Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/25/2007, 05:46 PM
Registered Member

ASM or Aqua C?

which one would you choose and why?
the two i am debating between are the AquaC EV180 and the ASM G2.
any opinions out there?
Old 03/25/2007, 09:43 PM
Premium Member

I have an Aqua c ev120 w/ mag 5 and was never able to get it to skim much, despite many many emails, the company said they give up ... but no refund.

I then bought and used an ASM g3 which worked great on my 92gal tank.
Old 03/25/2007, 09:44 PM
Reefer 4 Life

I love my AMS that is all.
Old 03/25/2007, 09:47 PM
Premium Member

i recently bought my first skimmer - asm g3. can't give a comparison, but after asking the question, many liked the asm. i have mine running on an empty tank right now curing some live rock. lots of fine bubbles and this thing is about as easy to tune as it can be - just raise/lower the outlet tube.

if you go w/asm - check out ebay. i got my asm g3 for $255 w/free shipping. best price i could find. the asm g2 is $239.
Old 03/25/2007, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

I've have a G-2 and it was the worst 250.00 I ever spent. It has never produced any good skim. the pump is too small for the size of the skimmer. I've done every mod and it still sucks. the skimmer fills up with bubbles but I have to put the water level all the way up to almost the top of the neck to get any skim at all.
Old 03/25/2007, 11:40 PM
Registered Member

asm
Old 03/25/2007, 11:42 PM
Registered Member

I had a EV180 and liked it......now have G3 and love it....
Old 03/26/2007, 12:37 AM
Premium Member

i changed from aqua c to asm. no luck with aqua c, great skim with asm.
Old 03/26/2007, 12:41 AM
Premium Member

aqua c . i ran a g3 and a ev 240 next to each other for 4 month. not even close. i also ran more expensive skimmers the same way , i still run the aqua c. the only bad part is lot more watts .
Old 03/26/2007, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

well the leader at this point is definitely ASM.
buddie, are you saying that the Aqua C is more watts or the ASM?
vanillagorilla, what mods did you do?, and what pump did you start off with?

everyone, thanks for the replies.

keep the views coming folks. thanks!
Old 03/26/2007, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

I don't have any experience with ASM but i can testify for AquaC. The only downfall on the skimmer is that it will require some finicking around to get good results. If you are not patient and more of a plug it in and forget about it then i'd look somewhere else. IME skimmer with high pressure injectors like AquaC or Becketts skimmers perform better. Just my opinion and experience so don't anyone flame me please
Old 03/27/2007, 02:14 PM
Registered Member

I have an ETSS....down draft skimmer...the thing works great!

my $0.02...

Good luck in your decision.
Old 03/27/2007, 02:18 PM
IN DEEP

ASM w/gate valve to fine tune.
Old 03/27/2007, 02:50 PM
Moved On

I would pick neither to be honest.

The Aqua C can work pretty well once tuned properly but is a pain to get there. The ASM is built very shoddy and is way overpriced for what it is. There are better built and performing skimmers out there than the ASM for the price (e.g. Octopus, AquaEuro, heck even Euro Reef for that price)
Old 03/27/2007, 03:13 PM
Premium Member

Given the choices you provided, the AquaC EV120 w/ a Mag 7 or Eheim 1260 will skim circles around the ASM G2. Most who have complaints of por performance w/ AquaC skimmers purchased them with the smallest recomended pump in an effort to save energy or just looking for the cheapest combination. If you go with AquaC, don't make that mistake. If you would consider using the smaller pump on the EV120, you should consider the ASM G2.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success

Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!
Old 03/27/2007, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

I've done the gate valve mod, the recerc mod, now the mesh wheel mod. I get foam, but thats it the foam never falls over into the cup. after about two or three days I have about a teaspoon full of dark skim, and thats with the water level all the way up the neck of the skimmer inside the cup about two inches from the top.
the pump is the sedra 3500, however if I spent the 100 bucks and bought a sedra 5000 I'm pretty sure it would be a good skimmer. but I give up, my MRC mr-2 showed up yesterday and its all ready putting out the dark stuff.
Old 03/27/2007, 09:36 PM
Generic Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dhnguyen
I would pick neither to be honest.

The Aqua C can work pretty well once tuned properly but is a pain to get there. The ASM is built very shoddy and is way overpriced for what it is. There are better built and performing skimmers out there than the ASM for the price (e.g. Octopus, AquaEuro, heck even Euro Reef for that price)
I agree. I wouldn't pick either. There are better choices.
Old 03/27/2007, 09:41 PM
Registered Member

I have an ASM G1-X on my 75 and it works great.
Old 03/27/2007, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

I have a ev-120 with mag7 and it skims pretty good. I've noticed you can't get wet skimmate. I would go aqua c.
Old 03/29/2007, 04:17 PM
Registered Member

hmm
seems like its coming back around to AquaC.
those that said niether, i should say that i dont have 700-1500-+ to spend on some monstrosity. while there may be "better" skimmers out there, these two seem to have had good reviews, and are in the neighborhood, know what i'm saying?
thank you for your posts just the same though, and if you are suggesting similarly priced skimmers other than these, please do share your ideas.

so the neighborhood in question is a 300 max price. there may be some that i missed, so i invite anyone to make suggestions with these things in mind:
i cant spend more than 300 on a skimmer
i am planning a lps/zoos type system
my original plan was for a 30g display with 29g sump, but i already have an upgrade in mind to make a 75 drain into the 30 for the sump and that drain into a 55g refugium. gotta love that mts. i figured that since i already have the 30 and the 55(tempered, so i cant drill it anywhere), and i am gonna have to buy a tank either way, i would be happier with the bigger system if i can do it. none of the equipment is purchased either, so again i figure i may as well buy the upgrades first. so now that you may know more than you need to.......
i will say thanks again and i look forward to furthur recomendations
Old 03/29/2007, 04:32 PM
Registered Member

check octopus or aquaeuro threads... both inexpensive and work better from what most say... they don't have the long term reputation or marketing investments, therefore they are very inexpensive for what they are relative to others. check out the aquaeuro models at reefnut.com the prices can't be beat and the skimmers are supposedly awesome, i am gonna try the recirculating 135 (similar rating to those you mention)
Old 03/29/2007, 04:32 PM
Registered Member

check octopus or aquaeuro threads... both inexpensive and work better from what most say... they don't have the long term reputation or marketing investments, therefore they are very inexpensive for what they are relative to others. check out the aquaeuro models at reefnut.com the prices can't be beat and the skimmers are supposedly awesome, i am gonna try the recirculating 135 (similar rating to those you mention) and only $200
Old 03/29/2007, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

please remove first post sorry
Old 03/29/2007, 05:40 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by dwd5813
hmm
seems like its coming back around to AquaC.
those that said niether, i should say that i dont have 700-1500-+ to spend on some monstrosity. while there may be "better" skimmers out there, these two seem to have had good reviews, and are in the neighborhood, know what i'm saying?
thank you for your posts just the same though, and if you are suggesting similarly priced skimmers other than these, please do share your ideas.

so the neighborhood in question is a 300 max price. there may be some that i missed, so i invite anyone to make suggestions with these things in mind:
i cant spend more than 300 on a skimmer
i am planning a lps/zoos type system
my original plan was for a 30g display with 29g sump, but i already have an upgrade in mind to make a 75 drain into the 30 for the sump and that drain into a 55g refugium. gotta love that mts. i figured that since i already have the 30 and the 55(tempered, so i cant drill it anywhere), and i am gonna have to buy a tank either way, i would be happier with the bigger system if i can do it. none of the equipment is purchased either, so again i figure i may as well buy the upgrades first. so now that you may know more than you need to.......
i will say thanks again and i look forward to furthur recomendations

http://octopusskimmer.com
http://www.reefnut.com/reefshop/inde...2efcdf9a00e560

They look affordable IMO. And they are built better than ASM
Old 03/29/2007, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

I would go with the aquaeuro myself, or find a nice used unit.