Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/02/2007, 11:24 AM
Moved On

GOD, am I sick of this!!!!!!

I'm sick of people not doing their research, you think by looking at other people's mistakes you would learn something! I hate seeing a post everyday asking, "Whats wrong with my anemone? Why is it dying?" When their tank is only 3 months old with 90 watt lighting on a 75g.. I hate when people ask why their clownfish are dying when they haven't even had a cycle yet! Or people with THREE tangs in a 55, and yes I saw that today, and they had even more fish besides them! I try my hardest to keep my mouth shut, and not be rude in a post.. but come on now, people gotta start doing their research! All these fish and corals are dying/suffering because people just go out and impulse buy without properly thinking this through!!!!!!!!!! AHHH!!!! For all the new guys out there, PLEASE research research research!!!!

>>>>>>End of Rant<<<<<<
Old 04/02/2007, 11:27 AM
Premium Member

amen!
Old 04/02/2007, 11:28 AM
Moved On

I didn't mean to blow up, but it just gets old seeing this day to day, I mean do people not read on this forum?
Old 04/02/2007, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

I agree that it is frustrating to see people buying animals without properly researching their needs first, but a reasearch tool is only half of what reef central is. The other half is a friendly, un-judgemental forum where people who have made a mistake (and I'm sure, like me, you've made a few in your day xbamba), can come and try to rectify their wrongs. If people feel guilty asking a question because they have made a mistake, then we might as well shut this site down.
Again, I understand your frustration, but everyone has to try to be as receptive and helpful as possible, regardless of how dumb the mistake seems. Because one day, it might be you...
Old 04/02/2007, 11:33 AM
compulsive fragomaniac

you totally speak the truth regarding the direct proportion of death to ignorance.......

but, the quick road to 8000 posts is to answer that same newb question 100 times over the years

or respond to this same thread 100 times over the years

PWNED!

SCORE one post count heh
Old 04/02/2007, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

Let me get in on the rant:

1. If you are considering T5 lighting please look in the lighting forum. There are LOTS of threads and one of them is sure to have the answer to your question since all of the basics have been well covered. DO NOT start another thread with the lame question, "I am considering going with T5 lighting, how does that compare to metal halide?"

2. The diameter of the outflow on your pump is smaller than the piping you should run up to your tank in almost all cases. The directions that came with your pump probably say so, you just missed that part.

3. Use Phyto if you want, or don't. Nobody knows for sure if it's it worth a darn and asking again isn't going to change that, we still won't know. Same for Purple Up, maybe it works, maybe not.
Old 04/02/2007, 11:40 AM
Registered Member

I completely agree with this thread. i was in a lfs the other day and the kid that was selling the fish sold a hippo tang to a girl with a 20 gal tank. i spoke up and the guy at the fish store told her it would take about 2 years for the fish to outgrow the 20 gal. then he sold her a beautiful green gonipora for the same tank with no lighting! i was sooooo mad i just walked out and didnt even get what i went in for!
Old 04/02/2007, 11:42 AM
Premium Member

The big question is have we gotton the lime in the coconut???

That I believe remains to be seen....
Old 04/02/2007, 11:44 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jorgens
The big question is have we gotton the lime in the coconut???

That I believe remains to be seen....
Thank you Jorgens, we needed that. Monday's can be a little rough on this forum, people are really cranky
Old 04/02/2007, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

man.....things in your life must be pretty peachy to only have a reef forum to ***** about...... i mean seriously bro....

and i'm SURE that non of you "non-nooooooobs" have ever posted a duplicated question!!!!!!

riiiiight....... if you don't want to answer thier questions don't....but let's not be all holier than thou....
Old 04/02/2007, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

I agree I read a post yesterday and the guy wanted to know why his nem was moving.The tank had been set-up for 3 weeks that is probaly why.
Old 04/02/2007, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xbambamx
I didn't mean to blow up, but it just gets old seeing this day to day, I mean do people not read on this forum?
If the search button worked............. thats where im going to leave it.

Yes i know there is a google search...............
My Turbo Honda -> Click little red house.
Friends don't let friends buy from Front Range Aquatics
Old 04/02/2007, 11:54 AM
Premium Member

Well, this will be my tenth post since 2003. Not that I have not had questions. I always look for the answer first, find it, then no need to post.
Old 04/02/2007, 11:56 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mstng67
Well, this will be my tenth post since 2003. Not that I have not had questions. I always look for the answer first, find it, then no need to post.

=\ People like you keep people like me busy answering repeted ?'s.

Help
Old 04/02/2007, 11:57 AM
Registered Member

Wait are you saying T5 lighting is better then MH?
Old 04/02/2007, 11:59 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tkeracer619
=\ People like you keep people like me busy answering repeted ?'s.

Help

Huh? You missed that one........he's not keeping you busy.
Old 04/02/2007, 12:00 PM
Relax. Salad bowl is 300g

Quote:
Originally posted by hogben
Wait are you saying T5 lighting is better then MH?
Only in some states.
Do you have a barometer?
Support Intelligunt Desine!
I want to get a bunch of Hermit crabs and force them to live with each other.
Old 04/02/2007, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

MH ftw
Old 04/02/2007, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by barbra
Huh? You missed that one........he's not keeping you busy.
He has 10 posts in 4 years. He isnt helping anwer ?'s he knows the answers too.

All take take take, no give give give.

Quote:
Originally posted by buoymarker28
MH ftw

Old 04/02/2007, 12:10 PM
Registered Member

I blame most of this on the BAD LFS's. There are many good ones out there.

They go for a sell and then when you have problems they say "OH WELL" or sell you the magic recipe in a bottle. People expect the people who are selling them the stuff to give correct advice.

This is when people come here because they get no help from the LFS. If I had known about Reef Central before I setup my tank I could have avoided a lot of problems. However hindsight is 20/20.

FB
Old 04/02/2007, 12:12 PM
Premium Member

I am supposed to be answering other people's questions?

I don't think that is in my contract, Is it?
Old 04/02/2007, 12:13 PM
Registered Member

FB - I agree with you but honestly some people come here and there is so much information and so many opinions that it's information overload....so they start a new post so they can keep up.....and hopefully answer a question. How many opinions are there out there? trying to get a question answered on a thread that is 3 pages long and full of opinions is much harder than one woud think...
Old 04/02/2007, 12:22 PM
Unregistered Member

I think that a large percentage of users come here for a quick answer. My order of knowledge aquisition is:

1) Check my books. If there is nothing there,

2) Google. This ALWAYS returns SOMETHING to get a good start, and sometimes a happy ending

3) RC search - Sometimes there isn't enough info gotten from Google Searches

4) Start a new thread - Either I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for (but still have an idea of what is going on) or there is something specific to my setup that requires feedback.

Each one of those stops usually always gives me some information, with starting a new thread being my last resort. Most of my time on RC is helping others with an objective (as opposed to subjective) voice. Although we all know that isn't always easy!!!

I also try to keep my information informative and factual... I think there is nothing worse than leaving someone to choose whose opinions sounds the best. And honestly, that's one of the reasons I start so few threads when I need help. It's hard to get facts out of people... they often want to give their opinions, or give me advice on something that wasn't even addressed in my post. I try to pretend every thread was started by someone just as knowledgable as the next... I hate watching people talk down on someone else because they don't know something that 'seems' so obvious. We all started somewhere!!

Also, RC is great because often times I'll read an entire thread and usually learn something. I'm not always in search of people who need help, I just want to read what others think and are doing... there is a difference between people who want a quick answer and people who want to LEARN. Blah blah blah blah

Wow that turned into a rant!!! Sweet.
Old 04/02/2007, 12:22 PM
Premium Member

Just be glad that they even made it to this forum. That means that even though they didn't do their research beforehand, they're at least doing it after the fact. A lot of people never even try to research.
Old 04/02/2007, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

I added my BTA to my tank around 2 months after setting it up. It's now been over a year and it's still thriving. There was of course no detectable ammonia, nitrite or nitrate when I added it, though.