Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/07/2007, 05:08 PM
In Too Deep

Leveling an Angle Iron stand

Okay, Ive got an aluminum rack that Im going to be putting some tanks on. I need to get it level on my tile floor though.

Here's some pics of the rack and legs.

I can use some plastic shims but was wondering if anyone had any better ideas. Id really like something manufactured for the specific purpose but cant seem to find anything so far. Or just something that will look better.
Old 04/07/2007, 07:24 PM
Coral is a New Mom!

wood shims that you use for windows and doors can be trimed with a utility knife to make them look better.

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." -
Socrates
Old 04/07/2007, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

They sell adjustable feet on Mcmaster Carr that you can attach and adjust (like on the bottom of your fridge or washer/dryer...)
Old 04/07/2007, 08:26 PM
In Too Deep

Pbrown3701...do you remember where on McMaster you saw the feet you are talking about? I called them a few days ago and the guy I talked to couldnt come up with anything. I cant seem to locate what your talking about on there either.
Old 04/07/2007, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

I’ve always been interested in something JUST LIKE THAT. Something like feet that can be screwed in and out on each leg to level just about any bench, stand etc…

I sure hope someone knows of something prefabricated. Concrete is not always perfectly level and I’ve built quite a few benches, tables and things of that sort that do not seem to be perfectly level even though I know their perfect.

It seems like I’ve looked everywhere for this exact same thing and came up with didly squat.
Old 04/07/2007, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

ReefWaters,

If all else fails you could make your own or have them made for you at a local machine shop. It’s super simple and wouldn’t cost much at all to make.

All it would take is 4 short pieces of ‘bar stock’ or any solid material. Drill an appropriate diameter hole straight through the center. Tap some threads in the hole.

As for the feet … all you need is 4 bolts with a plate welded to the heads of the bolts. Now all you would have to do is weld the solid material to the inside of the angle iron legs (at the bottom of each leg) and you’ve got your own ‘levelers’.

Not ideal, but they would work flawlessly.

This would be some of the simplest work any machine shop has ever done. The cost should be very low.
Old 04/07/2007, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

Search for equipment feet on mcmaster.com. They have them with a load capacity of 50lbs all the way to several tons.
Old 04/07/2007, 11:13 PM
Registered Member

I have a stand for my 90 gallon just like that with the angled steel. I cut 1/8" aluminum into 4"X4" pieces and shimmed the stand with those.

Matt.
Old 04/08/2007, 08:44 AM
Premium Member

I got my adjustable feet from McMaster.com; there are great. I will be installing them on my stand this week. I think I searched for "screw leveler" or just "levelers"

If you still have trouble let me know and I'll get you the part number for mine.

HTH
Old 04/08/2007, 08:58 AM
Frag-a-holic

I just use pennies, stacked at the corners and about every 6 inches in between. I think it cost me about 35 cents to level my 30 gallon.

Save a reef, trade a frag!
Old 04/08/2007, 12:36 PM
In Too Deep

Quote:
Originally posted by msuzuki126
I have a stand for my 90 gallon just like that with the angled steel. I cut 1/8" aluminum into 4"X4" pieces and shimmed the stand with those.
Not a bad idea. This may be how I end up doing it if I cant find something else I like better.

RandyStacyE....thats what I should have done in the first place. And they actually make the bolt you are talking about with a foot already on it. The problem is, I have already powder coated the stand and dont want to have to re-do it.

If you go to McMaster.com and look at catalog pages 1308 through 1313 you'll find all kinds of leveling feet. But none of them will attach to the leg without welding a plate to it.
Old 04/08/2007, 12:38 PM
In Too Deep

Check out the "Wedge-Style Leveling Mounts" on page 1313.
These would be sweet....but not for $80+ per foot.
Old 04/08/2007, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

Bummer ... I though you just painted it.
Old 04/08/2007, 05:39 PM
In Too Deep

It only cost me $65 to powder coat it. By the time I bought a good aluminum primer and paint, I would have had almost that much in it. And the paint wouldn't hold up nearly as well.