Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/30/2007, 08:49 AM
Registered Member

Talking my new maroon clowns PICS

Well for the last year my LFS has had a mated pair of clowns that I just had to have. Well it happened. The female is a huge 4-4.25 inches and the male is about an inch smaller.

I do have a quick question. When I bought my clowns, I also bought the anemone they were hosting. Well the clowns just thrash the anemone until it just falls off of the rock. I have to place back on a rock, than a couple hours goes by, and it, again, gets knocked off. I think its a long tenticle anemone (its the one in the pic with the male hosting it). So last night I went and bought another, bigger, anemone. Well they won't go near it since they have a home, I guess? Also what kind of anemone does it look like (its the whitish-blue one with no clowns. thanks for the help. oh and also the clowns play with anemone so much it does not get any bigger that 2 inches or so. when he was at the store he was easily twice that big.. what gives.

The pair with pappa in his anemone

Mamma

Pappa

Anemone....what kind?
Old 03/30/2007, 09:00 AM
Moved On

maroons are famous for beating up their host anemones, just buy them a giant one! lol
Old 03/30/2007, 09:04 AM
clownfish fan

Re: my new maroon clowns PICS

Quote:
Originally posted by gopens

Anemone....what kind?
M. dorensis aka LTA
Old 03/30/2007, 09:25 AM
Registered Member

that anemone(M.oreensis) should be in the sand. i would isolate it away from the clowns. they are way to big for it. they will end up killing it. they are very very hard on their anemones.
Old 03/30/2007, 09:33 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXH6
that anemone(M.oreensis) should be in the sand. i would isolate it away from the clowns. they are way to big for it. they will end up killing it. they are very very hard on their anemones.
but being they are already hosting it, won't they find it on the sand and keep hammering it or would they go for the other one I have.
Old 03/30/2007, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

yes cover it with a strawberry container or colander. those clowns are way too big for that anemone. maroons really beat on their anemones and unless you want to watch them kill it i suggest covering or getting an anemone that is approriate size for them. A M. Doreensis is a sand dwelling anemone, though some may put themselves in the rocks they are found in the wild and in most tanks in the sand bed where they feel most comfortable.
Old 03/30/2007, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

i just pulled the little anemone. will there, after a while, host the bigger one in the pic or do maroons not likke that lkind of anemone. also, i tried to feed the anemones some diced silversides. they showed no interest. is it becausze they have only been in my tank for a day or should they be eating no matter what. thanks
Old 03/30/2007, 12:46 PM
Anemone patrol

Both are long tentacle anemone's, m. dorenssis. The reason is keeps going on to the sand, is that is where the anemone's perfer to live. Place it in the sand. I have never had a long tentacle anemone attach to the rocks, only sand, and the bottom of the aquarium.
The marroons will host the other anemone as they are the same species. Just give them some time, also give some time to the anemone's to get acclimated and comfortable in your aquarium before trying to feed again. Maybe a week or so.
fwiw
Old 03/30/2007, 03:49 PM
Registered Member

i bought a huge tonga sebae(dont know the scientific name) and my GSmaroon loves it.