Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/09/2007, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

How much of a chance do i have of my mantis breaking acrylic(sp*)?

I was just at the lfs and they offered me a mantis for free,and ya, I have been doing research for a while,and they new that I was looking into one, and they didnt want it. So anyway, I think its N. Wennerae . He is about one and a half inches,and he is lime green.

He lives in a 7 gallon refugium at the bottom of my 55g reef. Is there any chance on him being able to break the acrylic that it is made of,because it sits above the power strip,and I have a pump pumping water up to it,so it could pump alot more then seven gallons out,I think I have like 10+ gallons per minute going threw it. So is there a chance he could brake the glass? Also,I have about 2-4 inches of live sand and a ceramic pot in there for him,and not much live rock that deosnt have anything growing on it that would fit in there,so do you think I should put something else in there? thank you

If you only have one hand will second hand smoking affect you?
Old 04/09/2007, 08:23 PM
Dismembered

I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 04/09/2007, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

i doubt there is any chance of a tiny mantis like that hurting the acrylic, so i agree and i wouldnt worry about it
Old 04/09/2007, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

I'd say that there is zero chance of breaking the tank, especially if it is acrylic. N. wennerae don't get large enough or powerful enough to break aquarium glass. You have nothing to worry about.

"We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and by the depths of our answers" - Carl Sagan
Old 04/09/2007, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

post a pic or twwo and we can ID it for you. at 2.5 inches there's no way a mantis can break glass let alone acrylic.

for habitat, he'll want some LR, sand (which you have), and rubble. rubble includes small shells, and/or small rocks (pea sized). to make rubble you can take a smallish piece of LR and put a hammer to it.
Old 04/09/2007, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

Yes it will need a big enough piece of LR to burrow in, shells and other debris. One concern is that it might chow down on your pods....

"Sanity? What would I do with something as useless as that?"
-Kennpachi
Old 04/10/2007, 08:29 AM
Registered Member

Ill try on the pic,but he is green in a tank full of green macro algae. Im not that concerned on him eating my pods,because I have nothing in the tank that really eats them (small sail fin tang(3"),coral beuty,tomato clown) so ya.

Also, if I put the rubble and stuff in the front of the tank do you think he will make his home there. And I also keep the refugium light on 24/7 because the macro really seems to do well like that, do I really have to turn the lights offf for him?

Old 04/10/2007, 08:36 AM
Registered Member

ok he looks exactly like the one in the first post in this thread. He says its N. wennerae,so ya.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1086530

Old 04/10/2007, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

I havent seen him since I put him in the fuge,any ideas on how I could see him so I know that he didnt die???