Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/29/2007, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

AP Fan Problems

Okay, I wake up in the morning, and I turn the lights on, but instead of the regular humm of the fan I get a very loud, angry sound that sounds like the tank is about to implode. I turn it on and off a few times, and usually on the fourth or fifth time it is humming normally. It has been like this for about three days now. Any one else had this problem? What can I do?

Thanks,
Jamie
Old 03/29/2007, 11:23 AM
Registered Member

I have had the exact same problem with my aquapod fan. I am also interested to hear what the problem is and how to fix it.
Old 03/29/2007, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

get a stealth fan 60mmX60mmX25mm I think. I bought mine used and it had stopped working when I got it. I have a Radio Shack special on it now but it is loud. They modded it before I got it and it keeps the temps way down but evaporation is high. Fan is by the feed opening sucking the hot air out. It does keep the temps in the 75-76 range easy this way. I will snap a pick tonight to show you. It is not pretty but it is effective.

Visit MAAST.org just click the "Red House"
Old 03/29/2007, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

I'm looking for solutions that do not involve me spending money. I simply have none to spare on things that should be working.
Old 03/29/2007, 06:02 PM
Touch me...Love me

How old is the tank? Current may replace the fan for you. I have heard of them doing that before.

SBC

it'll make a turd - Minuteman

This thread is just about to be closed - Anemone
Old 03/29/2007, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

a month. I have sent them an email.
Old 03/29/2007, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

i have the same problem...... let me know when you here from them so i know what to do.

mines about 4 or 5 months old
Old 03/29/2007, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

Stealth Fan is a good solution at about $10 or maybe less. I replaced my stock fan with this and it is way less noise at 20 dBA. Also I have a SilenX Pro IXtreme that I have not tested yet but is more expensive ($12) and only 8 dBA. Of course the louder one (stealth) has a little bit better air flow but I would guess both are better than stock. Worth the investment if you can not get a free replacement. For me the noise is way to important to worry about 10 or 15 bucks.
Old 03/29/2007, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

IMO the Silen X is extremely quite it has a very low db level compared to others I installed 2 fans in my Aquapod with both running the db level is still way lower than the stock fan that came with the unit.
Old 03/31/2007, 10:37 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
by Current USA
Dear Jamie –

Thank you for contacting Current USA. If you’d like a new AquaPod fan, you can contact your retailer to let them know you need part #7102 under warranty. They will be able to get any replacement parts you may need through their distributor.

Have a great day!

Take care,

Current USA Customer Service

www.current-usa.com

My dad has deduced that it is an allignment issue, and that he can fix it, but I know this "special order for distributor" stuff can take time, so I am going to get one anyway, because if he can't fix it, I don't want a broken fan for any longer than I have to have it.

You may want to contact Current USA if you have the same prob, so you can make sure it is the right model for your aquapod or something, but yeah. That is the response I got.