Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/28/2007, 01:12 PM
Premium Member

Question Gluing Spa Flex To PVC

Hi Everyone:

I want to use Spa Flex with my new system, and will be gluing the 'flex to PVC (probably schedule 40). If I am not mistaken, I recall hearing some time ago that you need to use a special glue for this type of joint. Is this true, or am I mistaken? What is the recommended glue to use for Spa Flex-to-hard pipe applications?

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Also, does anyone know where you can purchase the grey Spa Flex on line by the foot?

Thanks!

Scott
Old 03/28/2007, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

I used the same as the PVC. It does take a little longer to soften and setup compared to regular PVC.
Old 03/28/2007, 01:18 PM
Premium Member

Ahh, thanks!

Scott
Old 03/28/2007, 03:47 PM
Reefer

medium to heavy thickness glue is recommend I used the blue stuff, the clear is a little thin but would still work
Old 03/28/2007, 10:54 PM
SPS Slave

You heard right. I've read horror stories about spaflex connections breaking loose with standard PVC cement. I use Weld-On 747. Check the IPS Product Guide for details.
Old 03/29/2007, 12:11 AM
Registered Member

I used regular - blue in color - pvc glue with the purple primer. Make sure let it set overnight. Mine is rock solid.
Old 03/29/2007, 12:59 AM
RainbowAcro

It is best to use a glue that states that it is OK to use. The ROCK SOLID is exactally what you don't want. The glue needs to flex a bit, since you are gluing a flexable material to a solid material. Over time, the rock solid connection CAN fail as the flex in the pipe will wear the connection and cause small cracks. There are also a billion people that have used the wrong glue and had total success. It is your risk to take, but I'll spend the $3 on the approved glue everytime.
Old 03/29/2007, 08:07 AM
Conforming Non-Conformist

I've asked this question in a different thread, but didn't get any nibbles:

I received my spa flex and Weld-On 795 from Savko, but they didn't have the Weld-On brand primer.

Will regular purple PVC primer do the job, or should I start searching for Weld-on primer?

Thanks!
Old 03/29/2007, 08:10 AM
Political Inactivist

i've only ever used purple primer and standard pvc cement for my spa flex joints.

2 years and no leaks.
Old 03/29/2007, 11:35 PM
TRC Leader

Hey Scott, I used a bunch of spa flex with my system, all done with the blue stuff. It says flexible and haven't had a leak. I even cut some when I changed a fitting just to see how well it held. I couldn't find a problem.

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 03/30/2007, 07:35 AM
Registered Member

I have 1.5 inch spa flex and ther eis nothing flexiable about it.. well maybe a little.. is there a trick to getting more flex out of the stuff... I used the heavy duty 1,5 inch spa flex from savko as well..
I also just used hose clamps on the outside.. Stainless.. alot more
peace of mind then glue. Just used a nipple and clamped the outside. Then went nipple to pipe fittings.
Old 03/30/2007, 11:16 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the tips, guys. Ken- did you use the primer, too- or just the blue glue?

Donald- neat idea about using the hose clamps, too!

Thanks!

Scott
Old 03/30/2007, 12:41 PM
TRC Leader

Scott, I used the HOT blue stuff, you don't need primer with it. Just remember to hold it in place for 20+ seconds to let it set, or it may try to squirt out some and ruin your connections.
Out of 50 or so joints, I only had one leak, where I forgot to tighten up my pump connection

Donald, if you set your spa flex out in the sun, or heat it up before fitting it in place, it's much more flexible. Once it cools, it will hold it's shape. It won't make very sharp 90°s no mater what you do, it's not meant for that.

I used it to decrease vibrations from my pumps (outlets), and between the stand and tank (again to quiet things down) and when things didn't quite line up straight.

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 03/30/2007, 12:45 PM
Registered Member

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
Old 03/30/2007, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

for the best advice, from people who use this stuff every day, talk to your local pool supply shop... and for the best prices, do your search on pool supply companies as opposed to LFSs
Old 03/30/2007, 12:47 PM
Reefer

I just happen to have a heat gum for paint stripping, it worked great to get it in the shape I wanted, 1.5 inch would need more then the sun I would think unless you lived in the desert or something
Old 03/30/2007, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

Just a question, why are you gluing the spa flex straight to pvc? I am using barb fittings. So I heat the spa flex up with a heat gun, slip the barb fitting in the spa flex and once it cools it is on there. I do secure with a SS clamp just to be sure.
I have seen barb fittings for 1.5" pvc at HD and Lowes and of course on line at companies like US Plastics.
Old 03/30/2007, 02:54 PM
Premium Member

HI generalee:

Glad you caught that!

I should have been more clear in my intentions...I am planning on using hose barbs and gluing to them...Good point!

Does anyone go spaflex right to PVC.

Thanks!

Scott
Old 03/30/2007, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

Here we go again...

SPAFLEX is NOT designed to be used over hose barbs! if you are using it in conjunction with solid pipeworkand you require a non-permanent fitting, you should join the two with a union.

I say again,,, talk to the pool guys,,, they know what to use

sorry to be so blunt about it, but it's my field!
Old 03/30/2007, 03:05 PM
Premium Member

Don't worry about being blunt...We're all here to learn. If this advice saves me or others from a costly mistake, it works for me! Trying to get this right BEFORE I do anything!

Thanks!

Scott
Old 03/30/2007, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

Just to be equally as blunt....What are you talking about ???

I purchased my hose barbs (plastic nipples) from the local pool store .. and spaflex from savko (it was cheaper)

My pool store told me that they use hose nipples and stainless clamps for everything. Works great on my tank..

Why wouldn't it be "proper" to use them?

Even HD and Lowes sell spa flex with hose nipple connectors in order to connect with unions and ball valves.

I guess I am asking why is it not "proper" to use spaflex with barbs? Can you explain this further for us ?

Also I went with the shcdule 80 flex I guess its some heavy duty hose. I ended up trying the sun method and a hair dryer... it didn't give much at all.. maybe becuase I was trying to straighten 12 foot peice that I cut off of a whole roll I purchased. it was coiled pretty good. I am a maintenance coordinator so I do have a heat gun but i think too strong.. it is a 500/1000 deg
heat gun.. on the lower setting the hose started to smoke....
I gave up trying to bend it

Last edited by donald altman; 03/30/2007 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03/30/2007, 03:55 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by algaeguy
Does anyone go spaflex right to PVC.
Scott, I guess I didn't catch that you were using hose barbs, I was talking about straight spaflex to PVC. I hate hose clamps!!

I can try to take some pictures when I get home so everyone better understands. I also used sweeps instead of regular 90° and 45°. They have half as much of an area to slip into so I had to be sure that my glue joints were good.

You can kind of see some of it here:

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 03/30/2007, 04:41 PM
Premium Member

Hmm...now I'm more confused. I do like the clean look into the ball valves in your pic, Ken. I have an external horizontal overflow with 2 2" bulkheads flowing into the sump. Very simple setup, actually.

I was figuring that I'd rather use spaflex for the run from the overflow down into the sump. So it would be BETTER to glue the spaflex directly into the bulkhead fittings, or...?

Just want to do it cleanly and safely...

Scott
Old 03/30/2007, 04:44 PM
Reefer

I put an elbow in my bulkhead and then glued the spa flax right into it
Old 03/30/2007, 04:47 PM
Registered Member

What's the name of the really flexible ribbed tubing that has 1" semi-rigid ends that are pvc like and are not ribbed?

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.