Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/04/2007, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

can HPS be used for reef tanks?

I read somewhere (I can't find it anywhere) that you can use HPS instead of MH for corals. Has anyone else heard this? It would be better as far as the $$$ goes for both purchase and elec. used. If this was right then what about MV? I am just setting up a 96x24x25 ric and maybe some coral (trying to keep it simple). I have some rics and GSP under 48" t-12(2 act. and 1 18000K) now and they are growing. What do you think? I am ready to start getting the lights.
Old 04/04/2007, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

Technically some of the ballasts sold as HQI ballasts are actually HPS ballast. So yes there is potential on that.

HPS bulb though. Because such a high portion of the spectrum is in the yellow/red areas, the amount of usuable light for the corals is pretty low compared to the overall output. So no, not very practical, likely to grow algae really well though.

MV, Iwasaki 65k bulbs are actually MV bulbs so yes on that depending on the bulb you choose.
Old 04/04/2007, 03:39 PM
Registered Member

MV bulbs don't require ballasts though right?
Old 04/05/2007, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

Yes MV require ballast.
Old 04/05/2007, 05:29 PM
Registered Member

I'm referring to mogul based bulbs. It may be possible there are some standard based bulbs that are MV, I don't know.