Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/12/2007, 10:31 AM
Registered Member

Good morning,...lighting question.

Tank-55gallon HEX, tank is 24 inches deep and about 27 inches "round", If i got a 400 watt MH what would I be able to keep in there as far as corals are concerned? I am curious.

would this be too little or maybe too much light?
Old 04/12/2007, 10:36 AM
Registered Member

i wouldn't say it would be too much light if anything too little, but i don't see it being a problem.

i havn't had a hex so im not positive so keep askin
Old 04/13/2007, 09:36 AM
Registered Member

Maybe a little bump here will help.

Anyone else got any ideas?
Old 04/13/2007, 09:48 AM
Carpe Noctem

What color temp? For anything other that 20K, I think that a single 250 would be sufficient. Even then, a overdriven 20K 250 would be more than enough. But it really depends on bulb/ballast combos. You really can't say 250 or 400 across the board. There are 250s blowing 400 out of the water as far as par goes.
Old 04/13/2007, 09:54 AM
Registered Member

What is PAR?

the 400w is an industrial fixture with ballast already wired, I dont know the exact parts, a buddy has this light and was going to give it to me for $50 and I figured if it already has a socket, ballast and reflector then I would just need to wire on a 3 prong plug and hang it.

I was thinking of a 14k bulb.
Old 04/13/2007, 10:12 AM
Carpe Noctem

Well there is a possibility that you would have a $50 paperweight. Some ballasts wont fire some bulbs. I spent months researching lighting and to sum it up... I'm still not real comfortable giving advice on the matter.

Par is basically a measurement of the bulb/ballast lighting intensity.

You can start by checking out sanjay's thread and link to his website where he tested hundreds of combinations.

Link
Old 04/13/2007, 10:12 AM
Registered Member

It should work fine, a hamilton 14k or phoenix 14K would proabably look nice. I assume you are hanging this above the tank, so heat should not be an issue.