong on it. I also had this start on the 6 Sps that died latter. Here is the link http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1
IT'S NOT THAT SIMPLE.......
BAREBOTTOM ALL THE WAY®
Old 04/15/2007, 09:23 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tuesen
DarkXerox, the KH is 5,26 (Alk/kh 14.7/5.26,) and it is truly low. The process of calcification with those values is slowed down and the system does not succeed “to digest” the high brought organic cargo from the pappon. I would carry the level of the KH to decidedly higher values (10-11), would interrupt the somministrazioni and I would wait for of having a clean tank before other dosages.
Englash (English) pleez
Old 04/15/2007, 09:37 AM
Coral Killer

Are you saying 14.7 dkh?
Old 04/15/2007, 09:38 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkXerox
mmotown are you using the BC method? Because those are pretty elevated levels and 14.7kH can cause problems in some tanks.

Also what is your exact dosing regimen with the pappone (ie what time do you add, how much, do you use AA's, what else do you do, etc.). And did you follow the recipe exactly or did you substitute anything (ie frozen items, didn't let the mixture stay cool while mixing, etc)

Also are these tests the day after feeding, do you have nitrate tests, and what kind of kits are you using? Also what is your salinity?
I made the pappone as directed and all ingredients were fresh nothing frozen. No I am not using the BC method. In fact I was surprised at my ALK levels because. Here is my testing log:

2/04/2007: PH 8.1-8.2, Amonia 0, Nitrite 0, Ca 425, Mag 1240-1250, Nitrate 0, kh/alk 9.4, sg 1.024

1/14/07: PH 8.1-8.2, Amonia 0, Nitrite 0, Ca 460-470, Mag 1230, Nitrate 0, kh/alk9.9/3.54, sg 1.025

12/31/06: PH 8.1, Amonia 0, Nitrite 0, Ca 485, Mag 1240-1250, Nitrate 0, kh/alk 9.9/3.54, sg 1.024

As you can see I test at least once a month. I use Salifert test. I have been having problems with my calc reactor trying to get it dialed in after changing my media from ARM to Schuran back to ARM. I am having to use more CO2 than ever before to bring down my effluent PH. Also about a month and a half ago I changed from TMP to Red Sea Coral Pro. I don't think any of those would cause my issue. How can I bring my ALK/KH down when it's suppose to adjust on its own?
Old 04/15/2007, 09:38 AM
Registered Member

I thinks that what he is saying
BAREBOTTOM ALL THE WAY®
Old 04/15/2007, 09:40 AM
Registered Member

9.9dkh is great but i do not understand 3.54 on the alk side?
Michael
BAREBOTTOM ALL THE WAY®
Old 04/15/2007, 09:45 AM
Coral Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by trueblackpercula
9.9dkh is great but i do not understand 3.54 on the alk side?
Michael
thats in meq/L.

IMHO 14.7 dkh is insanely high, and almost double seawater.
Old 04/15/2007, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh got it
yes I would also agree that 14.7 is way out of control
BAREBOTTOM ALL THE WAY®
Old 04/15/2007, 10:15 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by trueblackpercula
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh got it
yes I would also agree that 14.7 is way out of control
Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How do I remedy this? I am do for a water change this morning. Also what made my ALK change? Could it be the pappone? I have some lime and my auto top off is a 33gal brute. What is the rule of thumb on how much lime to use? 1 tbs per gal or what? Thanks
Old 04/15/2007, 10:38 AM
Registered Member

I use 1 per gallon but its the ESv brand.
BAREBOTTOM ALL THE WAY®
Old 04/15/2007, 12:12 PM
Coral Killer

water change
Old 04/15/2007, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

what does your pappone consist of?
Old 04/15/2007, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
water change
Just did and will test my water tonight.

My pappone consisted of what was needed to make it. No variation of any kind and no frozen stuff.